LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/C not on when car is started?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 02:04 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A/C not on when car is started?

I notice every time I start the car the A/C is "not" automatically on even though the A/C was on the last time I drove, and I did not turn off the A/C before I use the start/stop button to stop the car.

Setting issues?
Old 08-19-17, 03:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If it's not in the settings (don't think it is) it could be the battery. Mine stays on if I leave it on.
Old 08-19-17, 08:01 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ABbirds
I notice every time I start the car the A/C is "not" automatically on even though the A/C was on the last time I drove, and I did not turn off the A/C before I use the start/stop button to stop the car.

Setting issues?

It it is the air filter door jammed, make sure the filter is installed correctly
The following users liked this post:
JCR27 (10-31-23)
Old 08-19-17, 09:47 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the climate temperature reset to 75 degrees Fahrenheit every time it does turn on?

I know sometimes when the battery either gets disconnected or replaced, it can reset the AC servo motor. In relation, causing the climate control symptoms you are experiencing. Have the dealership or a Lexus shop re-initialize the AC servo system.

Worst case scenario is the air inlet door assembly, linkage, and servo motor are damaged. Someone probably tried replacing the cabin filter while the air inlet door was down and broke it. Not a cheap fix, the dash has to be pulled out to repair this.

Last edited by Lexusdk; 08-19-17 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 08:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Worst case scenario is the air inlet door assembly, linkage, and servo motor are damaged. Someone probably tried replacing the cabin filter while the air inlet door was down and broke it. Not a cheap fix, the dash has to be pulled out to repair this.
That would be worst case, but more than a few members have been able to repair it without taking the dash apart. Depends on the extent of damage. Sometimes, it's just a matter of putting the linkage back together. Hope it's the latter.

OP: let us know how you make out.
Old 08-20-17, 12:15 PM
TofuMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, to echo what roadfrog said, I too had issue when I got my car, opened the cabin filter slot and confirmed door that controls recirculation and fresh air wasn't moving.

Took glove box out and was able to re-hinge the actuator arm and voila, climate control back to how it was meant to be
​​​
Old 08-21-17, 12:56 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TofuMan
Yep, to echo what roadfrog said, I too had issue when I got my car, opened the cabin filter slot and confirmed door that controls recirculation and fresh air wasn't moving.

Took glove box out and was able to re-hinge the actuator arm and voila, climate control back to how it was meant to be
​​​
Not a 5 min job for sure, took me about 2 hours to do but, the directions on how to pull the glove box are on this site step by step (adjusting the glove box search for it) it was not that bad, the linkage took about 3 seconds to do.

Even adjusted the saggy glove box while I was there, so much better (Again, easy to do , just a few screws)
Old 08-22-17, 06:56 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Thank you all for the replies.

I do recall a few times the temperature did reset at 75F when I turned on the A/C manually......

Also for the past few days the A/C was on automatically when I started the car within a short time after it was drove, say within 1/2 hour

cabin filter was replaced by a non-Lexus auto store two months ago before I bought the car. So may be the cabin filter was installed incorrectly....I will take a look at the filter. I think I found a you tube video on how to change the cabin filter. If there is one on this forum pls guide me to find it.

what and where is the "air inlet door assembly"? I am lost when you mentioned servo motor, linkage, actuator arm and volia....

I am not a handy man at all and I am a bit worry now since it could be a major repair job which I can't handle.

Obviously I don't want to go to the dealer at this point.

If I don't do anything what would be the worst case? The thing is I need to turn on the A/C manually most of the time.
Old 08-23-17, 08:59 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Open your glove box, remove the small black door at the back of the glovebox, and you should see either the filter or an "accordian-style" door. With the car in accessory mode (push Start 2x without foot on brake) push the recirculation button a few times. If the "accordian-style" door doesn't move, something is wrong which will require you to remove the glovebox to determine.

If you see the filter when you open the glovebox, make sure it is fully seated and clipped into place as this has caused the same issue for others.

If you don't do anything you will simply need to start it each time you enter the vehicle and will not be able to use the recirculate feature. It's not hard, just take the time to do it so you can enjoy the car as it was intended.
The following 2 users liked this post by 213374U:
ABbirds (08-24-17), JCR27 (10-31-23)
Old 08-24-17, 07:58 AM
ABbirds
Driver

ok this morning I did take out the filter and put it back following all your instructions, it seems nothing wrong with the filter except I found a couple of dead ants body!

However the filter door is closed when I press recirculated air mode, filter door is opened when I press recycle mode, which is contrary to what it should be per your instructions?

I then started the car, A/C is NOT on, then I turned on the A/C, and the temp was at 75F.
Old 08-24-17, 08:30 AM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok this morning I did take out the filter and put it back following all your instructions, it seems nothing wrong with the filter except I found a couple of dead ants body!

However the filter door is closed when I press recirculated air mode, filter door is opened when I press recycle mode, which is contrary to what it should be per your instructions?

I then started the car, A/C is NOT on, then I turned on the A/C, and the temp was at 75F.
bring it to the dealership. Have them reinitialize the ac servo motor. If anything, you might end up needing a whole harness for the servo motors
Old 08-25-17, 07:32 AM
ABbirds
Driver

Thanks.

Only Lexus dealership can reinitialize? Depending on how much is the service I may live with this issue for now, unless it affects badly other parts of the car.
Old 08-25-17, 12:00 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks.

Only Lexus dealership can reinitialize? Depending on how much is the service I may live with this issue for now, unless it affects badly other parts of the car.
You could always try pulling the battery for like 20 min...(will reset radio FYI) and try again...maybe you'll get lucky.

For sure it's not the linkage..as is a very common problem on here (people not reading directions and changing the internal air filter)
Old 09-19-17, 11:25 AM
ABbirds
Driver

went to a local Lexus specialized auto shop(they only repair Lexus and in business for a while!) and they told me my A/C problem is the A/C amplifier, not the re-initialize problem. costs of parts & labor to replace it is around $850. The owner talked to me and did not bother to ask me if I would replace it...he told me it is inconvenience that I need to press the button to turn on the A/C but otherwise the A/C is working properly.

He also told me cost of oil change for my car is only $72! This is likely a good shop for my car's service from now on....
Old 09-20-17, 04:16 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For what it's worth, there's a setting within Carista for exactly this. So it wouldn't hurt to connect and see if the setting is actually turned on. Could be that simple.

Quick Reply: A/C not on when car is started?