LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any dash cam recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 11:29 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Any dash cam recommendations?

I've read about quite a few accidents in the 430 and 460 forums. Does anyone have any recommendations or first-hand experience with particular dash cam models? Dash cams are not that common and so it's difficult to find good reviews. I was going through a car wash a few months back and was behind a Honda Accord with dash cam stickers. I struck up a conversation with the owner after both our cars finished their wash. His setup was pretty impressive with mobile phone integration. He eventually replaced it with a QVIA AR790 dash cam (front and rear cameras). He said he liked it but returned it because it had some rare GPS issue. In my research, I've concluded that having a screen for the dash cam isn't really necessary, especially if it can link to my phone. Anyone have any particularly positive experiences with a dash cam brand/model?
Old 07-24-17, 05:23 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought the ToGuard dash cam off Amazon and hard wired it to fuse box with the SpyTech mini USB assembly that included the add a fuse. I only have one facing the front and it has done everything I had hoped it would. Holds up well in extreme heat also
Old 07-24-17, 05:33 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I have the Garmin GPS with cam. Put in a large SD card and your good. I don't save the video unless something happens i catch on video.
Old 07-24-17, 06:33 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I have an authentic Mini805 (not a cheap chinese clone from eBay). It works very well but its a couple of years old and I'm sure there are better ones available now. The hardest part is the power cord which I havent got around to hiding and looks a bit messy strung across the dash.
Old 07-24-17, 07:35 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Already discussed here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-dash-cam.html
Old 07-24-17, 08:04 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Higgie
Oh thanks, Higgie! I did try a search but didn't get good results. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-17, 08:51 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got two dash cam in my LS400. I got the G1WH up front and Mobius in the back. Sadly they got batteries in them and batteries don't do so well in the heat. I actually today just put a capacitor in the Mobius since the heat finished the battery. Overall they are good cams for the price, however, I am looking into getting something with parking mode and can do good in the heat.
Old 07-25-17, 03:41 AM
Kruger
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a Rexing V1 for over a year in the Houston heat and it has worked the entire time. I've captured one accident, not involving my car fortunately. It is very easy to use. I really should get it hardwired I suppose, but I've just run the power cord around the windshield trim and plugged it into the rear cigarette lighter.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-25-17, 10:04 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kruger
I've had a Rexing V1 for over a year in the Houston heat and it has worked the entire time. I've captured one accident, not involving my car fortunately. It is very easy to use. I really should get it hardwired I suppose, but I've just run the power cord around the windshield trim and plugged it into the rear cigarette lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-.../dp/B00X528FNE
I think I looked at that cam also when looking for a dash cam however back then when I was looking I was on a budget lol. I know thinkware is going to release their F800 soon so I may look into that depending on how much it is and how good the video quality is. Parking mode is a good feature to see how those unwanted dents formed on your car when parked.
Old 07-25-17, 10:08 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by winter4w
I think I looked at that cam also when looking for a dash cam however back then when I was looking I was on a budget lol. I know thinkware is going to release their F800 soon so I may look into that depending on how much it is and how good the video quality is. Parking mode is a good feature to see how those unwanted dents formed on your car when parked.
Yes! I'm curious about the F800 too.
Old 07-25-17, 01:06 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I hope they increase the bitrate on it so there will be better quality than the F770. I like the F770 but while moving some things seem to be washed out a bit. Blackvue cameras look like they pack good features however the rear cam is 720p and that's what made me look away from that. Some people say video quality on a dash cam is not important however to me it is since it is the factor that will decide if you can read plate numbers or not.
Old 08-01-17, 07:41 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Just thought I may bring some life back to this thread, has anyone checked out the BlackSys CH-200? It's a new dash cam that BlackSys released and it seems like it has better video quality than the F770. I may get this one for my LS400 just wondering what are all of your thoughts?
Old 08-01-17, 08:31 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by winter4w
Just thought I may bring some life back to this thread, has anyone checked out the BlackSys CH-200? It's a new dash cam that BlackSys released and it seems like it has better video quality than the F770. I may get this one for my LS400 just wondering what are all of your thoughts?
I haven't tried the BlackSys and was thinking I'd try to save some money and go with the F770 (as opposed to the F800), but the F770 is still $400 and the F800 has some preorders of $350. I don't know if I want to spend that much on my first camera and may just go with two VIOFO A119, one for front and one for rear, at about $99 each.
Old 08-01-17, 09:26 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

I haven't tried the BlackSys and was thinking I'd try to save some money and go with the F770 (as opposed to the F800), but the F770 is still $400 and the F800 has some preorders of $350. I don't know if I want to spend that much on my first camera and may just go with two VIOFO A119, one for front and one for rear, at about $99 each.
I always heard 2 cam systems are better than 2ch systems. However, on some dash cam sites, they have video samples of the F800 and I am not sure if it is better than the CH-200. To me, the video still seems washed out and it does cost extra for the rear cam. The CH-200 you get everything in the box. I am still stuck on what to get but after seeing the footage of the CH-200 I may lead to that more. However, I will say the F770 does have better night footage than the CH-200 but they are close. I'm going to wait a bit and see what happens but not sure how much longer my G1WH will hold up in the heat since it is showing signs of the battery failing again.
Old 08-02-17, 06:06 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I am curious how the video quality appears on the REAR "dash cam" with 20% rear window tint.

Quick Reply: Any dash cam recommendations?