LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 09:34 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dash cam

Curious if anyone has them installed and the make/model recommended. I do want to maintain the minimalist look and hate clutter. Any ideas on this?

I would like to have;
- at least 1080p
- wide lense
- low profile/inconspicuous
- reliability

Bonus; front and back cams system/ parked mode.

I think i need one because i believe one should never underestimate the stupidity of human race!

i looked at garmin 65w and it seems nice.

Appreciate the input!

Disclaimer- i am not mechanically inclined and planning/ willing to get a "pro" to get this done to maintaine the "original look" within the car.
Old 05-16-17, 10:30 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Check out the Mini805. Small, discrete and very good quality. Reviewed on dashcamtalk.com. Just be careful where you buy it - there are a lot of identical looking clones on e-bay that aren't as good.
Old 05-16-17, 10:45 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

This is mine:
MIO (Magellan) Mivue 658 Wifi

5 volt powersupply is behind the rain sensor (i used the wires for the rearview mirror)

The following users liked this post:
jimrd (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 11:50 AM
aw001
Driver

Originally Posted by Higgie
This is mine:
MIO (Magellan) Mivue 658 Wifi

https://youtu.be/Jx3UhxGhSZk

5 volt powersupply is behind the rain sensor (i used the wires for the rearview mirror)

That seems to be a very highly rated dash cam and functions well. If you don't mind some questions;

- do you route it to a power source in the car or just use the in-built battery (1 hour power...)
- how do you get rid of the wire clutter"

Thanks!
Old 05-16-17, 11:59 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aw001
That seems to be a very highly rated dash cam and functions well. If you don't mind some questions;

- do you route it to a power source in the car or just use the in-built battery (1 hour power...)
- how do you get rid of the wire clutter"

Thanks!
As i said in my previous post, i power it from the 12 volt that goes to the rearview mirror (auto-dimmer). You need the brown (+) and blue (-) wires if i remember correctly. The wires are barely visible and very short.
Old 05-16-17, 12:15 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I have one similar to this one
Amazon Amazon

It's about the same quality video as the one posted in this thread. They're inexpensive and mount well. I have mine hardwired to the fuse box on the passenger side. The only issue I had was that the glue on the mount melted and the camera started to sag so I used Gorilla glue to attach the mount to the window.
Old 05-16-17, 04:47 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
As i said in my previous post, i power it from the 12 volt that goes to the rearview mirror (auto-dimmer). You need the brown (+) and blue (-) wires if i remember correctly. The wires are barely visible and very short.
Higgie, that is a nice looking install! I'm very competent electrically but lack the mechanical knowledge (and experience) of how to take the rear-view mirror apart to access the power wires. Do you have some advice on that? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-17, 08:21 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the VIOFO A119S - $99.00 - it's 1080p. Didn't need the GPS. I also go the polarizer to cut down on glare. Terrific pics during the day. Real easy to read license plates, even in the adjacent lane. OK at night. Harder to read plates at an angle. Seeems better than the Mivue 658, but it only faces forward. I mounted it behind the rear view mirror on the driver's side. easy to reach to take a still photo, mute the mic, or stop and start recording.
If you get a camera, get a Transcend brand micro SD card. They will work better and outlast some other brands when over writtem multiple times.
Good luck
Old 05-16-17, 10:44 PM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jimrd
Higgie, that is a nice looking install! I'm very competent electrically but lack the mechanical knowledge (and experience) of how to take the rear-view mirror apart to access the power wires. Do you have some advice on that? Thanks in advance!
There is no need to take the mirror apart, you only have to cut the wires.

First a warning, the wires that go to the mirror are very thin and fragile, be careful!
  1. Take off the clip that holds the wires in place.
  2. Untighten the screw that holds the mirror. (2 turns is enough) and push the mirror up.
  3. Use a small flat screwdriver to loosen the clip under the cover of the rain sensor.
  4. Pull the clip down about 1CM
You can now remove the cover for the rain sensor and all the wires are exposed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Higgie:
jimrd (05-17-17), sydlexius (07-11-18)
Old 05-17-17, 06:39 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimrd
You could also go with something like this
Amazon Amazon

That way you don't have to splice any wires, you just connect it to your fuse box.
jimrd (05-18-17)
Old 05-17-17, 07:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Where do you hide that box on the hard wire kit?
Old 05-17-17, 09:25 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by burny
Where do you hide that box on the hard wire kit?
I ran the wire across the headliner, down the A pillar and put everything in the opening to the right of the glove compartment. There's a cover you can detach when you open the door.
Old 05-17-17, 12:55 PM
aw001
Driver

Thanks darknight! I think i will go with your idea. Heading to best buy to handle some hardware before deciding on final camera itself.
Old 05-17-17, 01:07 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aw001
Thanks darknight! I think i will go with your idea. Heading to best buy to handle some hardware before deciding on final camera itself.
There are a couple more things you'll need. An add-a-fuse, you should be able to pick one up at an auto parts store like Advance or Autozone, and a fuse. You'll have to locate a fuse that's for something that doesn't stay on after you turn off the car, I can't remember which one I connected to.

Last edited by DarKnight; 05-19-17 at 09:39 AM.
aw001 (05-17-17)
Old 05-18-17, 08:27 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I used to run a GoPro Hero 3 Black, but moved on to this:

https://waylens.com/technology

The on-screen feedback is really slick, though I wish there were more data to monitor. They're working on it.

It's not perfect, but it's better at this than the GoPro was.

edit: I'll post some pics of my mounting and some video later today

edit 2: make that tomorrow, I'm exhausted

edit 3: I have these pics handy. The battery pack is great, as I can get 4+ days of my 35-45 minute commute, no problem. Plus, it's easier to turn on/off, and the Horizon follows what the external battery is doing, though you get a ten second grace period on shutdown.

That's just the mount for the Horizon on the windscreen. It's far from the best glass mount out there, but I'm likely going to mod (slightly) a Ram mount I used for the GoPro to work with the base of the Waylens Horizon's.
Attached Thumbnails Dash cam-20170302_170721.jpg   Dash cam-20170411_153259.jpg  

Last edited by mckellyb; 05-19-17 at 06:10 PM.
aw001 (05-19-17)

Quick Reply: Dash cam