LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

All waxed and ready for Summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 08:39 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default All waxed and ready for Summer

So happy with how she came out that I had to post these pics. Believe it or not...this first pic is a reflection off the paint.....

Old 05-25-17, 08:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Looks fabulous!

Did you actually use wax or a sealant?
Old 05-25-17, 08:52 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Love the wet look! How does one go about getting the finished result? My last detail bill has motivated me to get an orbital buffer and do it myself next time. What products or tools do you use, Chris? And what is your technique? I still consider my next attempt as my "first time" because I've only tried to wax my car three times in the last 20 years, all with terrible results. I have tried carnauba/pastes, liquid waxes, and spray on wax. Every time it either didn't shine or look much different or it looked all streaky/wavy/swirly. Please help me bring out the best in our 460. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. Do you also wax the headlights?

Last edited by FatherTo1; 05-25-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 09:43 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Awesome wax job.
Old 05-25-17, 10:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Looks great!
Old 05-26-17, 05:15 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks awesome Chris! I know from personal experience how difficult it is to maintain a black car. Nice work!
Old 05-26-17, 06:07 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Love the wet look! How does one go about getting the finished result? My last detail bill has motivated me to get an orbital buffer and do it myself next time. What products or tools do you use, Chris? And what is your technique? I still consider my next attempt as my "first time" because I've only tried to wax my car three times in the last 20 years, all with terrible results. I have tried carnauba/pastes, liquid waxes, and spray on wax. Every time it either didn't shine or look much different or it looked all streaky/wavy/swirly. Please help me bring out the best in our 460. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. Do you also wax the headlights?
I'll certainly let Chris tell you what he did, but I'll tell my experience. I went to the Automotive Care & Detailing forum here on CL. There is a wealth of info there. Zach (zmcgovern4) is extremely helpful. The real key is the preparation. I literally took almost two full days to prep the car. Putting on the final sealant only took a half hour, but if you don't prep the paint properly you are not going to get the desired results regardless of what wax or sealant you use.

I bought all the stuff I would need a couple years ago from Detailedimage.com. They are great to deal with and people like Zach also write articles for them. I got an orbital polisher and I was a little concerned that I would harm the paint, but these new obital ones are pretty safe to use as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. I bought the Rupes Duetto which is a good size one to use for just personal use.

Funny thing is I did my two cars plus my wife's car. I started with hers because I thought if I made any serious mistakes like burning the paint, at least it wouldn't be my car. My wife thought I was being so considerate by polishing her car first. Little did she know!
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (05-26-17)
Old 05-26-17, 07:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks all.

I used the Klasse two part system: Klasse All In One (AIO) and Klasse Sealant and Glaze (S&G). If you haven't tried these products, you should, Amazing results.

I used Meguiars Ultimate Compund for a couple of heavy spots (a coupole of minor scuffs and stains). The AIO will do the rest - spider webbing/swirls. No claybar this year as I did it last year, but I perhaps should have to get the best possible shine. But regardless, it came out as nice as when I did claybar the previous times.

Used my Porter Cable Orbital Polisher with a black/grey buffing pad to apply the AIO and then removed with a Microfiber cloth and a thick pile MF cloth to buff. Second step was the S&G with a gold finishing pa applied VERY LIGHTLY. You don't use much or it can be hard to remove. "Whisper thin" application is how they describe applying it. Then, removal is same as with the AIO. If you have heavy swirls or scratches, using the AIO with an orange light cutting pad will remove them. Or use the Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

Klasse claims this system will sheet water for up to 8 months, but I have found this to be the case for up to a year. You can also apply an occasional carnauba paste over top for touch-ups.

The shine depth and wet look is amazing. Swirl marks were completely removed - alas, not for long i know....."curse you, Obsidian!"

Klasse is only bested by Zaino Bros Show Car Polish according to a test by Guru Reports. When my Klasse is used up I might give Zaino a try.

Father Toi: for the headlights, I used a plastic polish. Go ahead and and buy a Random Orbital Polisher. Porter Cable makes one of the best, and there are others - some are just re-branded Porter Cables. IMHO you cant go wrong with any of them, so buy whatever is cheapest. With a RO polisher, you CANNOT burn through the paint. It's literally idiot-proof. I'm an idiot, so I can vouch for this. lol. In your case, I would certainly use a claybar - also idiot proof. The key to claybar is the lubricant - usually included with the claybar kit (Mothers is my favorite), but any spray detailer will suffice as a lubricant.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-26-17 at 07:48 AM.
FatherTo1 (05-26-17)
Old 05-26-17, 09:09 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Same car less shine. My friend is going to do mine soon, clay bar and everything. He's good.
Old 05-26-17, 09:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I see you did the "V8" emblems like mine too! You have VERY good taste....lol Did you put them on them front fenders as well?
Old 05-26-17, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If you like Klasse and Zaino you should try some of the more modern sealant products out there. Easier to use and even better results. I used to use both Klasse and Zaino, but there are better easier to use products out there now. Even spray on products believe it or not. Two I like, CarPro Hydro, and CarPro Reload.
Old 05-26-17, 09:22 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Pick one of these up before you go for clay, thank me later

Nospinzone (05-26-17)
Old 05-26-17, 09:27 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 05-26-17, 10:41 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Pick one of these up before you go for clay, thank me later

Just ordered one on Amazon for when I get back to FL. Hoping to get good results. How long do you think it'll last?
Old 05-26-17, 11:58 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'll certainly let Chris tell you what he did, but I'll tell my experience. I went to the Automotive Care & Detailing forum here on CL. There is a wealth of info there. Zach (zmcgovern4) is extremely helpful. The real key is the preparation. I literally took almost two full days to prep the car. Putting on the final sealant only took a half hour, but if you don't prep the paint properly you are not going to get the desired results regardless of what wax or sealant you use.

I bought all the stuff I would need a couple years ago from Detailedimage.com. They are great to deal with and people like Zach also write articles for them. I got an orbital polisher and I was a little concerned that I would harm the paint, but these new obital ones are pretty safe to use as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. I bought the Rupes Duetto which is a good size one to use for just personal use.

Funny thing is I did my two cars plus my wife's car. I started with hers because I thought if I made any serious mistakes like burning the paint, at least it wouldn't be my car. My wife thought I was being so considerate by polishing her car first. Little did she know!
Originally Posted by roadfrog
Thanks all.

I used the Klasse two part system: Klasse All In One (AIO) and Klasse Sealant and Glaze (S&G). If you haven't tried these products, you should, Amazing results.

I used Meguiars Ultimate Compund for a couple of heavy spots (a coupole of minor scuffs and stains). The AIO will do the rest - spider webbing/swirls. No claybar this year as I did it last year, but I perhaps should have to get the best possible shine. But regardless, it came out as nice as when I did claybar the previous times.

Used my Porter Cable Orbital Polisher with a black/grey buffing pad to apply the AIO and then removed with a Microfiber cloth and a thick pile MF cloth to buff. Second step was the S&G with a gold finishing pa applied VERY LIGHTLY. You don't use much or it can be hard to remove. "Whisper thin" application is how they describe applying it. Then, removal is same as with the AIO. If you have heavy swirls or scratches, using the AIO with an orange light cutting pad will remove them. Or use the Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

Klasse claims this system will sheet water for up to 8 months, but I have found this to be the case for up to a year. You can also apply an occasional carnauba paste over top for touch-ups.

The shine depth and wet look is amazing. Swirl marks were completely removed - alas, not for long i know....."curse you, Obsidian!"

Klasse is only bested by Zaino Bros Show Car Polish according to a test by Guru Reports. When my Klasse is used up I might give Zaino a try.

Father Toi: for the headlights, I used a plastic polish. Go ahead and and buy a Random Orbital Polisher. Porter Cable makes one of the best, and there are others - some are just re-branded Porter Cables. IMHO you cant go wrong with any of them, so buy whatever is cheapest. With a RO polisher, you CANNOT burn through the paint. It's literally idiot-proof. I'm an idiot, so I can vouch for this. lol. In your case, I would certainly use a claybar - also idiot proof. The key to claybar is the lubricant - usually included with the claybar kit (Mothers is my favorite), but any spray detailer will suffice as a lubricant.
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Nospin, and for the detailed instructions, roadfrog. I will definitely invest in a random orbital polisher, as well as invest more time in the detailing forum. A little nervous and may practice on my wife's car first.

I had Nano Ceramic Synthetic Sealant applied to my car a month ago. It is supposed to offer 1-year of protection but I'm already noticing that it is wearing thin after a few car washes. Still smooth, but not as smooth as day one.

Quick Reply: All waxed and ready for Summer