LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus is Replacing the Dashboard and Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by GHARP57
Here is all of my damage, Lexus changed the design of the B pillar trim so it doesn't point out like that and not get worn. You can see how shiny the door panel is and my dash pad appears fine. I called Lexus and they said my VIN didn't fit the campaign but I still need to take it to my Dealer so they can inspect it. And if I am unsatisfied with the results then I can call Lexus and get a case manager potentially.
These panels are leather, this is not the "melting dash" issue, this is simply normal leather wear for a car of this age.
Old 04-26-17, 02:53 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the op, so this is still covered under enhanced warranty ? How did u get them to replace it since any tsb would have been expired by now
Old 04-26-17, 04:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If Lexus won't cover the leather and panel fading, you might want to look into leatherique dyes.
Old 04-26-17, 05:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by aw001

Speaking about low quality material, you guys should see my car seat debacle. When i got it, the grey leather has small patches of brown. It is basically wear down to the base leather. Now the dealer can't do anything because it IS wear and tear and to replace that piece of leather, its ~1000, since they have to replace the whole bolster. I didn't blame the dealer since its understandable and they replace my b pillar already. I blame lexus for using inferior material, but maybe i'm not being realistic.
I don't think you're being unreasonable. The car is still covered by the 4/50 warranty? Then this should be covered as a defect in workmanship or materials. The seat leather of a $80,000 car shouldn't wear out after 3 years!
Old 04-27-17, 05:50 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, its still covered by 4/50 warranty since its a 2014 and 19k miles when i got it. Anyway, i finally get it fixed by someone local. Costs me $200.

For me, its win some, lose some (dealer wise) Not worth my time/ aggravation since its cosmetic issue and not a safety issue. Dealer= business, and no one ever complains they got too much money!

Anyway, not to hijack the tread, but if anyone want to see the pics so that everyone know what a "wear" looks like, and not just "dirty/ soiled" i can post pics, because if you try to clean up "wear", IT WILL GET WORSE!

alex.
Old 04-27-17, 05:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'd like to see those pics.
Old 04-27-17, 07:59 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
These panels are leather, this is not the "melting dash" issue, this is simply normal leather wear for a car of this age.
I should have lead with my door panel is becoming sticky in that really shiny part. I figured this issue was for the non leather door panels. Once I take my car to Lexus I will know for sure. I know all about the melting dash issue, we have replaced a couple hundred here at my dealer, its that ****ty plastic material they used and it just melts. Such a bad material. It is nice to see Toyota/Lexus taking are of their vehicles years after warranties have expired though
Old 04-27-17, 11:42 AM
aw001
Driver

here is the initial presentation Initial presentation
After cleaning attempts by detailer
Final product after repair
Old 04-27-17, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that's terrible...I have the same color and the same leather (the base leather) and mine has 33k miles and the seats look like your after picture.

Hard to say what the previous owner did to it.
Old 04-27-17, 12:05 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Nice job fixing it. Did they replace the leather or just re-paint it? I still think the dealer should have replaced it.
Old 04-27-17, 12:19 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

So I just got word from the service advisor that Lexus will not replace the panels on my car, not even as a goodwill replacement. I'm disappointed that they won't even replace at least the front door panels which are the ones in the worst condition.
Old 04-27-17, 12:23 PM
aw001
Driver

Its "wear and tear" because car seats nowadays apparently needed extra bolsters so that everyone can feel like they are driving a "sports car" That spot is affected since we all need to swing out our left leg out, to exit and in the process, rubs our posterior thigh over it. Designs for design sake, but my feeling is; USE BETTER PARTS!!

Anyway, the repair guy repaint, sand and reapply coating. He actually smoothen out some creases got rid of small cuts on the side of the back panel too. Dirt = silica = sharp tiny knives on leather according to him.

I think the $200 for me not to look at that ghastly sight every morning is moneywell spent. So, if you guys see that, do not try to CLEAN it out!
Old 04-27-17, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think that's a fluke, like I said I have the same seats and more mileage and my seats don't look like that at all
Old 04-27-17, 12:48 PM
aw001
Driver

Sounds logical. Agreed.
Old 05-04-17, 07:27 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Just called Lexus Corporate today as for some reason while they are replacing the dashpad and all four door panels, the dealer did not get the glove box approved when it is honestly the most noticeable of all.

It still blows my mind just how sticky the armrest on the door gets when the sun is shining directly on it. How this was not noticed when Lexus did all of their durability/torture testing, I will never know. While I know they are not going to subject the LS's to the absurd lengths of strain like they do on Land Cruisers, we are still talking about similarly priced cars that both represent the pinnacle of the brand/brands.

All of this is making me consider getting Huper Optik nano ceramic tint like I had on my Infiniti M45 when I lived in Florida, but tinted windows here in East Tennessee are not remotely as ubiquitous as they are in the Sunshine State. Moreover, it does engender a certain amount of profiling by LEO's. However, they do make ones that are not dark at all, but have never experienced them, Huper Optik was a revelation when I had it done. The difference in temperature was staggering in the Summertime.

Quick Reply: Lexus is Replacing the Dashboard and Door Panels