LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 08:34 AM
Andy17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS issues

Hello all,

I have an 2007 LS460, and I just changed the tire set from winter to summer. I got this done at Costco, and they supposedly relearned the TPMS, but after ~15 miles of driving the light comes on. This has happened twice now each season. Taking to the lexus dealer to relearn them costs 5x as much as changing the tires themselves. Is there any other nation chains like discount tire that you guys have successfully gotten your tires relearned at for <150 dollars?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-17, 08:49 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy17
Hello all,

I have an 2007 LS460, and I just changed the tire set from winter to summer. I got this done at Costco, and they supposedly relearned the TPMS, but after ~15 miles of driving the light comes on. This has happened twice now each season. Taking to the lexus dealer to relearn them costs 5x as much as changing the tires themselves. Is there any other nation chains like discount tire that you guys have successfully gotten your tires relearned at for <150 dollars?

Thanks!
The guys on here can get you up and running shortly. Do a search here for TPMS and read the scoop. All the guys know the deal about this issue. No worries. You're in good hands. AND, much better than the Big Money you're talking about. Welcome To The Club Sir !!!
Old 04-14-17, 09:26 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy17
Hello all,

Thanks!
The active TPMS was mandated, by NHTSA, on all new cars sold in the US beginning in 2008. So, anyone selling tires will very likely have the electronic tools to set your car's TPMS - Costco, DiscountTire, Sam's Club, Walmart, etc. Many of these tire dealers will help you complimentary or a very nominal fee - much less than a Lexus dealer. A Toyota dealer or any car dealer will also be able to help you. Costco should be able to resolve this, but I know from experience they don't take appointments and wait times can be very long.

You are probably getting a TPMS system failure warning due to one or more non reporting sensors (theses cars have 5 sensors). Most of these type warnings occur exactly 20 minutes after you start the car and are reset when you turn the ignition off. Non-reporting sensors are usually caused by, missing spares, broken sensors and unregistered sensors. RFI is another cause but rare. Seems to me yours is likely due to one or more unregistered sensors.

Your car has a pressure sensor display in the dash. Non-reporting sensors would be indicated by "checking" remaining, after a couple of minutes, instead of a pressure reading in the display.
Old 04-16-17, 10:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Maybe its just my car but I don't get the warning light unless the pressure of one or more tires is outside of the programmed acceptable range

for example when I first bought my car it was showing a "tpms light - take it to dealer warning " until I put more pressure into the tires (40psi) , then it was fine

Then I swapped my 22's on and put too much pressure in the tires and it came back on again

For a few days I was driving with no tpms sensors installed and there was no light or warning .......
Old 04-17-17, 09:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Maybe its just my car but I don't get the warning light unless the pressure of one or more tires is outside of the programmed acceptable range

for example when I first bought my car it was showing a "tpms light - take it to dealer warning " until I put more pressure into the tires (40psi) , then it was fine

Then I swapped my 22's on and put too much pressure in the tires and it came back on again

For a few days I was driving with no tpms sensors installed and there was no light or warning .......
The TPMS will also emit if a sensor battery is weak. Mine would go off sporadically and pressures were fine, but the system would throw a fit on occasion. My local shop had trouble getting a read from one of my tires, replaced that sensor and all was normal afterwards. Unfortunately, the 3 year warranty had just expired on the aftermarket sensors, so I had to pay 110 dollars to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (12-12-22)