TPMS Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 03:13 PM
TheDanimal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Problem?

Hi all,

New to the forums, have had my IS for a little over a year.

I'm having a slight issue with the TPMS coming on ever since I got new tires. I purchased 4 new tires. Drove home, nothing was going on. Parked the car for about 2 hours, then left again, as soon as I started to roll, the TPMS "Low Tire" warning came on. The tires are all fine. Had my wife take the car back to Americas tire the next day, and she said they were having problems finding the reset button, and they used some sort of device to "fix" it.

Ever since the thing comes on, and turns off randomly. Anyone know how to reset the TPMS so it wont do that anymore? Should I take it by the Lexus dealer?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys..

Daniel
Old 02-05-09, 03:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

What cold inflation pressure do you have in your tires? The factory spec is 35 front/37 rear; those are the TPMS pressures set in your car at delivery, the low tire light illuminates when the pressure drops about 4-5 pounds below that. You probably have one or more tires that are a bit low, light comes on when the tire is cold, and turns off when the tire warms up.

Although you can reset the TPMS to a different pressure (instructions are in the owners manual and require no special equipment), I'd suggest first using a tire gauge to make sure your tires have the right amount of air in them.
Old 02-05-09, 03:47 PM
TheDanimal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bichon.

I thought that could be it, I did check pressures, and had the shop double check my work and they are good. Plus the TPMS, although it does go on and off, it has stayed on at times for a whole day at a time, with quite a bit of driving. So I don't think a pressure variation is causing it...

I haven't had time to look through the manual, I just got back into town. I will take a look tonight and see if I can locate some instructions in there.

Thank you for the response.

Daniel
Old 02-10-09, 12:41 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

this has been happening to me the last couple of days here in LA. it's been pretty cold (high 40s/low 50s), but it never did this before during the winters of 08, 07, and 06... i haven't yet checked the pressures because all the gas stations in my area charge for air which i think is rediculous. is this common in other areas that it gets cold?
Old 02-10-09, 03:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fleainat
this has been happening to me the last couple of days here in LA. it's been pretty cold (high 40s/low 50s), but it never did this before during the winters of 08, 07, and 06... i haven't yet checked the pressures because all the gas stations in my area charge for air which i think is rediculous. is this common in other areas that it gets cold?
Yes, gas stations have those junky pumps here too and some charge, but the real issue is the nuisance factor and the poor maintenance of these pumps at gas stations.

I bought a compressor at Orchard Supply for well under $100 a couple of years ago and it works great. Now I can check my tire pressure and make adjustments in my garage.
Old 04-15-09, 11:57 AM
vanson350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS problem too

I bought some used sensor on eBay and had them installed on my Volks with the brackets that I got from Iforged. I drove for about 3-4 days and the sensors never came on. The first time they came on, I thought I had a low tire so I went to air them up. Therefore, I put some air in them, well after checking the pressure I noticed they had too much air so I let some out and the light went off. Therefore, the tire was not low to begin with. I thought maybe I had a leak via one of the stems but the tires are holding air fine. The sensor came on again and I have no clue why. The pressure is fine. I thought that maybe the sensor was damaged by hitting a large bump or it had come loose from one of the brackets. Not the case, it comes one and then goes off hours or day(s) later. It came on again this morning when I was driving to work and I did not hit any large bumps or holes so I ruled that out too.

Has anyone had a bad sensor before? I never had this issue with the OEM tires and rims. Those sensors are still in the original tire wheel combo. Maybe I should change them out with the ones on my Lexus OEM rims.
Old 04-15-09, 12:59 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope they replaced your gasket o-ring set when they installed your new tires. I have been advised this is common practice and the kits are below $20 for all 4 wheels. I also heard (not with factory donut spare) that vehicles with a full size spare and TPMS can activate the light an create problems.