LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Instrument Cluster Dashboard Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 05:40 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY Instrument Cluster Dashboard Removal

Alright... so... didn't see a DIY... needed it... took my time and forever... but realistically... could be done in 10 minutes.... so here ya go.

To just start off... I took these pictures while putting things back together....hopefully you all will still find it helpful.

There are some missing pics but hopefully I'll be able to walk you through it without pictures

You'll need a Phillips screwdriver and a 8mm socket preferably an extension instead of just a wrench.

1. Turn on the car and tilt your steering wheel furthest away from the cluster... so back and down.
2. For convenience drop your seat all the way back as well
3. Head to the trunk and I personally took off the negative battery wire terminal shutting down the car locking the steering column where it sits.
(If you have the carista app I believe you could just set it so that the auto tilt steering wheel will not move once you turn off the car which will allow you to not remove the battery wire)

4.Remove the side panel with the air socket hole by pulling outward
5. Remove the wood corner trim adjacent to it
Name:  06E1948D-C5E1-4650-9456-A1FF6138B3D1_zps4cpjiyvt.jpg
Views: 7332
Size:  96.7 KB
6. Remove the center console panel (start from the front of the panel to the rear)
Name:  CFC8D529-1FD7-442E-8140-C59865412351_zps8fhn8d7y.jpg
Views: 6289
Size:  120.4 KB
7. Unscrew 2 black screws below the steering wheel under your knee airbags
Name:  4D9F7622-DE4F-4170-A12E-F3FCB0C02D8C_zpspzhpbbib.jpg
Views: 6273
Size:  134.8 KB
Name:  B2B8AAEE-7A04-4D2F-98CA-CE8A3FE8186C_zpsbxsm1lk9.jpg
Views: 6236
Size:  93.0 KB
8. Pop out the plastic piece under the E-brake and unscrew the bolt
Name:  70068645-4BF5-4D99-8233-0464D69876B8_zps68scznho.jpg
Views: 6385
Size:  125.9 KB
9.Behind the Wood trim is a screw that you'll need to remove
Name:  28B8B29F-F6CE-4B7A-B0DA-CF673D9C2E74_zpsnywofw2h.jpg
Views: 6384
Size:  77.9 KB
10. I don't have pictured but the knee air bags... there are 2 silver bolts holding this together... one on the left and one on the right. The one on the left theres actually two silver bolts, top and bottom... you'll only need to remove the bottom bolt on the left side.

11.Once you have these bolts removed... everything else is clips... pull directly out starting with the plastic trim below your knee airbags (holding your OBDII connectors) then your knee airbags, then the middle trim holding your E parking brake/ AFS buttons etc. I DID NOT DISCONNECT ANY WIRES AT THIS POINT.... OBDII connectors, knee AIRBAGS, E BRAKE, HOOD HATCH ALL STILL ATTACHED
Name:  2FC1C43D-C407-41E1-8EF8-C94DAE0163E3_zpsj5psqnwk.jpg
Views: 6378
Size:  123.6 KB
12. I removed the side airvent but thinking back now... I'm not sure if that was totally necessary. it gave me the ability to look inside to try and figure out how to remove stuff but there is a wire attached to it... if you do remove it just keep that in mind.
Name:  0061CB06-6487-4CB3-8722-3789801BF44D_zpsz9ijqi5v.jpg
Views: 6332
Size:  93.6 KB
13. The plastic frame around the cluster has 2 black screws on top you'll need to remove those. you should be able to pull directly out... and then detach the two wires one on the left and ride side which is like your trip reset buttons and cluster dimmer. I had to remove the wires first and I left the screws for last because they were giving me a hard time.
Name:  900B9F81-1E69-44F1-A27C-A9D9DC9441FA_zpsi2qzxdyw.jpg
Views: 6344
Size:  105.9 KB
Name:  F79A49D7-EF97-4174-95D0-DACD3E33442B_zpshw1bvkiw.jpg
Views: 6240
Size:  69.6 KB
14. When pulling the frame out on the bottom of the frame theres actually a leather flap that attaches to the steering column... it pops off easily but I took a picture to show you what to expect
Name:  3F96DCAA-BB33-4A94-A382-122AA87D0653_zpslgudwerp.jpg
Views: 6312
Size:  63.5 KB
Name:  3AE3D268-CD48-4041-B667-CDD1F9B69847_zpszqq5wuyz.jpg
Views: 6332
Size:  95.8 KB
15. Remove the 4 black screws one on each corner holding the cluster
Name:  A904B865-0854-47FD-901C-05A0D7B53B04_zpstnbrrqjv.jpg
Views: 6195
Size:  80.3 KB
16. Pull cluster out, its a tight fit obviously and I would recommend trying to slide it to the left. There is a wire connected on the back... with a flap helping it stay in place... pull flap down and work on removing that plug
Name:  7F42F4BB-8D9C-4139-9652-698AEE603EF1_zps7udxwyjs.jpg
Views: 6196
Size:  115.4 KB
Life's good
Name:  21F87B94-EE79-4FC9-8F52-1EE684914645_zpsysmyp5o4.jpg
Views: 6979
Size:  132.4 KB

Put everything back together and don't let any screw or tab left unused.

Any questions feel free to reach out
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (03-06-17)
Old 08-05-16, 05:47 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice instructions and illustrations. Now for the questions...why did you do it, did you swap clusters, if so did the new one require programming?
Old 08-05-16, 06:34 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by superdenso
Very nice instructions and illustrations. Now for the questions...why did you do it, did you swap clusters, if so did the new one require programming?
LoL... I'm gonna get burnt on this question... i didn't change clusters or anything... I took the cluster a part to put black tape over the engine light. What an a hole? You might say? Yeah.... That is some cheap a$$hole sh-it.

P1084 engine code which I believe boils down to o2 sensors of sorts. Took to a lot of my standalone car shops and they all didn't want to touch my car because it's a hybrid... they said going to Lexus is going to cost a pretty penny just so that you can take the engine light off. for a 8 year old car I figured I'll just wait until something happens that forces me to take it to the dealership.. Not the best approach either but that was the decision and In the meantime I wanted a quick fix because there's something about having an engine light on that irritates me... And it evidently irritated me enough to take the whole thing a part. The car rides perfectly, no hard idles nothing.... And I know we have warning lights for a reason and I should suck it up and take it in to the dealer... Probably will eventually just trade it in for a newer model... I hate using the auxiliary cable to play music from my iPhone...

but that's the reason.... Wish I could help you answer your reprogramming cluster question but I dunno

Last edited by Batmobile; 08-05-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 07:02 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice write-up. Couldn't you just clear the CEL with an OBD2 scan tool?
Old 08-05-16, 07:05 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Nice write-up. Couldn't you just clear the CEL with an OBD2 scan tool?
i could if I had one which I'll need to get my hands on a carista as I believe that was one of the features... But I'd have to do it every time... And I guess this one and done was a bit more appealing
Old 08-05-16, 07:14 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Carista is definitely worth it. You should at least get the app then message Carista on here to give you the back door to get the lifetime subscription for $20 instead of having to pay the yearly subscription. You can get the adapter after.
Old 08-05-16, 07:22 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Carista is definitely worth it. You should at least get the app then message Carista on here to give you the back door to get the lifetime subscription for $20 instead of having to pay the yearly subscription. You can get the adapter after.
yeah... Read a lot of good things about it on here... Will do...Thanks man...
Old 08-06-16, 07:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Did you already try to clear the codes to see if they'd return? Sometimes a code is set, but then won't return after resetting it. The other thing to consider now is if you get another unrelated SES code. If you do, you won't realize it until it's potentially too late and do more damage.

I'll add a +1 to the Carista App. I was the Beta tester for it here at CL, and can vouch for the extraordinary value it gives.
Old 08-06-16, 07:53 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats a lot of work to cover up a check engine light. Seems like something a guy would do on a 94 Civic, not an LS460...........
Old 08-06-16, 09:08 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Did you already try to clear the codes to see if they'd return? Sometimes a code is set, but then won't return after resetting it. The other thing to consider now is if you get another unrelated SES code. If you do, you won't realize it until it's potentially too late and do more damage.

I'll add a +1 to the Carista App. I was the Beta tester for it here at CL, and can vouch for the extraordinary value it gives.
yeah I tried resetting multiple times... And I understand that's the risk involved by doing what I did.. I'll keep a close eye on it appreciate the feed back.

Originally Posted by teedub21
Thats a lot of work to cover up a check engine light. Seems like something a guy would do on a 94 Civic, not an LS460...........
Old 08-06-16, 11:53 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

That's pretty awesome that you were able to remove the dash, I've got to admit I laughed at why you did it. I guess my question is...if you're talented enough to pull the dash apart, I'd think you could replace an O2 sensor...or all of them. I didn't think the car being a hybrid would change anything regarding an O2 sensor? I could be wrong. If the car is driving fine...no misfires, loss of fuel economy, limp mode, etc...I imagine that it's your post catalytic converter O2 sensor. All it does is monitor the efficiency of the cat, it doesn't do anything to the fuel trim. I'd find out which sensor needs replacing and just change it.

One misconception is that O2 sensors start to "wear out" become "lazy". I took a class from Bosch and they said that's 100% false when dealing with the modern O2 sensors (A/F ratio sensors). They don't wear out, they just fail.
Old 08-06-16, 07:20 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

yeah I tried resetting multiple times... And I understand that's the risk involved by doing what I did.. I'll keep a close eye on it appreciate the feed back
In other words, "That's how I roll". LOL.
Old 08-06-16, 07:52 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile
Alright... so... didn't see a DIY... needed it... took my time and forever... but realistically... could be done in 10 minutes.... so here ya go. Life's good

Put everything back together and don't let any screw or tab left unused. Any questions feel free to reach out
Originally Posted by Batmobile
I took the cluster a part to put black tape over the engine light.
You left out the most difficult instruction in this DIY. How did you cut and apply the tape over the CEL?? I am lost without a pic

You are a warrior. Good luck bud!!
Old 08-07-16, 06:16 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The electrical tape goes on the outside of the instrument cluster. 10 second job.
Old 08-07-16, 04:48 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
That's pretty awesome that you were able to remove the dash, I've got to admit I laughed at why you did it. I guess my question is...if you're talented enough to pull the dash apart, I'd think you could replace an O2 sensor...or all of them. I didn't think the car being a hybrid would change anything regarding an O2 sensor? I could be wrong. If the car is driving fine...no misfires, loss of fuel economy, limp mode, etc...I imagine that it's your post catalytic converter O2 sensor. All it does is monitor the efficiency of the cat, it doesn't do anything to the fuel trim. I'd find out which sensor needs replacing and just change it.

One misconception is that O2 sensors start to "wear out" become "lazy". I took a class from Bosch and they said that's 100% false when dealing with the modern O2 sensors (A/F ratio sensors). They don't wear out, they just fail.
Yeah... i could replace an o2... the issue is time/tools and location. Normally O2's to do it the "right" way you would need to remove your seat and get in under your carpet and i'd rather not... With two kids one being 3 and the other just turning one... I try to spend the majority of my leisure time with them. I don't have the tools... and i could buy the equipment i guess.. but with multiple o2's i'd be splicing or volt testing to see which ones the issue. Sounds like a suck a$$ time if you ask me. I don't really have or live in a place that i could just take my car a part... without looking out of place... i mean within the car is one thing i guess... once parts start hitting the pavement its kinda a different story... but i'm sure these aren't real excuses to most.

Originally Posted by comotiger
You left out the most difficult instruction in this DIY. How did you cut and apply the tape over the CEL?? I am lost without a pic

You are a warrior. Good luck bud!!
I didn't take any pics at that point... I was just trying to be a nice guy and contribute to the community about the cluster removal without trying to get into the CEL light conversation. But to answer your question. Once again i think i went overkill and removed all the screws on the back holding the white plastic piece to the cluster. But thinking back if you simply remove the two top bigger screws you see pictured... also two screws on the face of the cluster on each corner... if you remove those four, pop the visible obvious clips in front you'll be able to get into the inside of the cluster.

Grab some black electrical tape..... not that it matters but if you wanted to know the cluster screen is already tinted a very dark black.... the inside of the cluster is a matt black... so instead of going out buying a shiny electrical tape... you should buy the matt black ones to match...

regardless though... you wont be able to tell anything is there once its on...

Hope this helps if you're going to do it yourself

Name:  7F42F4BB-8D9C-4139-9652-698AEE603EF1_zps7udxwyjs.jpg
Views: 5907
Size:  115.4 KB

Last edited by Batmobile; 08-07-16 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Instrument Cluster Dashboard Removal