LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help! Weird headlight problem after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 07:40 AM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Weird headlight problem after heavy rain

Hello everyone.

I own 2007 LS460L and a while back, like one month ago, we had a heavy rain in the area where I live and I, foolishly, didn't cover my car during that time. From that time I started experiencing some weird headlight issue.

The headlight would turn on by itself. The low beam headlight. And it would happen randomly in any time. Sometimes it "flashes" and sometimes it stays on until the battery drains and there's no power in the car.

I did a computer check one week ago and I reset the system. It was fine for a while but now it has returned unfortunately.

The rain must have damaged some of the electronics in the car.

Has anyone experienced similar issue? Would like to hear any suggestions to fix this problem

Thanks
Old 04-10-16, 11:21 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for water in the connectors
Old 04-10-16, 11:49 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Your concern about water may be a "red herring."

Do you experience this odd headlight behavior when the headlight control switch on the light control stem on the steering column is set to OFF?
Old 04-10-16, 12:18 PM
ShamanLS
Rookie

When the issue randomly occur, the headlight switch is completely useless!

It doesn't matter if it's ON, OFF or Auto. The Low Beam stays ON until it returns to its normal operation

So basically, the headlight switch regains control after some random time.

It seems that whatever the switch is connected to, whether it's a controller or a relay ( I don't know what it is exactly), the problem is happening in that part. Or maybe even after it
Old 04-10-16, 12:53 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShamanLS
When the issue randomly occur, the headlight switch is completely useless!

It doesn't matter if it's ON, OFF or Auto. The Low Beam stays ON until it returns to its normal operation

So basically, the headlight switch regains control after some random time.

It seems that whatever the switch is connected to, whether it's a controller or a relay ( I don't know what it is exactly), the problem is happening in that part. Or maybe even after it
Just to be clear, the low beams periodicall turn on by themselves, regardless of whether the headlight control is in "auto" or completely off, correct? Does this occur whether the ignition is on or off?

Have you had your battery checked to see if it functioning within specifications?
Old 04-10-16, 02:09 PM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Yes the issue happens whether the ignition is on or off. It doesn't matter.

I have checked the battery and it's functioning properly. The battery is only couple of months old so it should not be the problem.

I will get the car to an electrician later this week so he can investigated thoroughly. I already visited him once and he checked the fuse boxes ( two only. I think there're a total of three fuse boxes right?) and he didn't find any issue.
Old 04-10-16, 05:01 PM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is water shorting the relay, closing the circuit. I don't know exactly where this is but this should be the first thing you check. Since it took a heavy rain to get the symptoms, the water may not have dried out completely since it is sheltered and the movement of the vehicle may move the remainder of what's left to cause the short again until the water settles back down causing this erratic behavior.

Last edited by tlk2megoos; 04-10-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 12:27 AM
ShamanLS
Rookie

But where is it located exactly? Would be helpful if someone can point out a specific part to look into

Anyhow, I'll be going to the mechanic this Thursday. Until then I need to baby sit the LS and make sure its lights don't turn on and drain the battery :P