LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Adding Horsepower and Torque???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 05:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
This will have to go on top of the supercharger spend for me then

Support our CL Vendors!
You are in luck.... They are doing tuning with a new supercharger next
Old 02-11-16, 05:43 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
MB have been making high performance sedans for decades, like the 70's 6.9 S-class, long before Lexus was thought of. The S65 costs three times as much as the LS, plus the S65 excels. Two completely different types of automobiles with different intentions. Initially Lexus was all about luxury and MB was all about performance, racing, innovations, luxury and safety. It would be nice for Lexus to develop a true LS sports performance sedan because the F-sport offers very little. Currently I personally don't believe there is a market for a LS type AMG sport automobile. Just my 2 cents.
I was actually referring to the S63 not S65, my apologies. But the LS600h's MSRP depending on packages gets withing 20k of an S63. So not too big of a price disparity. Obviously an LS F would cost in that neighborhood also. Either way, if you were going to do a Stage 2-3 tune you'd have all the performance parts to make sure that the LS would handle that much power.

What I was getting at is to remain competitive in this market Lexus will need to release an LS F. Audi has the S8 and S8 Plus, obviously Mercedes has the S63 and S65, while BMW has the M760i xDrive (not to mention the B7 Alpina also). Naturally Lexus will need an LS F.
Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread too much.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
As I posted above, two of our CL vendors are now selling Lexus tunes with the recently cracked ECU and making real power improvements. Quote from RRACING as an example for the isf

Note this is Wheel horsepower, not at the crank.

If it were my LS, I'd hold off on any intake or supercharger spend until they get around to tuning the LS. This sells for $650-$750.
Yes, you mentioned that but they haven't yet gotten to tuning the LS yet so no tune exists for our cars.

I'm intrigued with the IS-F results though! Hopefully they get around to tuning the LS because I'm one of the people that will be more than happy to shell out that much money.
Old 02-11-16, 06:45 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Why not? I think one of the things people really miss out on with the LS is an S65 competitor. Mercedes took a big heavy S550 and added an even bigger engine that makes massive amounts of HP and the thing sells. There's nothing wrong with wanting an LS that can pulverize the rear tires or do a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds.
There's a member here installed an electronic control on his exhaust for example. He's able to go from nice and quiet LS to angry LS with the push of a button; best of both worlds. The LS isn't going to lose any of its characteristics with more power per se, it'll just gain the ability to become a monster at a moments notice.

Anyway OP, as you can tell, the only way to make the LS faster (whether it be for 0-60+ sprints or top speed) is to throw massive amounts of money at it (case in point HKS's Supercharger). Unlike other cars, where you can walk into a shop and get a Stage 1 tune (typically just an ECU flash) for a few hundred bucks, we don't have an ECU tune to give more power and we don't have easy bolt on options to increase power output. I'm sure you can get a performance company to help you get the most power out of your LS if you're looking to do such a thing though and many LS owners would sure thank you for helping in the development of a tune and such. Good luck though!
Again we're just taking guesses at what the OP wants anyway. What is faster? Tuning the top end? The bottom end? I asked why you'd want to "hot rod" an LS because I can't see me taking mine to SCCA this Saturday simply by adding a 20k supercharger. Gotta tighten up the corners a bit I'd guess. So we can just throw out random ideas as to what would make sense and keep guessing. I know that with each of my motorcycles I have them tuned to what I need and want out of the bike. I just don't roll up to my shop and say "hey uh make it faster dude"....
Old 02-11-16, 06:47 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Okay serious question here, why would anyone want to hear the "growl"? I mean the LS was designed and engineered to eliminate the outside noise. Going so far as to even laminate the glass to reduce sound transmission. I would think if one wanted more power and sound you could build an IS or GS or even and RC and do it much cheaper. I just paid nearly $65k for my LS and a brand spanking new GS could've been had for much less. I know we all like to personalize our cars etc but the question is why start off with the LS platform in the first place?
Why would someone add bigger wheels, low profile tires, body kit, suspension, etc...? To each their own. I had always loved the LS and was amazed at how quiet it was at first. I had a weekend turbo car that I sold after getting the LS. It slowly grew boring to me and I missed hearing some kind of noise. Added a JoeZ exhaust which helped. The car is quiet at cruise, but sounds mean when gassing it. I have been modifying cars for years. It is in my blood. With the 2007-2009 models dropping in price, we will see a younger generation buying these cars and possibly more aftermarket support if the demand is there.

Congrats on the supercharger brianlin! You are paving the way.
Old 02-11-16, 06:57 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PMIRO2
Why would someone add bigger wheels, low profile tires, body kit, suspension, etc...? To each their own. I had always loved the LS and was amazed at how quiet it was at first. I had a weekend turbo car that I sold after getting the LS. It slowly grew boring to me and I missed hearing some kind of noise. Added a JoeZ exhaust which helped. The car is quiet at cruise, but sounds mean when gassing it. I have been modifying cars for years. It is in my blood. With the 2007-2009 models dropping in price, we will see a younger generation buying these cars and possibly more aftermarket support if the demand is there.

Congrats on the supercharger brianlin! You are paving the way.
Exactly, to each their own. It's good to hear your perspective for wanting a bit more of an exhaust note. I think Lexus even tried to accomplish this by "pumping" in sound on the F-Sports.
Old 02-11-16, 08:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Exactly, to each their own. It's good to hear your perspective for wanting a bit more of an exhaust note. I think Lexus even tried to accomplish this by "pumping" in sound on the F-Sports
Yep....this is the part and the DIY he posted:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0-minutes.html

I thought about doing this.

I actually "get" wanting to add power, sound, exhaust note, etc

Yes the LS was designed to be serene, quiet, and subdued, but man's quest to mod their cars started LOOOONG ago. Everything from swapping out a Chevy Vega's engine for a 350 V8, or a Mazda Miata's 4 banger for a Ford 5.0 V8 (Monster Miata), etc. It's in many a man's DNA.
Old 02-11-16, 08:47 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yep....this is the part and the DIY he posted:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0-minutes.html

I thought about doing this.

I actually "get" wanting to add power, sound, exhaust note, etc

Yes the LS was designed to be serene, quiet, and subdued, but man's quest to mod their cars started LOOOONG ago. Everything from swapping out a Chevy Vega's engine for a 350 V8, or a Mazda Miata's 4 banger for a Ford 5.0 V8 (Monster Miata), etc. It's in many a man's DNA.
Hahaha one of the mods I'd like to do is remove that. Me likey the peace and quiet. I have other toys that go growl, whirr and bang...
Old 02-11-16, 09:08 PM
BEASTIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianlin87

I'll let you know how the install goes.
Definitely keep me posted!
Old 02-11-16, 09:24 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Didn't realize these were only for 2007-2009. At $20k not including installation it's more than the car costs. That's some serious commitment.

Looks like BEASTIN got his wish. Here's the ultimate power accessory!
Old 02-11-16, 09:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

When done it should look something like this:

Old 02-11-16, 09:27 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
When done it should look something like this:

Like that CF!
Old 02-11-16, 09:38 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BEASTIN
Definitely keep me posted!
So did you ever figure out what you wanted? Can you clarify what you mean by fast? You tend to ask a lot of questions but can't seem to repsond when questions are asked of you. Complaining about answers you don't like isn't productive either. Can't help you much if you don't take the time to clarify what you're looking for.
Old 02-12-16, 09:01 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I think the OP should check out a Dodge Charger Hellcat if he wants a powerful four door or buy a car that has a huge fan base and available parts for heavy modding. I can't see why you would want to "modify" a well balanced, quiet, luxury car like the LS that is powerful enough as it comes from the factory..... That's just my $.02 and I love fast street cars and I own a SRT Charger but modding a LS engine/trans does NOT make sense to me ESPECIALLY with 24" wheels.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 02-12-16 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 05:10 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
There was a similar thread some time ago. In my opinion the car is already too fast for its own good. The steering, brakes and suspension can't handle the speed this car can go. Although let me qualify I am talking about my 2007 model. The F Sport and other newer models may well be different.

I do understand if you want more torque so you can accelerate faster, that's fine. I have no quarrel with BEASTIN wanting that. As long as you are going in a straight line and don't have to make any kind of maneuver at high speed you're OK.

It just never ceases to amaze me when I see these minivans on the highway doing speeds above 80 mph and some are swerving in and out of lanes. Their center of gravity is so high, not to mention inadequate brakes, tires, and probably driver ability. Those people have no idea what's going to happen when they have to brake or take evasive action.
Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner!

It blows my mind watching people go fast on the highway, especially the unkept mini vans and suv's, packed with a boatload of kids. Meanwhile I'm concerned in my car going 80. I know what it takes to stop a car going fast and believe me those mini vans aren't equipped for it. And then you can throw in weather; I often see the same people bombing down the highway when it's snowing and I think...this is going to end poorly...and sometimes it does.

The 460 is a pretty fast car for its size, there are faster cars in its class, but it has a good band of power in all driving situations. The brake system is outstanding, the clamping force of the calipers are amazing. When I drive a different car there is an adjustment period that I need to make to get used to the inferior braking systems to the LS....the LS is just an amazing vehicle all around.