LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Adding Horsepower and Torque???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 03:21 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you willing to ship or drop your car in MD for a few weeks Beastin? I contacted Swift Racing awhile back about making an intake/ecu combo. They were all for it, but needed to have a car for fitment and testing. There was no one local that was willing to drop their car, which I understand completely. Not a magic bullet, but a few ponies and added growl From the V8 would be nice.
Old 02-10-16, 03:38 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Okay serious question here, why would anyone want to hear the "growl"? I mean the LS was designed and engineered to eliminate the outside noise. Going so far as to even laminate the glass to reduce sound transmission. I would think if one wanted more power and sound you could build an IS or GS or even and RC and do it much cheaper. I just paid nearly $65k for my LS and a brand spanking new GS could've been had for much less. I know we all like to personalize our cars etc but the question is why start off with the LS platform in the first place?
Old 02-11-16, 09:09 AM
BEASTIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Humorous that almost every response speaks of 24's... This post is about adding hp and torque. My other post is a totally different post. I ask to get ideas not to be critiqued about combining all of the ideas. Haha! Thanks for the all of the info that was received that pertains to the topic, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 02-11-16, 09:21 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BEASTIN
Humorous that almost every response speaks of 24's... This post is about adding hp and torque. My other post is a totally different post. I ask to get ideas not to be critiqued about combining all of the ideas. Haha! Thanks for the all of the info that was received that pertains to the topic, it's greatly appreciated.
Okay so why choose the LS as a platform for a performance car?
Old 02-11-16, 09:27 AM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't say that many responses were about the 24's however it's all in sarcasm and good intent without malice. Some have pointed out realistic opinions on increase horsepower and torque. Also be glad we have taken your previous posts into consideration to answer this post to better assist you in your decision making.
Old 02-11-16, 10:17 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Seeing as I was the one to bring it up, I'll explain why I mentioned the 24" rims.

You made a post about wanting to put 24" rims on the car. Then you make a post looking for ideas on making the car faster. Making the car faster and at the same time making it heavier tend to go against each other. It would be similar to going to McDonalds and eating one of everything in order to lose weight.

None of it was meant to put you or your ideas down. It's your money. Put 30" rims on it with a Skittles paint job, doesn't matter to me. I was just pointing out that if you are looking to make the car faster, adding weight isn't going to help.

I can feel the difference when my car have 4 passengers vs 1, so I imagine it would have a similar negative effect on the car.
Old 02-11-16, 10:35 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Humorous that almost every response speaks of 24's... This post is about adding hp and torque.
Wheel weight is particularly bad for speed... wheels are unsprung, and it takes a good deal of force to speed up or slow down their rotation. Adding 24s will make your car slower, but you want it to be faster. That's why people are mentioning the 24s.
Old 02-11-16, 10:50 AM
BEASTIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How to add Horsepower and torque assistance needed only. Thanks
Old 02-11-16, 11:37 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Okay then strip all the resonators, catalytic convertors and resonators from the firewall back. You'll add some HP while losing torque but top end speed should be increased, you'll also get that nice rumble you're looking for since the cabin is pretty silent as it is.
Old 02-11-16, 11:44 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

You ask for assistance yet you won't to answer any question either, doesn't sound very productive to me.

What year is your car? What model? RWD or RWD? You want it fast but what does that mean? Off the line is considered quick, top end speed is considered fast. You running the drags? Want to slalom? Running SCCA? Have a lot of rolling hills and curves in you area or want to just run it like the autobahn? More details will yield productive results IMHO
Old 02-11-16, 02:11 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Okay so why choose the LS as a platform for a performance car?
Why not? I think one of the things people really miss out on with the LS is an S65 competitor. Mercedes took a big heavy S550 and added an even bigger engine that makes massive amounts of HP and the thing sells. There's nothing wrong with wanting an LS that can pulverize the rear tires or do a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds.
There's a member here installed an electronic control on his exhaust for example. He's able to go from nice and quiet LS to angry LS with the push of a button; best of both worlds. The LS isn't going to lose any of its characteristics with more power per se, it'll just gain the ability to become a monster at a moments notice.

Anyway OP, as you can tell, the only way to make the LS faster (whether it be for 0-60+ sprints or top speed) is to throw massive amounts of money at it (case in point HKS's Supercharger). Unlike other cars, where you can walk into a shop and get a Stage 1 tune (typically just an ECU flash) for a few hundred bucks, we don't have an ECU tune to give more power and we don't have easy bolt on options to increase power output. I'm sure you can get a performance company to help you get the most power out of your LS if you're looking to do such a thing though and many LS owners would sure thank you for helping in the development of a tune and such. Good luck though!
Old 02-11-16, 02:45 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll let you know how the install goes.
Old 02-11-16, 02:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,197 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Why not? I think one of the things people really miss out on with the LS is an S65 competitor. Mercedes took a big heavy S550 and added an even bigger engine that makes massive amounts of HP and the thing sells. There's nothing wrong with wanting an LS that can pulverize the rear tires or do a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds.
There's a member here installed an electronic control on his exhaust for example. He's able to go from nice and quiet LS to angry LS with the push of a button; best of both worlds. The LS isn't going to lose any of its characteristics with more power per se, it'll just gain the ability to become a monster at a moments notice.

Anyway OP, as you can tell, the only way to make the LS faster (whether it be for 0-60+ sprints or top speed) is to throw massive amounts of money at it (case in point HKS's Supercharger). Unlike other cars, where you can walk into a shop and get a Stage 1 tune (typically just an ECU flash) for a few hundred bucks, we don't have an ECU tune to give more power and we don't have easy bolt on options to increase power output. I'm sure you can get a performance company to help you get the most power out of your LS if you're looking to do such a thing though and many LS owners would sure thank you for helping in the development of a tune and such. Good luck though!
As I posted above, two of our CL vendors are now selling Lexus tunes with the recently cracked ECU and making real power improvements. Quote from RRACING as an example for the isf

Baseline: RRRacing ISF, RRRacing Intake pipe, K&N filter, RRRacing Bazooka exhaust, full decat exhaust and OEM manifolds.

Tuned Map: Everything the same, only added the tune.

Baseline Results:

Hood Closed (intake air temps about 120F): about 345-353whp, 342wtq

Tuned Results:
Hood open (intake air temps about 70F-95F)... 405whp, 389wtq
Hood closed (intake air temps about 115F - 120F)... 395whp, 377wtq

Note this is Wheel horsepower, not at the crank.

If it were my LS, I'd hold off on any intake or supercharger spend until they get around to tuning the LS. This sells for $650-$750.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-11-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 03:18 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

MB have been making high performance sedans for decades, like the 70's 6.9 S-class, long before Lexus was thought of. The S65 costs three times as much as the LS, plus the S65 excels. Two completely different types of automobiles with different intentions. Initially Lexus was all about luxury and MB was all about performance, racing, innovations, luxury and safety. It would be nice for Lexus to develop a true LS sports performance sedan because the F-sport offers very little. Currently I personally don't believe there is a market for a LS type AMG sport automobile. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-11-16, 03:48 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If it were my LS, I'd hold off on any intake or supercharger spend until they get around to tuning the LS. This sells for $650-$750.
This will have to go on top of the supercharger spend for me then

Support our CL Vendors!

Quick Reply: Adding Horsepower and Torque???