LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Playing DVD Movies on Navi (2013+)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 01:21 PM
Natelw
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you for posting, Nate! I will definitely have to look at your link and comotiger's later this evening. I just got off the phone with a Beat-Sonic rep. It seems the mirroring kit is only Android or iPhone, but not both. There's only one channel reserved so I have to pick one. I have never installed an aftermarket HU before and so am not familiar with pulling out the dash and such. Hoping the linked videos will give me confidence to try it myself. Although inexperienced, I kind of believe I'm going to be more careful with my own car than some pro shop employees. Not trying to put down pro shops. Just that the expertise and quality of installation is not consistent across the board. If I do go the pro shop route for installation, I want to make sure they have installed the particular part, in the particular car before. I don't want my car to be their first or else I'll just do it myself.

Jason, don't be afraid to do it yourself, it is very simple with Beatsonic's instructions (and my video ) Make sure that if you order from Beatsonic you let them know you are a Clublexus member as they will give you a generous discount.

AC (aka Comotiger) uses the mirroring which I know he enjoys, but I just couldn't find any reason to use it personally. I have my phone (iPhone 7 plus) mounted on the dash with a Smart & Easy magnetic mount that enables me to use my phone (when safe and necessary).
. Good luck whichever way you go!
Old 03-21-17, 04:45 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Natelw
Jason, don't be afraid to do it yourself, it is very simple with Beatsonic's instructions (and my video ) Make sure that if you order from Beatsonic you let them know you are a Clublexus member as they will give you a generous discount.

AC (aka Comotiger) uses the mirroring which I know he enjoys, but I just couldn't find any reason to use it personally. I have my phone (iPhone 7 plus) mounted on the dash with a Smart & Easy magnetic mount that enables me to use my phone (when safe and necessary). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKdbDj3esw4&t=72s. Good luck whichever way you go!

That's how I felt at first too, Nate, since I use a 5.7" phablet too. After more thought though, I could see the benefits of the mirroring kit, especially since it also includes the DVD bypass features. Most of my DVD/BD collection is transcoded to MP4 now anyways and it would be easier accessing/mirroring files from my phone, rather than carrying discs. Is there a way to copy movies to the internal navigation harddisk? My other concern is what types of video formats are supported by the ML system? If the ML system can't play a particular movie file, then at least I can have my phone decode the file and mirror it. Would be neat to stream Netflix on occasion and mirror it too.

Both kits offer incredible value and make the car even that much more enjoyable to use. Can't wait to add it to our car soon. Thanks again for the encouragement and walkthroughs on how to break open the dash. I'll post back when I get things installed. Planning to do it myself and emailed Beat-Sonic a moment ago for a possible forum member discount. I'll probably also order their Radio Removal Kit since I don't have any of the right tools at the moment and don't want to damage the leather or finishes on the car.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-22-17 at 03:59 PM.