LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AWD Transfer Case Vibration Possible Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 05:16 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AWD Transfer Case Vibration Possible Fix

Ever since I purchased my 08 LS600hL it had the common issue of the vibration and noise as described in TSB L-SB-0023-11. I had a hard time believing that there was some crazy expensive magic fluid that would fix the problem. As an experiment I decided to instead replace the fluid with Amsoil 75w90 severe gear. It is a GL 5 fluid and as far is Toyota is concerned an acceptable substitute. It even has a street price of $16 a quart. Far cry from the $120+ the Toyota miracle fluid goes for.

So with the amsoil in hand, I drained the existing fluid and replaced. Instead of driving for 1 mile as the repair suggests, I decided to drive a week to really let the fluid work in. After about 5 minutes of driving the noise and shuddering effectively disappeared. I can turn much more smoothly now.

After driving the car for a week now I'm glad to report that the fix has still worked flawlessly. I will continue to drive for another 5000 miles and at my next oil change if the noise starts to return I will repeat the process and keep this thread updated. Hopefully this can save other Awd owners out there some money!

Last edited by JiffyPop; 09-24-15 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-08-15, 04:59 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having the same issue with my 09 460awd. thinking about tackling this myself in the future. thanks for the info
Old 10-11-15, 04:49 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Original gear oil these cars came with is 08885-02606 (LX). This was replaced with 08885-81085 (LL80) to
address low speed “chugging” or “lurching” around turns caused by the transfer case limited slip fluid breaking down, leading to the LSD clutches binding up (common issue on clutch-type limited slip differentials with long fluid change intervals).

Do you know when was the last time gear oil was changed on this car?. Amsoil may have solved the clutch binding problem now, but there is no guarantee it won't come back. Only time will tell. Keep us posted.

Even if you have to change Amsoil after few years, net cost still be less than LL80 fluid assuming that doesn't introduce any other issue.
Old 10-11-15, 10:38 AM
JiffyPop
Driver

The car previously had the original transfer case fluid (LX). I did go ahead and change the fluid one more time since I already had the extra fluid. After the first change, i would say about 90% of the binding was gone. With the second change it has completely disappeared.

I am confident that this will solve the problem permanently. I will however continue to monitor the performance. I am sure the Amsoil will not introduce any new problems as it is listed as a API GL-5 spec fluid, and the owners manual does state that the use of GL-5 is acceptable.
Old 06-16-16, 07:43 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It has been several months now since you reported on your experiment. Has the noise returned in any way? Thanks.
Old 06-16-16, 07:45 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Originally Posted by wayman28
It has been several months now since you reported on your experiment. Has the noise returned in any way? Thanks.
Happy to report that the noise has not returned and that everything is running as smooth as glass for me.
Old 06-17-16, 11:01 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

this something that can be done diy? or you suggest at a dealer?

Originally Posted by JiffyPop
Happy to report that the noise has not returned and that everything is running as smooth as glass for me.
Old 06-18-16, 07:08 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Diy

Differential and the transfer case are the easiest and most rewarding DIY (ramps and wheel chocks required). Drain and refill with the best fluid you can afford. My personal favorites are Redline, Amsoil, RP and Mobil1 (in that order). Make sure the fluid meets the spec for your car and put it in.

Transfer Case: 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
Front Differential: 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
Rear Differential: 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=40&pcid=4
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...e-gear-75w-90/
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/max-gear/
https://mobiloil.com/en/gear-lubrica...c-gear-lube-ls

Last edited by superdenso; 06-18-16 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LuvmyLS (09-09-17)
Old 06-18-16, 07:27 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Differential and the transfer case are the easiest and most rewarding DIY (ramps and wheel chocks required). Drain and refill with the best fluid you can afford.
This. I did mine in about a half hour. I used Toyota fluid which was priced similar to aftermarket fluids.
Old 06-20-16, 11:23 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great information much appreciated...
Old 06-25-16, 01:00 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally had this service done today. I used the Amsoil Severe Gear which cost me $20/qt with shipping and taxes. My local mechanic charged one hours labor at $85. I followed the TSB (drain/fill three times while driving for one mile in between each drain/fill). I just got the car and did some low speed circles in a parking lot in drive and reverse. The vibration is totally gone. Hopefully it stays that way.

Total cost was about $130. Had I used the Toyota transfer case fluid (at $140/qt) and had the work done at a Lexus dealership, it would have cost me close to $600.

Thanks for all the info sharing.
Old 06-26-16, 03:30 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Originally Posted by wayman28
I finally had this service done today. I used the Amsoil Severe Gear which cost me $20/qt with shipping and taxes. My local mechanic charged one hours labor at $85. I followed the TSB (drain/fill three times while driving for one mile in between each drain/fill). I just got the car and did some low speed circles in a parking lot in drive and reverse. The vibration is totally gone. Hopefully it stays that way.

Total cost was about $130. Had I used the Toyota transfer case fluid (at $140/qt) and had the work done at a Lexus dealership, it would have cost me close to $600.

Thanks for all the info sharing.
Great news to hear! Keep us updated down the road as to how it works out for you.
Old 09-09-17, 08:24 PM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a vibration when starting and accelerating with the steering wheel turned. I had my local shop drain and fill the transfer case with Redline gear oil for differentials and transfer cases. I had the shop repeat the drain and fill process once (I know the TSB says twice). The vibration is completely gone. I paid $17/quart for the oil. My local shop charged me an hour labor. Here's a link to the oil I used.
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=40&pcid=4
Old 09-09-17, 09:24 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Here is a incredibly detailed comparison of gear oils: http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-...comparison.pdf

Cliff Notes version: Amsoil #1, Mobil 1 #2. See page 19.
Old 09-10-17, 08:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, it was sponsored by Amsoil......... But hopefully, its representative.

Quick Reply: AWD Transfer Case Vibration Possible Fix