LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire rotation

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 08:36 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tire rotation

Don't really understand this.
According to the manual the drivers side tires get rotated with each other so the two tires always stay on that side.
The passenger tires get rotated with the spare tire. So those 3 get rotated with each other.
I fail to see the benefit of this other than making the tires on the passenger side last longer.
But I would always replace all the tires at the same time so don't see any benefit. When the drivers side needs tires I would replace the passenger side also.
And the drawback is I will need to buy 5 tires instead of 4 when it is time to replace them.
I am thinking don't allow the spare to be in the rotation tire service.
Any opinions?
Thanks
Old 02-16-14, 08:58 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayh78
Don't really understand this.
According to the manual the drivers side tires get rotated with each other so the two tires always stay on that side.
The passenger tires get rotated with the spare tire. So those 3 get rotated with each other.
I fail to see the benefit of this other than making the tires on the passenger side last longer.
But I would always replace all the tires at the same time so don't see any benefit. When the drivers side needs tires I would replace the passenger side also.
And the drawback is I will need to buy 5 tires instead of 4 when it is time to replace them.
I am thinking don't allow the spare to be in the rotation tire service.
Any opinions?
Thanks
When I had my stock wheels on, i rotated front to back and then switch sides..essentially all tires did their job rotation at all 4 corner offices at some point

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-16-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 04:21 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, I agree with not using their rotation pattern. There is a rotation pattern where all five tires are equally used. I used to use that pattern years ago, but I don't bother any more.
Old 02-17-14, 07:26 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
When I had my stock wheels on, i rotated front to back and then switch sides..essentially all tires did their job rotation at all 4 corner offices at some point

This is exactly the right way to do it. Cross the front tires on their way to the rear and move the rears straight to the front. This works for any rwd or awd drive vehicle. Tire manufactures also recommend this rotation pattern in the info/warranty pamphlet in a new car.

Working each tire in all four positions does wonders for their longevity. It also will stop or greatly reduce cupping wear that can make tires noisy enough to prompt early replacement. If you rub your hand along the tread edges, you will likely find that it feels much smoother along its forward rolling direction. And much rougher rubbed against the rolling direction. Sort of like a shark skin, rough one way and smoother the other way. Unchecked, this wear develops into cupping.

So cross rotation not only distributes positional wear patterns but just as importantly eliminates wear from constantly rolling in only one direction.
Old 02-17-14, 08:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As I have staggered tires on my ride (and directional as well), I don't have to worry about such things. BUT I often wondered the logic of doing tire rotations as explained below in a report I read:

Those who say rotating tires is a waste of time argue that it makes more sense to replace the front tires on a front-wheel drive car or minivan when they wear out, but to leave the back tires alone -- especially if you're putting a lot of miles on the vehicle or plan to keep it a long time. The back tires will probably last as long as two sets of front tires, so in the long run you end up buying the same number or possibly even fewer tires by not rotating. Plus, you've saved the time and money that would have been spent on rotating the tires.

This argument doesn't fly in the case of certain low profile performance tires that have a tendency to develop a heel-and-toe wear pattern if left in the same wheel position too long.

For rear-wheel drive cars and trucks, the recommended tire rotation pattern is to rotate the front wheels to the opposite side on the rear, and move the rear wheels to the same side on the front.

For front-wheel drive cars and minivans, the recommended tire rotation pattern is to rotate the rear wheels to the front on the opposite side, and move the front wheels to the rear on the same side.
Old 02-17-14, 01:25 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks,
Did not even know Lexus recommend a 5 tire rotation. But I noticed the spare had been used.
Only had the car a month and it has 18K miles on a 2011 sport.
So since everybody here agrees 5 tires is a waste, I will stick to the 4 tires. Most likely I will just put a large note on top of the spare that just said “Please just use a 4 tire rotation and not use the spare”
That way I don’t have to remember to tell the service dept. And will only need to buy 4 tires instead of 5 when the time comes. Also there are plenty of cars without even a full size spare.
Old 02-18-14, 05:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Some tires have a particular rotation direction. This means they cannot be swapped with the other side, as that would give rotation in the wrong direction. Those tires can only be rotated front to back on their respective sides. Make sure that your tire dealer is reputable and understands this. My daughter had her car serviced by the dealer (Honda in this case), and they rotated the tires when not asked to do so. She then took the car directly to Costco for balance and tire rotation unaware that the dealer had balanced and rotated the tires "for free". Costco noticed that they had been installed incorrectly and fixed it immediately.

Last edited by jayclapp; 02-18-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 06:43 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Ray, not to confuse you, the 5 tire rotation I was referring to was not a Lexus recommendation. It is just a standard rotation to be used when rotating 5 tires. It should also be noted that there are two 5 tire rotation patterns, one for FWD and one for RWD. You can find the patterns on the Tire Rack website.

Jay, that is inexcusable. Directional tires all have an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction of tire rotation. And to top it off I bet that dealer charges 3 times what Costco charges.