LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

tire pressure readings...tpms

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 07:16 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire pressure readings...tpms

Trying to figure out the tpms codes for the four tires...not the spare. I am getting four new tpms for dedicated snow tire/wheels. Had the existing tpms scanned and got five codes. Need to eliminate code for spare. Have determined first pressure reading on dash is spare. Any clue if first tire Pressure on dash correlates to first tpms code scanned? Do not want to inadvertently have spare tpms code programmed to the new tpms sensors.
Thanks Mike
Old 11-08-12, 07:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its different for everyone. Its not the best system. With my wife's old Acura it told us what wheel it was reporting but with the LS you have to guess. Kind of weak.
Old 11-09-12, 04:11 AM
tedpapuga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike171333
Trying to figure out the tpms codes for the four tires...not the spare. I am getting four new tpms for dedicated snow tire/wheels. Had the existing tpms scanned and got five codes. Need to eliminate code for spare. Have determined first pressure reading on dash is spare. Any clue if first tire Pressure on dash correlates to first tpms code scanned? Do not want to inadvertently have spare tpms code programmed to the new tpms sensors.
Thanks Mike
You could raise or lower tire pressure and see what reading changes on your dash in relation to what tire you changed pressure in.
What programmable tpms sensors did you find Orange had some but they are out of business?
Old 11-15-12, 12:46 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Originally Posted by tedpapuga
You could raise or lower tire pressure and see what reading changes on your dash in relation to what tire you changed pressure in.
What programmable tpms sensors did you find Orange had some but they are out of business?

I am trying some from ALLIANCE automotive on E Bay. Also, the Lexus dealer told me the first reading on the dash display AND the TPMS reader via the OBD are always the spare.
Old 11-30-12, 04:42 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Default tpms for snow tires---install complete---works fine

[/U]

I am trying some from ALLIANCE automotive on E Bay. Also, the Lexus dealer told me the first reading on the dash display AND the TPMS reader via the OBD are always the spare.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...I did install theE Bay TPMS on my dedicated snow tires and wheels. Had the tire dealer read the original codes on the factory wheels, bought the new TPMS on e bay ..$161.00 for four....the seller programmed them [free] to match the four coming off the car. Tire dealer installed the Michelin snows and TPMS on a spare set of wheels....and fired it up....viola... the new codes read perfectly. Only have a very few miles since and fastest speed 65mph....but the Michelin snows...X-Ice Xi3.. ...seems to be very quiet and ride softer than my Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.
.So I am good to go.....and because I did this it will not snow.
mike
Old 11-30-12, 08:37 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have determined first pressure reading on dash is spare. Any clue if first tire Pressure on dash correlates to first tpms code scanned?
Interesting, just went through this last week on my '08 LS and the bottom low pressure, on the five listed, turned out to be the spare.

Yeah, pretty lame engineering when the $70K Lexus flagship can't tell which tire is in which position when other cheaper cars have been doing it for years.

Must be the same engineering group that designed the NAV programming. They should go to Garmin and find out how to do it.

Whit
Old 11-30-12, 09:38 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

[/U]

Well, on my dash display on my former LS460 and my LS600hL now, the last position is my spare, never the first. So that is not a true statement for all. I recall each time Discount Tire scanned my TPMS for programming, it seemed to follow the order as to how they were scanned...they did my left side first, then my right side, then spare...and it always seems to match up on the dash too..but the system sucks..the fact that entry level cars in the market even have position identifying sensors..major oversight on Lexus designers back then
Old 11-30-12, 10:12 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Default no simple one size fits all, then....

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Well, on my dash display on my former LS460 and my LS600hL now, the last position is my spare, never the first. So that is not a true statement for all. I recall each time Discount Tire scanned my TPMS for programming, it seemed to follow the order as to how they were scanned...they did my left side first, then my right side, then spare...and it always seems to match up on the dash too..but the system sucks..the fact that entry level cars in the market even have position identifying sensors..major oversight on Lexus designers back then
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too bad not all are the same....I keep my spare at least at 40psi so that I am sure it will be good if I need it. Since it is so much higher than the other four it is easy to spot it on the dash readings [and obviously you can pinpoint each of the four others....by individually airing them up and seeing where they are located].
If i need the spare I can always let a little air out to get it to the proper pressure....better to be able to release air then try to find a pump.

Mike
Old 11-30-12, 01:40 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I am one of the few who doesn't derive any useful information from knowing which pressure is associated with which tire. For me, and I think the designers of the LS460, the TPMS is a safety system and not a utility system.

I believe the real weakness in the design of the LS TPMS and all the other TPMS systems too, is the inability to display the low pressure warning thresholds. With the current design the warning thresholds are a faith sort of thing unless you personally set them and closely control access to the set switch it is anybody's guess. For most owners the TPMS is a nuisance because they don't understand the benchmark process and they would prefer a utility system, but the NHTSA TPMS mandate was intended as a safety system.