LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drivers Seat Noise Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 06:18 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers Seat Noise Problem

I have an issue with the left seat cushion bolster on my LS. The problem is that it makes a noise whenever it is compressed and has done so since the car was new. The original noise was a creaking sound that the dealership originally said was due to the leather being new and not "broken in". They put some leather conditioner on it a few times but the noise never went away or got better. They've also told me on many occasions that the noise is "normal" and many LS seats have that issue.

To make a long story short, after months of trying different things, they finally agreed to replace the seat cushion and leather cover. Unfortunately there is still a noise when the bolster is compressed - only now it is a "squeak" sort of like what you would hear from a childs toy. Lexus is saying that the noise is not anything unusual, that many LS's have the same/similar noise and that they will not be doing any further either in the way of working on the seat or replacing it.

I don't want to sound petty but the noise is pretty annoying - particularly given it is in a $75K+ car. I've never had a seat with a noise like this and i have owned 4 Lexus vehicles. I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced an issue like this and is it indeed "common and typical".

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 07-12-12, 10:42 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a same issue. I had in 07 and have it in 08 LS. Nothing they can do to get rid of it. I stopped paying attention and suggest you do the same thing.
Old 07-12-12, 10:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

What I would do is to take to to a custom upholstery shop. They can take the pad off and line the bottom of it with foam to stop the noise. I had crazy discomfort in my seat and I took mine in and they added 1" od foam. The seat is so much better now. I know my scenario was different but I just wanted to let you know in case you are worried about taking the car to an independent shop. They did an amazing job and it was only 100 bucks. sounds like you have leather rubbing against leather beneath the pad
Old 07-12-12, 11:44 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What I would do is to take to to a custom upholstery shop. They can take the pad off and line the bottom of it with foam to stop the noise. I had crazy discomfort in my seat and I took mine in and they added 1" od foam. The seat is so much better now. I know my scenario was different but I just wanted to let you know in case you are worried about taking the car to an independent shop. They did an amazing job and it was only 100 bucks. sounds like you have leather rubbing against leather beneath the pad
Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact I've already researched upholstery shops in the Atlanta area and found one that seems to get very good reviews. The original creaking noise sounded like leather rubbing but the noise I have now is like a squeak - almost sounds like air passing through a pinhole when the bolster is compressed.

I'll take the car to the upholstery shop after I've exhausted my options with Lexus.
Old 07-12-12, 11:48 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dimapb
I have a same issue. I had in 07 and have it in 08 LS. Nothing they can do to get rid of it. I stopped paying attention and suggest you do the same thing.
Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear that you have the same issue. Never had this issue in my other LS460, LS430 or GS430.

My problem is that I am somewhat **** about noises in my cars. I can't stand rattles/creaks/etc. and I'm having a tough time "ignoring" this noise - particulary since i hear it every time I get in/out and when I go over bumps in the road. I'm a pretty good negotiator and I'm still trying to work this out with Lexus but I have my doubts that I will get anyhere on this one.
Old 07-12-12, 02:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

No problem buddy. After my experience I figured I would share. The only think is when you pull into these shops they usually dont look perfect and pristine like a Lexus dealership does but they will nail it. If you want you can have them add a little memory foam to the base of the seat. It did wonder for my seat comfort. The noise I think will be pretty easy for them to fix. The tech at Bell Lexus ( the worst Lexus dealer I have come across ) lost his mind trying to put the oem pad on. The SA tole me " he said he will be damned before he does that seat cushion work again". ( typical Bell Lexus service as of lately unfortunately ). In the end these tech dont know a whole bunch about interior work. Leave it to the pros and you will be happy you did.
Old 07-13-12, 06:41 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
No problem buddy. After my experience I figured I would share. The only think is when you pull into these shops they usually dont look perfect and pristine like a Lexus dealership does but they will nail it. If you want you can have them add a little memory foam to the base of the seat. It did wonder for my seat comfort. The noise I think will be pretty easy for them to fix. The tech at Bell Lexus ( the worst Lexus dealer I have come across ) lost his mind trying to put the oem pad on. The SA tole me " he said he will be damned before he does that seat cushion work again". ( typical Bell Lexus service as of lately unfortunately ). In the end these tech dont know a whole bunch about interior work. Leave it to the pros and you will be happy you did.
Interestingly, my dealer sent the car to an upholstery shop they use because they didn't want to work on it internally. Obviously, their shop didn't fix the problem. If Lexus absolutely refuses to do more work on it I'll use the shop I researched and whatever it costs, it costs. I would rather spend some $$ and get it fixed then live with it.
Old 07-29-12, 09:08 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had some seat noise AFTER I put my 2007 SWB in for the seat cushion padding TSB. Never having had any seat noise before the additional padding was installed, I knew it was something the dealer's subcontractor had done. After a short go-around with the dealer, they found the driver's seat bolts were not fully torqued down. A little dealer BFFI and the noise was gone! YMMV