LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Glove Box Adjustment DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 12:58 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I need to do my box someday. When I drove the car home the first time I said to myself WTF is with this glove box cover on a $85,000 car? Ridiculous.
Old 04-04-16, 03:05 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

My wife and I were out riding last night and she says to me, when are you going to fix this glove box door? She was bouncing it up and down to just mess with me. I just now finished making the simple adjustments with the black brackets. Loosen the screws and position the brackets where they should have been at manufacture. The whole process was a pain but it would go easier the next 50 times if I was a Lexus tech. I would say the job is worth 2 hrs labor. An hour to fix it and another for rounding up the car, doing the paperless paperwork, going to the john and additional profit. Changing any parts is just stealing since it just needs a simple adjustment. They probably just get the new part or whatever they tell you your paying for and adjust it the same way on the bench and install it and toss your perfectly good parts away. Anyway its tight now and that was the last thing on my list.
Old 05-06-17, 03:59 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
before and after
Excellent DIY!!! Just did this myself after having been staring my droopy glove box door for months. Simple, easy, fast. I left out the tensioner part only because I'm satisfied with the way it holds. All I did was loosen the two screws on each side of the glove box door arm, tightened the arm to the locking mechanism, tightened the screws back down, and it's good to go.
Thanks again!
Old 05-07-17, 11:44 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GaborL
Excellent DIY!!! Just did this myself after having been staring my droopy glove box door for months. Simple, easy, fast. I left out the tensioner part only because I'm satisfied with the way it holds. All I did was loosen the two screws on each side of the glove box door arm, tightened the arm to the locking mechanism, tightened the screws back down, and it's good to go.
Thanks again!
Any chance you could show pics of what do you mean by "tightened the arm to the locking mechanism" and of the screws your are referring to? Maybe just pointing out things on previously posted pics?
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (05-07-17)
Old 05-20-17, 03:33 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

OK, today was a nice 70 degree day, wife was gone. I figure, it's a good day to try this.... also to see if I get lucky with my A/C that always goes back to 75 degrees every time I start the car... try to kill 2 birds with one stone (excuse the term bird lovers)

Once I figured it out, it was a little tricky to understand at first but, I had to get the glove box off to understand it all. NOW ! my saggy glove box looks as good as a new car....and my A/C system seems fine as well. the little white hook was off, just a strait slot screw driver and slid the door open and bing !

On the door side I ended up popping off the little cover and tightening the 2 screws.... worked perfect. VERY happy. Took about 2 hours (with other things going on), that could of saved me over $2k+ at the dealer (A/C and saggy glove box).... very happy !

If all good this week, I will move on to the remote starter I picked up.... No use of installing a remote start of the A/C would shut off every time you turned on the car.

Thanks !
Old 05-28-17, 08:06 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Did you remove the entire glove box? Today i removed the plastic cover on the passenger side and even though i was able to access the 2 small screws i couldn't tighten anything since i didn't see how move the arm or the glove box up or down to tighten it, what do you mean by
Originally Posted by DavidinCT
.... and tightening the 2 screws !
Old 05-28-17, 08:20 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
Did you remove the entire glove box? Today i removed the plastic cover on the passenger side and even though i was able to access the 2 small screws i couldn't tighten anything since i didn't see how move the arm or the glove box up or down to tighten it, what do you mean by
Yes, I removed the entire glove box (well left one cable that was a PIA connected but, gave me range to work).

The screws that he pointed on in this post... (2 screws on each side), pull the box TIGHT, then losen the screws and move that arm so it's tight against the white piece, then tighten them back up, do that on both sides. Then you can see how close they are before putting it back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post7195911

I didn't touch the wire, as It seemed fine.
Old 05-29-17, 07:16 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Yes, I removed the entire glove box (well left one cable that was a PIA connected but, gave me range to work).

The screws that he pointed on in this post... (2 screws on each side), pull the box TIGHT, then losen the screws and move that arm so it's tight against the white piece, then tighten them back up, do that on both sides. Then you can see how close they are before putting it back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post7195911

I didn't touch the wire, as It seemed fine.
Got you, thanks for the info, i thought you can tighten those screw w/o having to remove the entire glove box.
Old 05-29-17, 10:31 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS2k
Got you, thanks for the info, i thought you can tighten those screw w/o having to remove the entire glove box.
When I was done I had a teeny bit of movement still so I put this chair pad right there and it did the trick
Old 07-05-17, 03:06 PM
Bob727
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Glove Box cracked

The upper right corner of my glove box is cracked. Is there a way to repair it? Can it be wrapped or upholstered without taking it off?
Old 01-30-21, 03:05 PM
norcalrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone tell me if I can just pull the left side of the knee airbag cover straight out towards myself while sitting in the passenger seat to access the 10mm screw behind it?

The following users liked this post:
Silverpaws (01-30-21)
Old 01-30-21, 03:51 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalrex
Can anyone tell me if I can just pull the left side of the knee airbag cover straight out towards myself while sitting in the passenger seat to access the 10mm screw behind it?
The small piece in the left corner needs to be pulled out straight to access that bolt. Forcibly gentle as it's held in by plastic clips.

Old 07-30-22, 04:34 PM
rayjoe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old thread but it allowed me to fix a problem that has been bugging me since I bought this car.

I purchased this 2008 LS460 several months ago. Ever since I've had it, upon startup the climate control system would come on for about 30 seconds at 75 degrees and not allow me to change it. After the 30 seconds or so had passed, I could adjust it. Not knowing if this was normal or not I called a dealer. Nearest one 120 miles away. Of course they where clueless and told me to bring it in and they would look at it.

Started searching this forum and found some threads that described the same problem and offered the solution. The shop that the previous owner had taken it to changed the cabin filter without putting the hvac in the recycle air mode. The control arm was out of place and did not operate the recycle door.

Now the problem was how to do I get access to the control arm to put it back in place. This thread with the pictures allowed me to remove the glove box and fix the problem.

An interesting side effect was the passenger air bag "on light" was always on when the engine was running. That seems to have been cured also. I do not understand how the two are related but it worked.

Thanks to the OP for the great pictures!!

Rayjoe