LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
Old 12-15-14, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

LS460 60k mile maintenance????

Old 09-20-11, 04:48 AM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 60k mile maintenance????

What all does the dealership do?, I need clarification....

I'm not about to pay 870.00 for their service unless absolutely needed.

For 870.00, they told me (which seems to be incomplete)

Cabin filter
Engine filter
rotate tires
radiator flush
fuel system cleaner (i bet its just an additive)
Oil Change
Wiper blades
Key fob battery

wheres the brake fluid flush? Wheres the tranny and diff flush? where's the joint lube? Wheres the power steering flush?

My Two questions are:
1. Has anyone taken theres to Toyota instead?
2. Does anyone have a more complete list than i do? am i missing things?

Desperately need help.... Im at 62k miles.
Old 09-20-11, 05:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Definitely do the cabin filter, engine filters (2 of them), wiper blades and key fob battery yourself. Those are easy things to do yourself and are not that expensive compared to what they will charge you at the dealer. Just make sure you read the manual on the cabin filter because if you don't do it right, it can be costly.
Old 09-20-11, 09:13 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely no radiator flush. Engine has "extended life" coolant and should be good for at least 100,000 miles if not 150,000. The fuel system cleaner is also not needed. I haven't seen anywhere in the manual where this is recommended at any time. I think engine oil and filter, 2 engine air filters, and tire rotation if needed. Other items should be on an as needed basis also. In fact, items like the key fob battery can be replaced by you as pat said. I keep spare batteries on hand and replace when them when I detect the one in use is getting weak. The cabin filter should be replaced once every 30,000 miles but some owners have reported cleaning the filter with a vacuum and reusing.
No transmission flush, power steering flush, or differential flush is needed. Brake fluid may need changing especially if it looks dirty.
Old 09-20-11, 01:42 PM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

the dealership told me that is was on their "docket" of what they do at 60k... please confirm that it is not neccesarry.
Old 09-20-11, 02:06 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

For your own piece of mind, if you don't have a maintenance booklet, recommend you go to drivers.lexus.com and under My Lexus, go to maintenance schedule and input your vehicle info. Compare those recommendations with the dealer's schedule and respond accordingly. Note that the dealer's "docket" doesn't include spark plug replacement but the factory does. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-11, 02:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

The actual cost to the dealer for that service is no more than $200 ($140 parts and $60 labor), and that's being generous (and I agree you don't need radiator flush or fuel system cleaner [whatever the hell that is]). Now certainly he's entitled to make a profit on top of that $200 actual cost, but not $670!

What you need to do is find an excellent independent mechanic. He will do only what you need done at a perfectly reasonable price.
Old 09-20-11, 04:27 PM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hit 60k as well, and I was gonna make a post to see what is really necessary. Because half of the stuff they recommend is just a way to up the bill.
Old 09-20-11, 07:25 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Breitling
What all does the dealership do?, I need clarification....

I'm not about to pay 870.00 for their service unless absolutely needed.

For 870.00, they told me (which seems to be incomplete)

Cabin filter
Engine filter
rotate tires
radiator flush
fuel system cleaner (i bet its just an additive)
Oil Change
Wiper blades
Key fob battery

wheres the brake fluid flush? Wheres the tranny and diff flush? where's the joint lube? Wheres the power steering flush?

My Two questions are:
1. Has anyone taken theres to Toyota instead?
2. Does anyone have a more complete list than i do? am i missing things?

Desperately need help.... Im at 62k miles.
I know lots of people call them stealerships, but I just want to say one thing (hey I hate dealerships too)

They aren't always trying to rip you off
Seriously

Find out what each legitimate service item is, you can find the parts online, price them out. Add tax. Then find out how much each service is rated for service hours. At minimum do $100 * #hours = labor cost. Once you have parts and labor you have a minimum price at which you can reasonably ask for the total cost to be. Sometimes I find people think that means if you get it cheaper you're getting a good deal - usually it means you've ****ed something up and cut corners. At the end of the day the only thing making supply and demand perfectly clear is consumers with information. You find the information, you find the cost and price.

Now you need to find an independent mechanic because once you know what you need to do, you can get it done directly. But don't do this too early because you will then run into unknown unknowns. I would say until you fully understand the chain reaction of events involved in an automobiles components, don't ever assume you have covered things 100%. Even the factory says stuff which is questionable. Sometimes they say it because the engineers who designed the vehicle made it that way, sometimes they say it because the people working on the car in the field made it that way. I think the truth is somewhere in between

Anyways
at 60k fuel system cleaner is probably bg44k or something

Official lexus says www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf
Old 09-21-11, 07:57 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Engine oil change, oil filter, air filters (2 of them), cabin filter, brake fluid change, brake pads & rotors inspection, bolts and hoses inspection. That's it.

Coolant change? Fuel system cleanser? Waste of money at the very least. It's not listed under the recommended maintenance table.
Old 10-11-11, 01:23 PM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

got my 60k done finally... at a toyota dealership.... cost was 372.00 out the door.
Old 10-11-11, 01:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

What exactly did they do for the 60k service?
Old 10-11-11, 03:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
What exactly did they do for the 60k service?
They took it to a Lexus dealship and got it done for $250 with their employee discount!
Old 10-11-11, 11:52 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just compare the cabin filter. At lexus they quoted me 100 and i had it purchased at Toyota for 40 and the tech installed it for free. They tried to tell me it was an LS600 specific part I told them a Tundra premium one works fine and sure enough it has just as new.
Old 10-12-11, 04:54 AM
JC&AB
Driver School Candidate

Just had my 60ks ervice. In the UK the charge was $1,314. Perhaps I should ship it to the US for servicing?
Old 10-12-11, 05:40 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

FWIW not every stealership is a rip off

I like to use 100$ to 120$/hr for labor, price out the parts, add 10 to 15% and see what you're paying vs what you could/should pay

Also on my M6 I had worn out my old plugs to the point of misfiring at 50k miles, considering the LS600 has the IS-F engine, which is a powerful sports car engine, I would say somewhere 60k miles is as far as I'd go for plugs

Do you have pics of your old plugs? If they are oval tipped we can see how worn they are

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 60k mile maintenance????