LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson amplify replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 06:02 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mark Levinson amplify replacement

Anyone replace their ML stock amp in the LS460 with an aftermarket one? Which aftermarket amp do you recommend?
Old 01-28-11, 08:24 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You really can't just "replace it" but you can get a dsp like the Rockford fosgate 3sixty.2 and add in additional amps. The cambus in this car is very sensitive, in order to keep your controls on the wheel and with your head unit you need a dsp. Also the drivers in this vehicle are specially matched to the amplifier which is a multiple channel output device there isn't another unit like it as it was custom made for the LS

I added the 3sixty.2 along with several Focal amps and took all the drivers out and replaced them with Focal and JL components, about a weeks worth of fabrication and a month of tuning and it's done to my desire. The 3sixty.2 ties into your existing amp.
Old 01-28-11, 11:34 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you want to replace it?

Not loud enough?
Old 01-28-11, 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am surprised that the system doesnt meet your needs. Its an amazing system. The fidelity and the power is awesome.
Old 01-28-11, 02:08 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Until you have heard a stellar aftermarket system ;-)
Old 01-28-11, 04:43 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like lots of troubles
Old 04-15-11, 08:18 PM
gsgdbeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson

I'm with CMASTEN , nothing wrong with the ML but after owning a decent aftermarket system (Alpine MRV 340 4 channel amp and Infinity speakers all around including subwoofer) I am in process of upgrading my ML. Its all relative, if you're happy with ML stay with it.
Old 04-16-11, 01:12 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

i agree the ML is the Best starting point i've seen from a factory system.. but it wont hold a candle to a quality aftermarket system (& it doesnt get better than Focal).. jus remember (to quote the master)

"Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
- If you can't afford it, drive the car stock."
Old 04-20-11, 04:45 AM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think ML is great if you want clarity/fidelity but forget it if you listen to any bass tracks. I had ML in a gs300 and after ripping out ML in gs and putting p800,focals,alpine pdx and a small 10inch re audio sx , i don't think ML in the LS compares. But on the other hand, ML will do fine for now since i don't listen to music THAT loud anymore. getting old sucks.
Old 04-30-11, 11:10 PM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

I have an ML in an LS460. Can one 3sixty.2 be put in front of the ML3-16 amplifier and tune all the output channels? i.e. are the inputs to the amp just L, R and possibly SW? Do they come in as part of a harness? i.e. not RCA? My car is still under warranty so I am not ready to rip it all out yet but the sound really bothers me and I would like to start tuning it a bit. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by cmasten
You really can't just "replace it" but you can get a dsp like the Rockford fosgate 3sixty.2 and add in additional amps. The cambus in this car is very sensitive, in order to keep your controls on the wheel and with your head unit you need a dsp. Also the drivers in this vehicle are specially matched to the amplifier which is a multiple channel output device there isn't another unit like it as it was custom made for the LS

I added the 3sixty.2 along with several Focal amps and took all the drivers out and replaced them with Focal and JL components, about a weeks worth of fabrication and a month of tuning and it's done to my desire. The 3sixty.2 ties into your existing amp.
Old 05-01-11, 07:57 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by justintm99
I have an ML in an LS460. Can one 3sixty.2 be put in front of the ML3-16 amplifier and tune all the output channels? i.e. are the inputs to the amp just L, R and possibly SW? Do they come in as part of a harness? i.e. not RCA? My car is still under warranty so I am not ready to rip it all out yet but the sound really bothers me and I would like to start tuning it a bit. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
The DSPs on the market are all intended to take the output of the stock amplifiers and then it normalizes the voltages and does all of the math (sum of stereo channels etc). The Amp in the Lexus (ML or Premium) also does double duty as a DSP, its more than just an amp so unfortunately you need to take the output of a functioning amp not the input.

Also one thing to consider if your going to use aftermarket to replace an ML system. the surround sound processing will be lost, your center channel, your surround rear speakers way back in the rear deck etc, all will be added (sumed) to provide a main stereo pair to them then feed into various amps or a single multichannel amp, so if you watch DVDs etc and like the effects of the bullets flying around you, a lot of that effect will be lost, as it is all handled by the 5.1 processor in the ML amp that comes from the factory. Its really a very specific "fit for purpose" device that was custom made for the OEM system.

Rockford now has a newer 3Sixty.3 which is a true 6 channel device, that may allow you to take the 5 chanels (plus the .1) for a total of 6 to work with an ML, but you would have to contact them to find out, Im not sure that was the intent of the device,but in theory that may work.

Last edited by cmasten; 05-01-11 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-01-11, 10:19 AM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Losing all surround processing is OK for me, since I cannot play movies. For music I would prefer no surround processing, i.e. no synthetic generation of signals. Just basic front, rear and SW.

I did a bit more reading. Yes I was hoping as you said that the ML amp doubles as a DSP, i.e. the HU provides only input source switching and volume control. I am not familiar with current design concepts but theorize as follows. When I play a CD, the only thing that comes out is L/R. This would be sent to the ML amp as analog L/R signals.The diagram of an ML amp provided in this link seems to confirm (page 2) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...am-needed.html).

What I hope is that the level of the analog L/R signal input to the ML amp is unprocessed, i.e. before volume control. This will provide max signal-to-noise ratio for the DSP. Volume control is done via their AVC-LAN network between HU and amp.This is the case in my BMW and I was able to splice in a DQXS DSP. If I could confirm this I can have a shop wire in a DSP for me.

BTW, did you have any problem controlling the 360 via bluetooth in an LS.

The DSPs on the market are all intended to take the output of the stock amplifiers and then it normalizes the voltages and does all of the math (sum of stereo channels etc). The Amp in the Lexus (ML or Premium) also does double duty as a DSP, its more than just an amp so unfortunately you need to take the output of a functioning amp not the input.

Also one thing to consider if your going to use aftermarket to replace an ML system. the surround sound processing will be lost, your center channel, your surround rear speakers way back in the rear deck etc, all will be added (sumed) to provide a main stereo pair to them then feed into various amps or a single multichannel amp, so if you watch DVDs etc and like the effects of the bullets flying around you, a lot of that effect will be lost, as it is all handled by the 5.1 processor in the ML amp that comes from the factory. Its really a very specific "fit for purpose" device that was custom made for the OEM system.

Rockford now has a newer 3Sixty.3 which is a true 6 channel device, that may allow you to take the 5 chanels (plus the .1) for a total of 6 to work with an ML, but you would have to contact them to find out, Im not sure that was the intent of the device,but in theory that may work.
Old 05-01-11, 06:12 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

That theory may work, but I am not sure that its analog to the rear amp from the head unit, from what I am seeing in the schematic its digital. The cambus in this vehicle is really complex and also really sensitive. The out from the amp is obviously analog, and I know there is a voltage threshold on the 3sixty, not sure what the head unit puts out, but its a a pretty small bundle, so my guess would be digital into the buss and back to the amp.

I have not had any BT issues talking to my Rockford unit. The software application seems to only like XP, not even compatibility mode in Win7, so I just run a Virtual Machine with XP to run that application and it connects just fine. I have tried from a MacBook pro running an XP VM and from a good old Dell lattitude that has XP native. Not having to plug anything in and the amount of control you have with the BT interface is just amazing, I spent months fine tuning it and then shifted from MPEGs to FLAC and Rockbox and had to tune it again, luckily you can save the profiles and just load them back in.
Old 05-01-11, 07:59 PM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Good to know about the Rockford, BT and XP. Having run into compatibility issues with older softwares I keep a laptop with XP as a dedicated audio test instrument. The GUI of the Rockford sure looks attractive.

I looked further and the R+/R- and L+/L- into the amp seem analog, at least sharing the same description as the signals going to the speakers ('waveform synchronized with sound is output' (sic!)). Might have to see if my portable scope still works. The output level is likely consumer standard, i.e. around .3Vrms. The Rockford 360 is spec'ed at 20Vrms with an input sensitivity adjust so should be able to handle anything. I hate to splice into the wiring right now to add the DSP, I would prefer mating connectors which may be difficult to find.

That theory may work, but I am not sure that its analog to the rear amp from the head unit, from what I am seeing in the schematic its digital. The cambus in this vehicle is really complex and also really sensitive. The out from the amp is obviously analog, and I know there is a voltage threshold on the 3sixty, not sure what the head unit puts out, but its a a pretty small bundle, so my guess would be digital into the buss and back to the amp.

I have not had any BT issues talking to my Rockford unit. The software application seems to only like XP, not even compatibility mode in Win7, so I just run a Virtual Machine with XP to run that application and it connects just fine. I have tried from a MacBook pro running an XP VM and from a good old Dell lattitude that has XP native. Not having to plug anything in and the amount of control you have with the BT interface is just amazing, I spent months fine tuning it and then shifted from MPEGs to FLAC and Rockbox and had to tune it again, luckily you can save the profiles and just load them back in.
Old 01-03-16, 05:13 PM
dominant
Driver School Candidate

Id like to take the 10" subwoofer out the rear dash and replace it with a 10" jl w7 subwoofer. Is that at all possible? Id also like to do so without loc hook up.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson amplify replacement