LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lowering Spring Choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 10:21 PM
lexuspower
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering Spring Choices

Thinking about lowering my LS460L but just a bit. It seems that Megan and Tanabe are the only ones I see but they are quite low. Since Im just looking for a small drop (1") is there any other brands out there..want to maintain factory ride...
For the people with Tanabe springs...is it quite low and how is the ride?

Can anyone recommend a place to get the springs installed in the OC/LA/IE California area?
Old 11-21-10, 09:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Tanabe NF210 is the only option we have for lowering springs right now. If you want to do coilovers we have 2 options from Megan Racing, and 1 from Bc racing. I have lowered many cars and the ideal thought in your mind is that you want to drop it and maintain factory ride. Frankly there is no way. The loss of suspension stroke will give you more of a bouncy and firm ride, the low profile tires will give you a little more vibration from the road, and finally the ultra high tire pressure required to run run a 30 and 25 series tire ( usually 40-45 psi ) will also create more vibration. There is a compromise to drop any car. You also have to be prepared for tire wear. With most summer tires my GS was getting 11-13k from a set of tires. I switched to Michellins and got about 20k but Michellin PS A/S plus are not available in the sizes I need for the LS. I can only imagine when you add 400-500 lbs of extra weight going from the GS to an LS is only going to make the tire wear situation even worse. The LS is no feather weight

The only way to really maintain as much factory ride quality is to lower an LS460l with the air suspension lowering module. I am noticing that of all of the dropped LS460's I have seen a majotrity are dropped with the air suspension module, then Tanabe springs, the the least common is coilovers. Seems like installing the coilovers in the LS is a big job. The rear seats have to be removed to reach the shock towers in the rear of the vehicle.

I personally keep going back and fourth about lowering the car. When I drive to and from work all I keep saying is WOW this car rides like a dream are you really going to screw it up with a big drop and coilovers. Then I come home and look at pics of the lowered LS460's that I have on my computer then I start dreaming of dropping the car. I know when I traded my dropped GS350 the plan was to drop the LS ASAP but I may delay a bit. My wife keeps begging me not to drop the car but then again when she first saw the car the first words out of her mouth was it needs to be dropped. LOL

Hope this helps. Just remember there is always a compromise when you do suspension work. I can easily imagine there being apprehension is dropping a car that has world class leading ride quality. The engineers at Lexus probably spent tens of millions of dollars designing and testing the perfect set up
The following 2 users liked this post by I8ABMR:
LexLuv8000 (09-18-22), swfla (09-18-22)
Old 11-21-10, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there are more coilovers. jic have coilovers for the ls460, and i *think* toms might have one
Old 11-21-10, 02:49 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i have had a few lowered cars in my day. I am dead set against lowering my non air SWB LS, but i will get that module when i upgrade to the LWB down the road..seems like the perfect combo. Also, i noticed that when the car is not moving, a non lowered car has the dreaded fender gap, but when actually driving, the car does lower down a bit from wind downforce..not a whole lot, but it don't look bad...so, i just think that when i drive my SWB lol..that module and the LWB air susp is a sweet setup and eliminates all the bs associated with springs, install, etc...more pimp for sure
Old 11-21-10, 05:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
there are more coilovers. jic have coilovers for the ls460, and i *think* toms might have one
I read somewhere on CL that JIC went bankrupt. Thats why I didnt include their setup.
Old 09-18-22, 06:42 AM
LexLuv8000
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus LS 460 lowering decision

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Tanabe NF210 is the only option we have for lowering springs right now. If you want to do coilovers we have 2 options from Megan Racing, and 1 from Bc racing. I have lowered many cars and the ideal thought in your mind is that you want to drop it and maintain factory ride. Frankly there is no way. The loss of suspension stroke will give you more of a bouncy and firm ride, the low profile tires will give you a little more vibration from the road, and finally the ultra high tire pressure required to run run a 30 and 25 series tire ( usually 40-45 psi ) will also create more vibration. There is a compromise to drop any car. You also have to be prepared for tire wear. With most summer tires my GS was getting 11-13k from a set of tires. I switched to Michellins and got about 20k but Michellin PS A/S plus are not available in the sizes I need for the LS. I can only imagine when you add 400-500 lbs of extra weight going from the GS to an LS is only going to make the tire wear situation even worse. The LS is no feather weight

The only way to really maintain as much factory ride quality is to lower an LS460l with the air suspension lowering module. I am noticing that of all of the dropped LS460's I have seen a majotrity are dropped with the air suspension module, then Tanabe springs, the the least common is coilovers. Seems like installing the coilovers in the LS is a big job. The rear seats have to be removed to reach the shock towers in the rear of the vehicle.

I personally keep going back and fourth about lowering the car. When I drive to and from work all I keep saying is WOW this car rides like a dream are you really going to screw it up with a big drop and coilovers. Then I come home and look at pics of the lowered LS460's that I have on my computer then I start dreaming of dropping the car. I know when I traded my dropped GS350 the plan was to drop the LS ASAP but I may delay a bit. My wife keeps begging me not to drop the car but then again when she first saw the car the first words out of her mouth was it needs to be dropped. LOL

Hope this helps. Just remember there is always a compromise when you do suspension work. I can easily imagine there being apprehension is dropping a car that has world class leading ride quality. The engineers at Lexus probably spent tens of millions of dollars designing and testing the perfect set up

hi thank you for the extensive advice on lowering the car. I have a situation where struts are required to be replaced on the front soon. Mileage is 190,000. Since you mentioned about compromise. I’m debating just put Megan springs to make the current struts last a little longer if not just replace with OEM spring coilover to air suspension. Do you think just replacing the springs will make my struts last a little longer? Or a better ride at least? If not would the air suspension on the front only make it lower a little? I am concerned about ride quality and I understand that you can’t obtain both. Please advise
Old 09-18-22, 09:01 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLuv8000
hi thank you for the extensive advice on lowering the car. I have a situation where struts are required to be replaced on the front soon. Mileage is 190,000. Since you mentioned about compromise. I’m debating just put Megan springs to make the current struts last a little longer if not just replace with OEM spring coilover to air suspension. Do you think just replacing the springs will make my struts last a little longer? Or a better ride at least? If not would the air suspension on the front only make it lower a little? I am concerned about ride quality and I understand that you can’t obtain both. Please advise
That’s A LOT of miles. IMHO Get new struts. Check all front C arms while you’re at it.

Changing to air suspension is also A LOT of work.
The following users liked this post:
LexLuv8000 (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 01:59 PM
LexLuv8000
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
That’s A LOT of miles. IMHO Get new struts. Check all front C arms while you’re at it.

Changing to air suspension is also A LOT of work.
on eBay air suspension is $700 and my mechanic can do it for $300 so if my current OEM is spring shock absorber air suspension on the front only is still ok right?
Old 09-18-22, 02:26 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 320 Posts

on eBay air suspension is $700 and my mechanic can do it for $300 so if my current OEM is spring shock absorber air suspension on the front only is still ok right?
Have a link to that air suspension? With air in front and rear OEM shocks, you may not get a favorable ride. Why not have air front & rear so you can adjust ride height all around? There are some members in the build section that have their LS aftermarket/custom bagged.
LexLuv8000 (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 05:03 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

uh…just change your struts, bro & call it a day.
LexLuv8000 (09-18-22)