LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Continental DWS Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 12:56 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Continental DWS Tires

FYI These tires will cause the LS 460 to 'drift' or 'pull' to the right. Their asymetrical design is the probable cause.

I chose these tires over the Michelin Sport A/S Plus because these tires have a better tread-life rating, handle better in the snow, are very quiet, handle very well on dry and wet roads and are cheaper.

I went through two sets of brand new tires and two alignments and couldn't correct the problem. I'm going to keep them because the ride, handling and tread-wear seem great, but for those of you that need perfection, these may not be the ones for you.

Last edited by jlawr; 08-05-10 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 10:50 AM
adammb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOOOOO. I just came on to find out how these tires were because the tire place is recommending them for the 20" rims I want to put on my LS. I was hoping they would work for the reasons you mentioned. Is it possible that it is an isolated condition with your car or have you done more research into these?
Old 08-05-10, 12:32 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

I am just as disappointed as you. I believe it is an incompatabili8ty of the tires with this model car.

I have 18" wheels, perhaps 20" will perform differently.

All I can say is if you try these tires and the car drifts to the right I don't think it is fixable. You would need to increase the left camber and decrease the right camber and keep both within 1 degree of each other. Camber is not adjustable on the LS 460 unless you change parts for $700. There is no guarantee it would work.

It might be covered under warranty if your car is less than 12 months old and has less than 12,000 miles.

My lesson learned -- stick to Michellin

Last edited by jlawr; 05-04-11 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 04:17 PM
vitieubao
10th Gear

I got Michelin Sport A/S Plus and still got the same issue, drift to the right due to camber -1 degree on the left front, -0.2 on the right front, I have a Toyota technician to align the cars couple times, decided to buy 2 parts from the TSB and replace them to the left front camber, could not fix the drift, I am hesitating to replace the parts on the right because I am not sure if it can fix the problem or just waste more money.
Old 08-05-10, 05:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the late model Lexus seem to drift. I don't believe it's the tires. I've used several tires on my two 3GS cars, all with the same issue. After a while it gets a lot better.
This didn't happen with my old 95 SC.
It's the car, not the tires.
Old 08-06-10, 05:47 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

I complained to my local Lexus dear that the car drifted to the right. They did an alignment and it still drifted. After the alignment, they put on a set of Michellin (don't know which model). I went with the tech for a test drive and the car drove straight as an arrow. Not even the least drift till a quarter of a mile.
Then they put my tires back on and we went for another test drive. The car drifted to the right again.
I must admit -- it seems like the tires.
Old 08-24-10, 04:41 PM
nptski
Driver School Candidate

Default Drift

Doggone it! I replaced my used up Bridgestones, which also drifted to the right with Michelin A/S Plus and the drift was very evident. I had the car aligned, no different, so I America's Tire took back the A/S Pluses and they recommended Continental DWS so I went with them. The drift is still there but less. They are not directional and the tread is cut at a slight angle on the outside. I have no idea if that is causing the issue, or if it is just the car. It is annoying but not a huge issue as long as it doesn't cause premature wear. I am getting very tired of making a career out of this. From the sound of other posters, it is an issue. Maybe I'll put a rudder on the car and just forget about it. Then maybe I'll get a Genesis for a little over half the cost of this car and be done with it...
Old 11-16-10, 06:25 AM
Boger74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nptski
Doggone it! I replaced my used up Bridgestones, which also drifted to the right with Michelin A/S Plus and the drift was very evident. I had the car aligned, no different, so I America's Tire took back the A/S Pluses and they recommended Continental DWS so I went with them. The drift is still there but less. They are not directional and the tread is cut at a slight angle on the outside. I have no idea if that is causing the issue, or if it is just the car. It is annoying but not a huge issue as long as it doesn't cause premature wear. I am getting very tired of making a career out of this. From the sound of other posters, it is an issue. Maybe I'll put a rudder on the car and just forget about it. Then maybe I'll get a Genesis for a little over half the cost of this car and be done with it...
I'm also interested in getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. Can you give us your impressions about the new set and how you compare the new tires to Bridgestones EL42? Noise, comfort, road feel, ...etc
Old 11-16-10, 08:32 AM
JKN2000
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the drift to the right. It was quite evident and gave horrible wear on the old Bridgestones EL42. I now have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, drift the right still there, but not as much.. I've had it checked several times and still get the pull to the right.. I just learned to live with it
Old 11-16-10, 10:07 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

For what it is worth, I have the Conti DWS's on my 07 GS350 and I do not experience any drifting whatsoever.

This may sound stupid, but have you checked to see if the tire's air pressure is the same on all 4 wheels? Also, those LS's that have the air suspension, is there any way to check to see that the car is leveled?? If the air bag, lets say on the right front, is a 1/4 inch lower than the left, would this cause, or accentuate the drifting you are experiencing?
Old 11-16-10, 08:55 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Continental ExtremeContact DWS will cause a drift to the right because they are an asymetrical tread design. Since there is no Camber adjustment on the LS, there's nothing you can do to fix it. The only exception is if you have less than 20,000 miles (or 12 months) on the car. Then TSIB L-SB-0035-08 (see attached file) will apply at no charge -- otherwise the cost is $700-$800.00 for the parts to be installed to correct the camber issue. Since most OEM tires last at least 20k miles when new -- you're screwed before you know it.

I've had the drift-to-the-right for about 5k miles on my DWS Tires. It's annoying, but since my alignment is dead on correct (I had it checked at two reliable places), there is no uneven tire wear (I've checked). It's just annoying when on a long leisurely drive on the highway.

The upside is, these tires offer the best mileage warranty (50k miles) and snow and wet traction of any A/S tire you can get for the LS 460. Although I'm not entirely happy with the alignment limitations of my LS, the ride and handling on any road, in any weather is surperb with these tires.

IMHO, the next best runner up would be the Michelin Sport A/S, although they have been reported to drift too...or the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity (which is also asymetrical).

Only way around this issue is to use symetrical tread tires like the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. I've tried these tires and they do not drift.
Attached Files
Old 11-17-10, 03:55 AM
Boger74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlawr
Continental ExtremeContact DWS will cause a drift to the right because they are an asymetrical tread design. Since there is no Camber adjustment on the LS, there's nothing you can do to fix it. The only exception is if you have less than 20,000 miles (or 12 months) on the car. Then TSIB L-SB-0035-08 (see attached file) will apply at no charge -- otherwise the cost is $700-$800.00 for the parts to be installed to correct the camber issue. Since most OEM tires last at least 20k miles when new -- you're screwed before you know it.

I've had the drift-to-the-right for about 5k miles on my DWS Tires. It's annoying, but since my alignment is dead on correct (I had it checked at two reliable places), there is no uneven tire wear (I've checked). It's just annoying when on a long leisurely drive on the highway.

The upside is, these tires offer the best mileage warranty (50k miles) and snow and wet traction of any A/S tire you can get for the LS 460. Although I'm not entirely happy with the alignment limitations of my LS, the ride and handling on any road, in any weather is surperb with these tires.

IMHO, the next best runner up would be the Michelin Sport A/S, although they have been reported to drift too...or the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity (which is also asymetrical).

Only way around this issue is to use symetrical tread tires like the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. I've tried these tires and they do not drift.
TSIB L-SB-0035-08 applies to 2007-08. Mine is '09 AWD does mean I should be fine?
Old 11-17-10, 06:59 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I know that there are some reports the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S tires drift as well? Are they asymetrical?

I'm getting ready to replace the original tires at 15,000 miles not because of tread life but because I can't stand them. I've never driven on tires that hydroplane as much as these - very unsafe.
Old 11-17-10, 07:27 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Again...its the car, not the tires.
Old 11-17-10, 07:36 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I thought jlawr had his dealership put on a set of Michelin tires after having the drift with the Conti's and they ran straight as an arrow. If that's the case then there are some tires that do not cause the car to drift.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS Tires