LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav system not as expected

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 01:41 PM
jc3103
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav system not as expected

Hi,
Not sure what to do first. Just bought a new LS 460. The salesman at the Lexus dealership got me all excited about the HDD recording all of my CD's. He was bragging that I could record as many as 200. I think that was the deciding factor for me to purchase the car. The salesman said it was very easy to record the cd's. I tried for hours to record, then finally called the salesman. He called me back and said he had bad news, that my car did not have the Mark Levinson package, and that the regular sound system with nav. would not record. He said he did not know this until now. I just recieved the survey from Lexus and am wondering what everyone else thinks I should do.
Attached Thumbnails Nav system not as expected-leftfront-ls430.jpg  

Last edited by jc3103; 03-23-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-12-08, 01:49 PM
Patric
Pole Position

I guess it depends on how important that feature is to you and whether or not you bought the car with the understanding it had Mark Levinson.

The Levinson system is an option and if you were charged for it then I would recommend you have them exchange the car for the one you paid for.

Your salesman doesn't sound very knowledgeable to be working for Lexus.

Pat
Old 03-12-08, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you really want the feature, thus needing the ML, you should talk to the GM and see if they can buy back the car. the salesman gave you wrong info
Old 03-12-08, 02:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, this case reminded me, we had a CL member go through the same thing, he ended up getting a new LS 460 SWB with the ML package:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318964

However, you probably should make sure that the HDD music functionality is what you really want, here is a thread that talks about loading CDs (I'm not sure how long it would take to load 200 CDs on there):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249314
Old 03-12-08, 02:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Tell the General Manager that if he doesn't swap your car out for one with the ML system, you will go to your State AG's Office, your local TV consumer reporter, Lexus corporate, and then your lawyer, in that order.

I guarantee you will be made right.
Old 03-12-08, 02:33 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Also be aware that you can only record RETAIL CD's to the hard drive. You can't copy DVD's or MP3's to the hard drive.

IMO, this really limits the usefullness of the HDD.

If you have lots of MP3's or WMA's with at leat a 256 bit rate, the hard drive will be of no value to you, just play the music from CD's
Old 03-12-08, 02:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jlawr
Also be aware that you can only record RETAIL CD's to the hard drive. You can't copy DVD's or MP3's to the hard drive.

IMO, this really limits the usefullness of the HDD.

If you have lots of MP3's or WMA's with at leat a 256 bit rate, the hard drive will be of no value to you, just play the music from CD's
hee, technically doesn't have to be "retail" cd. as long as it's audio cd format the system will take it and rip the songs off

but yes, i agree it's a pretty silly setup.
Old 03-12-08, 03:26 PM
jc3103
Rookie

I guess the HDD is not really a big issue for me, however I just don't like the idea that the salesman sold me on it, then I didn't even have it. This is my third LS and a dealer never did this before. Not sure if I should pursue it or not.
Old 03-12-08, 03:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

JC, definitely pursue it. Obviously it is something important to you. I know I wouldn't let it go, but that's just me.
Old 03-12-08, 03:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in that case, i'd talk to the GM regardless and see what they'd do.
Old 03-12-08, 05:47 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree....I'd be pretty annoyed if if was told about the HD system and didn't have it. When I heard there were new "packages" being sent out, my first question was whether the HD came with the non-ML music system (the lower cost package, of course). My sales person told me correctly, that you had to have the ML system to get the HD. The bummer part about that was that I had to get the package that also contained the Parking Guidance System (parrallel parking system) and the Lexus Link. Again, this is the brand new package being shipped. Just 2 months ago you wouldn't have had these packages. Anyway, I did want the HD system so I went with the Parking System and Lexus Link. I'd definitely take it up with the GM.

As for the loading of the CDs....I tried it this morning and was amazed at how fast it burns the music. You can choose an option which downloads the music at a faster speed. I burned 4 today just driving between locations. So far....pretty cool system.
Old 03-12-08, 05:49 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get an IPOD. I don't even use CD's anymore...
Old 03-12-08, 06:21 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, I love toys, too, but jlawr is right - just burn some MP3's onto CD's and you have all the tunes you can handle. Since you can't record MP3's to the HDD, I don't even use it.

BTW - I find that anything over 192 kbps bit rate is a waste of disc space. I've yet to find anyone who can truly tell the difference between 192 and 256, especially in a moving car! And at a 192 bit rate and using 6-disc changer, you will have hundreds of tunes on tap.

Old 03-12-08, 06:41 PM
jc3103
Rookie

Well I guess the concensious is to talk to the GM and see what happens. My salesman was to have him call me today, however I bet he doesn't call. I am in the middle of filling out my survey from Lexus. I think I will put it on hold for a few days. Don't know if it really makes a difference anyway. I will see what I can do and will post the outcome.
Old 03-12-08, 07:08 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a ton of MP3 music....but also have many CDs purchased over the years. The last CD I purchased was...well...can't even remember, but my wife did get me the latest Eagles CD at Christmas so that is already burned to the HD. At least that won't be taking up space of CDs with MP3. I certainly agree with the fact that not many CDs are being bought, but I would think most would have some CDs laying around. I've got some Beatles, Clapton, Joel, and Sting ready to be burned for access whenever I want it. So for me, pretty cool deal.

Quick Reply: Nav system not as expected