LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Radar cruise, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 01:08 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radar cruise, etc.

I decided to start a new thread since it was getting off topic below ("I say this about that").

Personally, i think that the radar cruise control is now a must have option for me. I know Mike TX disagrees, I actually see it as a safety feature as opposed to a safety deterrent. Let's face it. We all some times get distracted when we drive. With this feature activated, it may prevent an accident. Obviously, this is not to say that you should stop paying close attention at all times when radar cruise is on. I always have my right foot ready to step on the break just in case. But I find that it is much less tiring with this potion on long trips.

As far as the the lane assist option is concerned, I wish that Lexus had this available here. I think that would also be a good safety feature. The fact that the Infiniti EX has this available will probably take some sales away from the RX. I am one of those that likes a car that can basically drive itself

What does everyone else think?
Old 03-04-08, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaa, to me? i hardly ever touch the cruise control. in fact, i skipped that whole part in the user manual. i prefer to accelerate and brake myself that helps me to enjoy driving more
Old 03-04-08, 02:18 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I couldn't disagree more!!!

I just traded in my M35 that had both those features on it. At first I was very enamoured with these options, but after 3 years I found the lane change chirp very annoying (when it was working). Oftentimes it would error itself out and stop working & I'd have to restart the car to reset the system. The system sounded off everytime you went just off center of your lane.

As for the adaptive cruise control, it would jam on the brakes whenever it thought the car was too close to the following vehicle. This would be especially bad when changing lanes and the car in front of you wasn't far enough away. I finally discovered how to override the system, but that was two weeks before I got my LS.

Just my $.02.

KB
Old 03-04-08, 02:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

When I test drove an Infiniti Q45 a couple years ago with radar cruise control I swore I would never buy another car without it. What was going to be a couple mile test drive turned into about 50 miles as I was so enamored with the system. Fortunately the Sales Manager knew me and knew I didn't abscond with the car!

No LS460 was shipped to a snowbelt state with the Pre-Collision System, so I had to special order my car. I was told the reason was snow and ice could obstruct the radar (duuuuuh, who uses cruise control in a snowstorm?!)

Apparently the Lexus system is more advanced than the system in the M35. If I am on a 4 lane divided highway and pull into the left lane immediately after a faster car passes me, even though he is closer to me than the slower car in the right lane, the system will recognize that the distance between me and the left lane car is increasing, so it will continue to accelerate to my set speed.

I have heard the same thing KB said about the lane departure system being annoying. Many years ago in a previous life I regularly drove long hours into the night. I would have given my right arm for such a system, but today I don't need it.
Old 03-04-08, 03:06 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To each his own, Patsox ... but I'll say this: in my 45 years of driving, I don't remember a single time while using cruise control that I've run up on someone unexpectedly or dangerously. IOW, radar cruise would never have kicked in as a safety measure for me. And I use cruise every day.

But while test-driving cars with so-called "intelligent" cruise control, it's proven to be more of a nuisance, since it can't think or reason or understand what the situation is ... it simply shuts down and brakes when a certain distance isn't maintained, no matter what the driver intends. For me, that's unacceptable, since it means a big chunk of driver control has been taken from me by a dumb computer chip. But if you like it, that's fine.

As for the Infiniti lane departure warning system (and the even worse lane departure control), it's such a pain that almost everyone on the Infiniti forums says they turn it off after the first week or so. The reason is that it sounds off everytime it "sees" a lane divider ... and it doesn't distinguish between a lane marker that you've drifted across because you're asleep and a marker you're crossing because of road construction, or lane markings that have been changed but still show through, or even stripes painted at intersections for crosswalks or school zones. All kinds of things cause it to "false alarm".

And the new system that actually applies brakes to pull you back into "your" lane, all I can say is wow ... I expect to see all kinds of lawsuits with that one, since it can actually cause accidents.

I guess my point is that as good as some of these things might sound in theory, in practice they're not always quite so useful. I love technology, but only if it actually helps me.

Old 03-04-08, 03:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

But while test-driving cars with so-called "intelligent" cruise control, it's proven to be more of a nuisance, since it can't think or reason or understand what the situation is ... it simply shuts down and brakes when a certain distance isn't maintained, no matter what the driver intends. For me, that's unacceptable, since it means a big chunk of driver control has been taken from me by a dumb computer chip.

Mike, you need to demo the Lexus Pre-Collision System. Its smarter than 99% of the average drivers out there!
Old 03-04-08, 03:57 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kbinfl
I just traded in my M35 that had both those features on it. At first I was very enamoured with these options, but after 3 years I found the lane change chirp very annoying (when it was working). Oftentimes it would error itself out and stop working & I'd have to restart the car to reset the system. The system sounded off everytime you went just off center of your lane.

As for the adaptive cruise control, it would jam on the brakes whenever it thought the car was too close to the following vehicle. This would be especially bad when changing lanes and the car in front of you wasn't far enough away. I finally discovered how to override the system, but that was two weeks before I got my LS.

Just my $.02.

KB
I don't know anything about the radar cruise or lane assist features on the Infiniti. However, all I can tell you is that the radar cruise on the LS460L works perfectly. As I said above, I will not buy another car without the radar cruise.
Old 03-05-08, 12:24 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Originally Posted by kbinfl

KB

I have had the experience of using adaptive cruise control in both the 2005 LS430, the 2007 LS460L, and the Caddy STS. By far, the LS460 Adaptive Cruise control is functioning the best and is a vast improvement over the 2005 version. It is so smooth in its operation that sometimes one doesn't realize that they are being totally controlled by the car in front at a much slower speed than the available speed limit. Unliked the Caddy which seems to wait too long., the LS slows down at an appropriate distance from a stopped car and continues slow down until it gets to 25 mph. I think it is a great feature and a great safety device when used appropriately.
Old 03-05-08, 11:48 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Barrynsh, we are in total agreement.
Old 03-05-08, 06:03 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in terms of technology and safety, radar cruise all the way - heck we might as well just work on making what they have in I Robot and have the cars go 230 mph all controlled by computers and tracks

in terms of driving, lane changing and accelerating and braking are things that should be left to human intuition, and enjoyment
Old 03-10-08, 07:08 AM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

anyone know if we can get this as a dealer install option??? believe it or not, but i actually have the radar cruise standard on my Sienna minivan (40K) and not on my LS460(70K)!?
Old 03-10-08, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tennisstar
anyone know if we can get this as a dealer install option??? believe it or not, but i actually have the radar cruise standard on my Sienna minivan (40K) and not on my LS460(70K)!?
i highly doubt it can be a dealer installed option. your sienna is close to top of the line sienna, but your ls460 isn't. that's the difference
Old 03-10-08, 01:01 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i highly doubt it can be a dealer installed option. your sienna is close to top of the line sienna, but your ls460 isn't. that's the difference
pretty much figured that.....just hoping maybe possible....