LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Broken Valve Spring Problems on LS-460

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 11:18 AM
LSGuyPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Valve Spring Problems on LS-460

I am curious how many incidents have been seen with broken valve springs on 2007-8 LS-460s.

I have a 2008 LS-460 with 1250 miles (only 4 weeks old). Driving down the road the car suddenly began lurching uncontrollably and all the gauges (anti-skid, check engine and ! indicator) lit up and the car barely idled. The dealer had me drive it 5 miles to the dealership and they found it was a broken valve spring. After a week they replaced the valve spring.

Needless to say I did not expect this after a month so I complained to Lexus that I think they need to replace the car. After meeting with a factory rep this morning they essentially told me that the repair was good enough and they would not do anything else. This is astonishing given the price of the car and almost new state.

I have since done research and am finding that there have been other occurences of broken valve springs in the 07-08 models.

Have others of you heard the same? I am suspicious that this is a bigger problem than Lexus wants to admit to avoid a costly recall.

After 10 years as a loyal Lexus owner I will never buy another one.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (09-18-20)
Old 02-12-08, 11:31 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to offend you, but let me ask you this - when does something breaking and then getting fixed rise to the level of completely replacing your car?

I mean, if a door handle breaks, is that enough to merit replacing your car? How about a hood hinge? Or a suspension component, or a rearview mirror or a water pump.

I'm sure you're unhappy your valve spring broke, and I would be, too, but things DO break. Lexus is responsible for fixing stuff that breaks by virtue of the warranty, and apparently they've done that. Why would you think they would just roll over and give you a whole new car because that valve spring broke?

Again, I'm not beating up on you, but IMO it's absurd to expect a whole new car just because something broke on your 1250-mile car. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Old 02-12-08, 12:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I think some one posted here months ago about his dad's car having some kind of major engine malfunction. In fact I think it happened as he was driving the car for the first time after picking it up at the dealer. I can't remember if it was a valve spring, but some one here will know.

I have to say I agree with Mike. I know its upsetting to have something break on a brand new car, but stuff happens. Now if the dealer didn't help you, or didn't do a proper repair that would be different.

Now that the car's fixed, enjoy it and fuggedaboudit.

And as far as "I will never buy another one" fortunately for MB their owners don't feel that way!
Old 02-12-08, 12:28 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGuyPA
I have since done research and am finding that there have been other occurences of broken valve springs in the 07-08 models.
Would you be so kind and share this research you've done, other than the single incident that was reported in this forum?

Originally Posted by LSGuyPA
After 10 years as a loyal Lexus owner I will never buy another one.
Sorry, no offense but that's a strange conclusion...

Last edited by Johnny; 02-12-08 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i believe there is another dave ES350Dave (something like that) brother. and then a lexus tech posted saying they have a case also.

if a conclusion is drawn from this that it's a "common" problem and lexus is "hiding" something? i don't know what to say. that sounds pretty off comments from upset emotion isn't it?

good luck with your car
Old 02-12-08, 02:03 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

Again, I'm not beating up on you, but IMO it's absurd to expect a whole new car just because something broke on your 1250-mile car. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Mike,

Picture it. He has a car he spent what near 80k on and it throws a rod at 1200 miles which is what i think also goes on when these springs fail like that. You'd throw a Texas fit

Let's hope he got a FREE extended warranty because, IMO and experiences, once they have done that they are never right after that, esp in his case, no flatbed sent to pickup his car so he's driving it for miles like that to get it to dealer.
Old 02-12-08, 02:22 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Mike,

Picture it. He has a car he spent what near 80k on and it throws a rod at 1200 miles which is what i think also goes on when these springs fail like that. You'd throw a Texas fit

Let's hope he got a FREE extended warranty because, IMO and experiences, once they have done that they are never right after that, esp in his case, no flatbed sent to pickup his car so he's driving it for miles like that to get it to dealer.
If it threw a rod, yes, but the OP says they replaced the spring and the car was fixed. Otherwise they'd probably be looking at a new engine block/piston/rod, etc.

BTW - a thrown rod isn't necessarily a consequence of a broken valve spring. If the secondary spring doesn't keep it out of harm's way (I think ours are double-wound), it would just float. Bang into the piston face a bit, perhaps, but that's not necessarily fatal.

If it blew the engine, I'm prepared to rethink my response, but if it was just a spring replacement and all is now well, my opinion is unchanged.

Old 02-12-08, 02:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i believe a recall would only result if there were more than the 3 cases reported on this website. seems like these are isolated cases as not all cars face the possible threat. now if more and more start to pop up, then yes, a recall would probably be lexus' next step
Old 02-13-08, 02:50 PM
rogersmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I'd do. I'd find a decent mechanic residing at a different dealership than the one that you currently use who knows the LS460. I'd research to find out what kinds of damage might occur from a broken valve spring. If this kind of failure only causes the engine to run poorly while the valve is broken, then I wouldn't worry about it. If however a broken valve spring could damage the head, the valve, or other major engine components, I'd push the issue, hiring a lawyer if need be. You need to do the research to find out if there are any long term ramifications to this malfunction.

The reality is that Lexus is just an ordinary car company just like Ford, Chevy or Nissan. They're out to keep the cost of this problem as small as possible. It's obvious that they don't care about their reputation, their integrity or their business ethics.

Best of luck,

Rog
Old 02-13-08, 03:42 PM
Nospinzone

If however a broken valve spring could damage the head, the valve, or other major engine components

No, no and no.
Old 02-13-08, 03:49 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 posts and all are anti-Lexus.
Old 02-14-08, 09:44 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersmith
The reality is that Lexus is just an ordinary car company just like Ford, Chevy or Nissan. They're out to keep the cost of this problem as small as possible. It's obvious that they don't care about their reputation, their integrity or their business ethics.

Best of luck,

Rog
You are most certainly wrong on this issue. I have been with this company for over 4 years. The first hand experience with customer service is outstanding. I dont usually cheerlead on this forum, but I just think your opinion about Lexus is wrong.

Back to the topic: I was the tech with the broken valve spring. I never posted the outcome of the problem, and I should probably keep it that way. I will say though, that the problem was WAY less severe than a broken valve spring, and was a simple fix.

Talking with product engineers and and FTS's, there are isolated problems with valve trains on the 4.6 V8, but nothing consistant.

Its unfortunate that you had a problem, but your vehicle still has a 7 years/70,000 mile powertrain warranty. If anything is going to to fail as to a result to this malfunction, its going to definitely happen within that time period.

I would not worry about it. My opinion is that the problem is resolved, and you still have a good company behind you if you have any other problems with your vehicle. Hopefully you will not, but keep in mind, humans built/designed the car. You still have a very outstand vehicle, just enjoy it.
Old 02-14-08, 11:32 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^ Best post so far...
Old 02-14-08, 02:32 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by Burnaby
^ Best post so far...

Ditto Burnaby!

Say Onepointon, have you read the thread by jlawr on the check engine light? I asked some questions there that you might be able to shed some light on.
Old 02-14-08, 03:49 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these " I will never buy from them again" attitudes. LOL They then go to the next thing and when it breaks " I will never buy from them again" , after a while you have to wonder if there is anything left to buy.LOL

The car malfunctioned, for gods sake ,it is not the end of the world and as for replacing the car, that is the most rediculus thing I have heard, what are warrentees for? Did you have to pay for the fix, "NO" so whats the problem? And if it happens again you won't have to pay for the fix again.

I had a suspension failure on my new LS 430 when I got it, had it fixed and it hasn't missed a beat since. Remember we are driving machines here and nothing is perfect.

Quick Reply: Broken Valve Spring Problems on LS-460