LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Broken Valve Spring Problems on LS-460

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 07:57 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LSGuyPA - for your convenience, I am repeating your original post:

I am curious how many incidents have been seen with broken valve springs on 2007-8 LS-460s.

I have a 2008 LS-460 with 1250 miles (only 4 weeks old). Driving down the road the car suddenly began lurching uncontrollably and all the gauges (anti-skid, check engine and ! indicator) lit up and the car barely idled. The dealer had me drive it 5 miles to the dealership and they found it was a broken valve spring. After a week they replaced the valve spring.

Needless to say I did not expect this after a month so I complained to Lexus that I think they need to replace the car. After meeting with a factory rep this morning they essentially told me that the repair was good enough and they would not do anything else. This is astonishing given the price of the car and almost new state.

I have since done research and am finding that there have been other occurences of broken valve springs in the 07-08 models.

Have others of you heard the same? I am suspicious that this is a bigger problem than Lexus wants to admit to avoid a costly recall.

After 10 years as a loyal Lexus owner I will never buy another one.
Now - based on what you said above,

1. Your problem was diagnosed as a broken valve spring.

2. Your defective valve spring was fixed.

3. You complained to Lexus that they should replace your car.

So - based on this thread, and the statements you yourself made, readers were led to believe you had a problem, it got fixed, and then you decided Lexus should give you a new car. That being the case, it's not hard to understand the reactions you got.

Now you tell us you had oily spark plugs and other issues, so maybe there IS more damage. Had that been disclosed in the beginning, you probably would have gotten more sympathy, but since we're just now hearing this, it's more understandable that you're miffed.

What I haven't seen yet is a report on how the car is doing now. Is it running properly? Is it making any funny noises? Is it burning oil? Is there water in the oil, or oil in the water? Is there any other reason to think the car has damage that hasn't been repaired?

Old 08-16-08, 04:46 PM
tvdias
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the Lexus mech who posts here doesn't seem to want to go here, My understanding is that this engine is an interference design.

This simply means that if the timing between the valve train and the crankshaft is not maintained, the valve can physically contact the top of the piston, resulting in major physical damage, including bent valve stems, damaged valve heads, piston damage, and assorted metal pieces floating around in the cylinder head.

At the very least, I would expect a full teardown and inspection of the head, the valve train, the piston top, and the cylinder walls on the cylinder in the bank that suffered the failure. An extension of the warranty would also be in order, if for no other reason than as a goodwill gesture.

After all, Lexus designed the engine with the full knowledge that this could happen, and a broken valve spring in a new engine certainly points to a parts problem.

Vern

Last edited by tvdias; 08-16-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-17-08, 09:58 AM
MythBuster
Driver

This is scary

I sympathize with the OP.

This kind of failure must not happen.

No one can say what kind of damage is likely to happen. I had a spring broke on a Nissan patrol, a tiny piece fall inside the cylinder and lead to catastrophic failure of the engine block.

I heard also it happened to others but with little consequences than I had.
This simply means that if the timing between the valve train and the crankshaft is not maintained
how can you not maintain the timing with electronics.

I think he has a material defect in the spring.

I don't know why the mechanic does not say more.
Old 02-02-09, 04:36 PM
Reps
Driver School Candidate

Default LS460failure posted by LSGuyPA

This is my first time visiting this forum. I found it by googling "Lexus valve spring." It is impressive.

Just like LSGuyPA's experience, I was driving my 2007 LS460L (42,000 miles), when all of a sudden it started shaking, and all kinds of emergency lights came on. I pulled over and called Lexus, and they had me call for a tow truck. That was two days ago, and they have just called me to tell me it has a broken valve spring. Since that is like speaking a foreign language to me, I am trying to do some research.

They said on the phone that they do not know what caused this to happen, but it sounds like there have been others with this problem. I have been driving the Lexus 400 series since 1997 (this is my third one), and this is the first time I have been stranded, which really concerns me. One of the reasons my husband has bought the Lexus for me is because of its dependability. If it had happened on a freeway, or on a less-well-traveled road at night, I would have been frantic.

This car has been in the shop in the two years I have owned it more than the others were in 10 years. They have had to make several attempts to correct wind noise, then several attempts to correct a noise in the brakes. I certainly expect to have minor problems, but to have a car have a major breakdown with no warning is not something I expected with a Lexus product.

I appreciated reading the comments from others concerning the possible problems that this broken valve spring may have caused.
Old 02-02-09, 04:53 PM
rueym
Driver

could this be related to the fuel rail needing to be replaced and something is wearing down with the fuel being chosen, leading to pieces wearing down the valve springs?
Old 02-03-09, 08:46 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rueym
could this be related to the fuel rail needing to be replaced and something is wearing down with the fuel being chosen, leading to pieces wearing down the valve springs?
No - the spring problem is unrelated to the fuel rail issue. The springs aren't exposed to the fuel anyway, so there's no connection.

Old 02-04-09, 09:45 AM
clambros
Driver

Personally, I find it interesting that a fix, for "hesitation on acceleration" is to replace the cylinder heads (which clearly includes the valve springs).

L-SB-0033-08 Rev1: 07-08 LS 460: Hesitation on Acceleration

It would be "interesting" to know if the folks who have had valve spring failures also fall into the affected VINs of this TSIB.

Coincidence ?? Who Knows ??
Old 02-10-09, 03:18 PM
sliu6122
Driver School Candidate

Default Broken Valve Spring

Originally Posted by LSGuyPA
I am curious how many incidents have been seen with broken valve springs on 2007-8 LS-460s.

I have a 2008 LS-460 with 1250 miles (only 4 weeks old). Driving down the road the car suddenly began lurching uncontrollably and all the gauges (anti-skid, check engine and ! indicator) lit up and the car barely idled. The dealer had me drive it 5 miles to the dealership and they found it was a broken valve spring. After a week they replaced the valve spring.

Needless to say I did not expect this after a month so I complained to Lexus that I think they need to replace the car. After meeting with a factory rep this morning they essentially told me that the repair was good enough and they would not do anything else. This is astonishing given the price of the car and almost new state.

I have since done research and am finding that there have been other occurences of broken valve springs in the 07-08 models.

Have others of you heard the same? I am suspicious that this is a bigger problem than Lexus wants to admit to avoid a costly recall.

I am glad someone posted this thread on the valve spring because i had this problem about 20k in with my car. I bought an 07 LS460 knowing that LEXUS was a reliable type a car compared to Benz or BMW or AUDI. So one day i was warming up my car and i went in my house to grab something. I came out and it sounded like my car was choking hard. I was like WTF.. all my check engines lines went on so i drove it to the dealer. My idleing was bouncing up and down from 2000 rpm to 1000 RPM. So the tech told me it was my valve spring that broke. It took a month for them to fix my car! When i saw my invoice it showed 08 engine that's pretty much been replaced.. a new head pistons etc etc. So i complained the the manager about this issue and he asked me if i leased or financed my car. He was hoping that i leased the car to give me another one however this was financed. So since they were working on my car for 1 month at least they cut me a check for pay for my monthly payment which was around 1k. Believe it or not im hitting close to the 40k marker and my car still feels like im having some kind of idleing problem even though they replaced all these engine parts. This is such BS because we bought their most expensive car and its not living to my expectations.
Old 02-19-09, 11:38 AM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

IMO, nothing is perfect. As long as they fix it very good, I can live it with.

Last edited by Vi-Tuyen; 02-19-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 02:25 AM
boogie123
Driver School Candidate

Default I

Originally Posted by LSGuyPA

do you have this problem again, or the new spring,s Fix the problem?
Old 02-22-18, 03:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Boogie. This is a nearly 10 year old thread. You're not likely to get an answer. LOL

did your car have the recall done? If so, you shouldn't have any further isues