LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Looks like even though some dealers are still clueless about this that Lexus corp is taking it very seriously and getting an approved fix together.

Mallory - that's pitiful about the scratches and trim pieces falling off.
Old 07-13-07, 10:23 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't expect a TSIB to be issued too soon. Think for one minute how many fixes need to be done with the US market total LS sales at 3,000 units +/- per month; don't know what the breakdown for the SWB vs LWB here. There's the rest of the world to contend with as well. Good but not great news yet. Maybe three months from now, we can say unequivocally that this one works, and I'm sure Lexus will be keeping their fingers crossed on this one. Sorry to hear about the sloppy re-assembly. Without sounding like an apologist for your dealer, they were probably un-prepared for a complex operation like this one, and Lexus didn't have a roadmap for them either.
Old 07-14-07, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I don't expect a TSIB to be issued too soon. Think for one minute how many fixes need to be done with the US market total LS sales at 3,000 units +/- per month; don't know what the breakdown for the SWB vs LWB here.
Well Lexus doesn't exactly broadcast the TSIBs - they only do it if the customer complains, so it's not like a recall, thus Lexus won't have to do this to all the LS's out there.
Old 07-14-07, 06:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I don't expect a TSIB to be issued too soon. Think for one minute how many fixes need to be done with the US market total LS sales at 3,000 units +/- per month; don't know what the breakdown for the SWB vs LWB here. There's the rest of the world to contend with as well. Good but not great news yet. Maybe three months from now, we can say unequivocally that this one works, and I'm sure Lexus will be keeping their fingers crossed on this one.
What is JP Lexus's attitude/knowledge regarding the wind noise fix, I suppose you have talked to them about it already ?
Old 07-14-07, 08:53 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
After it was exsplain to me that gas savings may suffer from this proceedure I opted not to have it done. The way the transmission operates is the way it was design to. It really dose not bother me so I will not be getting the transmission TSIB performed at this time.

I found this description of this TSIB at Tundrasolutions.com but do not have a subscription so could not open and read the detail.

"2007 model year LS 460/460L vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown.
Some 2007 model year LS 460 and 460L customers may complain about a condition where a hesitation or gear engagement bump feeling occurs when accelerating after being stopped in the Drive position for a few seconds. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) logic has been revised to improve this condition"

The important part to me is the reference to BEFORE, which is their caps not mine, which indicates that after whatever the VIN threshold it states that this update is not needed because it is already included in the car's software. I see this as a correction and would prefer that my car have all available corrections since I bought it at the first of Nov., 06 in my dealers first allocation and do not want to miss out on later arriving corrections via these TSIBs. There was no indication to me that this correction would have any material affect on gas mileage.

Last edited by hendjaz; 07-14-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 09:15 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have one of the first cars, you will need the software upgrade for the transmission. I have the same problem, my car was delivered in November as well...

Craig
Old 07-14-07, 11:45 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Robarapta
What is JP Lexus's attitude/knowledge regarding the wind noise fix, I suppose you have talked to them about it already ?
They give me that glassy eyed look. I mentioned all the TSIBs that are out there, and they stare in wonderment, "Really, are there that many out there?". So, no help there... Best to get great info here, and walk in with it. Service departments are slowly progressing towards the Hall of Redundancy.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well Lexus doesn't exactly broadcast the TSIBs.
I agree, and Service Departments are seldom aware of them either.
Old 07-14-07, 01:42 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

All they have to do is look them up on their computer. It's not like they're top secret...

Craig
Old 07-15-07, 06:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update Mallory, hopefully the positive effects of the wind noise repair will last.

And it's good that the cabin sound environment is now normal, so you can enjoy that fabulous stereo.
Old 07-15-07, 08:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

The sound before the wind noise repair was like a buffeting sound that came from the top front corners of both the driver and passenger side windows at times the sound was if air was being sucked into the windows.
Precisely what I'm hearing now, like the window is not fully closed (on both sides, front only)...
Old 07-16-07, 07:44 AM
thrang
Rookie

It has been pretty windy here more than I have notice since I have had this car. I have had my car back now for two days since the wind noise repair and I still say that I am not hearing what I heard before. The sound before the wind noise repair was like a buffeting sound that came from the top front corners of both the driver and passenger side windows at times the sound was if air was being sucked into the windows. With all the wind outside I can hear the wind passing over and around the car which is normal but I am not hearing anything at the top of the windows. I have also notice that the car seem to be more isolated from outside sounds, the cabin seem to be quieter.
One thing for sure the Surrond Sound is even more enjoyable now.
mallory

It looks like you deleted a bunch from your original post, which I happened to see in my instant email notification of this thread - you had noted something about additional benefits because of a tire change as well.

Were your tires changed as part of this fix? What are all the things stated as repaired on your service invoice?

Thanks

Greg
Old 07-17-07, 02:31 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

I thought we would see a few more reports on the wind noise repair.
My only complaint is that I am now trying to get some resolve for parts that were damaged during the repair.
If Lexus had installed this glass from the start just maybe we would not have to be dealing with door panel being taken apart.
The service rep is still not recommending the TSIB for the transmission so I doubt very seriously if they will perform it without somone demanding that it be done.

Last edited by Mallory H.; 07-18-07 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-17-07, 02:41 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm picking up my car either today or tomorrow, I'll post my report on this thread as soon as I drive it on the freeway. What's nice is that they will cover the tinting cost of the two front windows.
Old 07-17-07, 04:36 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I'm picking up my car either today or tomorrow, I'll post my report on this thread as soon as I drive it on the freeway. What's nice is that they will cover the tinting cost of the two front windows.
Please let me know if the alarm security warning lables are missing from your glass not that I can't live without them just wonder how long before Lexus realizes this little blunder.
Old 07-17-07, 05:08 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
really? is the dealer paying for it?

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)