Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
14
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
3
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
2
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
6
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
16
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

 
Old 04-30-08, 05:37 AM
  #856  
jmcraney
Moderator
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,733
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

I like your poll and you are very clever to set it up. But, I am not sure it is very meaningful. Probably the only people looking at this discussion are people with wind noise problems, or suspected wind noise problems, and voyeurs. It is kind of like fishing in a stocked pond and then saying the fish are biting in the river.
jmcraney is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 06:12 AM
  #857  
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver
 
Mike_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by jmcraney View Post
I like your poll and you are very clever to set it up. But, I am not sure it is very meaningful. Probably the only people looking at this discussion are people with wind noise problems, or suspected wind noise problems, and voyeurs. It is kind of like fishing in a stocked pond and then saying the fish are biting in the river.
LOL. I don't disagree. I was hoping that, by having it separate from this thread, it would get fresh looks. But I also understand why it was merged.

The other problem is that it we are a small sampling, and the results are not going to be statistically meaningful anyway.

I'd be in favor of removing the poll, since it doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Encore? Rominl? You have my permission to delete it.

.
.
Mike_TX is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 02:16 PM
  #858  
JKarger
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
LOL. I don't disagree. I was hoping that, by having it separate from this thread, it would get fresh looks. But I also understand why it was merged.

The other problem is that it we are a small sampling, and the results are not going to be statistically meaningful anyway.

I'd be in favor of removing the poll, since it doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Encore? Rominl? You have my permission to delete it.

.
.
Why is it that you are so against anyone having a problem with the wind noise? Most of your post are slamming people that have it saying that they don't understand that they dont have it is because there car is so queit. Can't you let the people that truely have a problem vent? I'm not understanding why you keep posting in a forum if you dont have a problem with your vehicle. I understand that you trully believe that it is only few people that have the problem but does that make it any less important? Add a poll take of the poll which is it? I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way it is just very frustrating when you post thing like this.
JKarger is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 02:49 PM
  #859  
Johnny
Lexus Champion
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BC
Posts: 2,728
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I sympathize with your post JKarger. I had the problem on my LS and it was fixed, so I really only look in here once in a while to see if there are any new developments or to clarify points or answer questions to posters who have become aware of the problem on their car. This is the problem when a tread runs as long as this one has - it develops a pair of legs. Trying to sift through the 850+ posts can be very challenging if not intimidating, even if the answer to their question is buried in here somewhere. So that leaves most readers wanting as they generally walk away especially if many of the recent posts are debates between some regulars. Jmcraney's findings have brought a fresh perspective to the problem, however I fear it too may get lost in the shuffle.
Johnny is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 04:31 PM
  #860  
Patric
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

As a former moderator of another automotive forum, we used to archive threads before they became this long but they and other topics were always available thru the (search) feature for those newer members who were looking for the same information. Use of the (search) feature was also made known to new members in the registration or forum guidelines area.

Another option might be to (sticky) the known fixes thus far and leave the rambling comment threads to the search function.

Unless Lexus comes up with a permanent fix to the issue allowing it to die on the vine, this thread could go on for years.


Pat
Patric is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 05:29 PM
  #861  
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 557
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by JKarger View Post
Why is it that you are so against anyone having a problem with the wind noise? Most of your post are slamming people that have it saying that they don't understand that they dont have it is because there car is so queit. Can't you let the people that truely have a problem vent? I'm not understanding why you keep posting in a forum if you dont have a problem with your vehicle. I understand that you trully believe that it is only few people that have the problem but does that make it any less important? Add a poll take of the poll which is it? I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way it is just very frustrating when you post thing like this.
JKarger, Mike_TX can certainly defend himself, but I don't understand why you are accusing him of "slamming people" that have the wind problem. Yes, there was some debate many months ago on whether or not there is a wind problem. But it has become VERY obvious for a long time now that some LS's absolutely have a wind noise problem. How has Mike_TX slammed people that have the problem? Everyone here cares about a proper fix to the wind noise problem, including Mike_TX. I believe you are out of line with your accusations.
PatsSoxfan is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 06:12 PM
  #862  
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver
 
Mike_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by JKarger View Post
Why is it that you are so against anyone having a problem with the wind noise? Most of your post are slamming people that have it saying that they don't understand that they dont have it is because there car is so queit. Can't you let the people that truely have a problem vent? I'm not understanding why you keep posting in a forum if you dont have a problem with your vehicle. I understand that you trully believe that it is only few people that have the problem but does that make it any less important? Add a poll take of the poll which is it? I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way it is just very frustrating when you post thing like this.
Thanks, PatsSox for replying - I've been gone all day and just got back.

Jkarger - I don't think you can find a single post where I've indicated I'm "against" anyone having a problem with wind noise. Nor have I "slammed" any LS460 owner who has the problem.

In fact, I've stated more than once that there apparently IS a problem (most likely with early build cars, and likely affecting only a fairly small percentage), and that I sympathized with anyone who has that problem. And God knows, the people with the problem have vented. And vented.

Actually, that's the reason I've posted that I don't have the problem ... if the thread were only about people with a problem, anyone coming to this forum looking for information on the LS would come away thinking ALL LS's have it, wouldn't they? And that would be very misleading. IOW, my posts are an attempt to bring balance to this issue.

The same goes for the poll. It was an attempt to figure out how many owners actually have the problem, so we can get a better handle on it. Trouble is (as I stated), it's really too small a sampling to be meaningful, and I actually did a poor job of setting it up in the first place, so I kinda regret doing it now.

Something to understand here is that internet forums are magnets for complaints. Someone has a problem of some sort, they seek out a place to b**** about it. Few posts are about how good something is. As a result, the issue takes on a life of its own and people reading the posts can get the wrong idea about the product.

You've somehow interpreted my efforts to shine the light on the other side of this issue as being negative, when they're actually positive comments about the car.

Do you have an LS460? Does it have a wind noise problem? I hope not.

.
.
Mike_TX is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 06:35 PM
  #863  
JKarger
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
Thanks, PatsSox for replying - I've been gone all day and just got back.

Jkarger - I don't think you can find a single post where I've indicated I'm "against" anyone having a problem with wind noise. Nor have I "slammed" any LS460 owner who has the problem.

In fact, I've stated more than once that there apparently IS a problem (most likely with early build cars, and likely affecting only a fairly small percentage), and that I sympathized with anyone who has that problem. And God knows, the people with the problem have vented. And vented.

Actually, that's the reason I've posted that I don't have the problem ... if the thread were only about people with a problem, anyone coming to this forum looking for information on the LS would come away thinking ALL LS's have it, wouldn't they? And that would be very misleading. IOW, my posts are an attempt to bring balance to this issue.

The same goes for the poll. It was an attempt to figure out how many owners actually have the problem, so we can get a better handle on it. Trouble is (as I stated), it's really too small a sampling to be meaningful, and I actually did a poor job of setting it up in the first place, so I kinda regret doing it now.

Something to understand here is that internet forums are magnets for complaints. Someone has a problem of some sort, they seek out a place to b**** about it. Few posts are about how good something is. As a result, the issue takes on a life of its own and people reading the posts can get the wrong idea about the product.

You've somehow interpreted my efforts to shine the light on the other side of this issue as being negative, when they're actually positive comments about the car.

Do you have an LS460? Does it have a wind noise problem? I hope not.

.
.
Yes, indeed I have a ls460l which I have talking with Lexus about from the beginning. They have told me yes they know that there is a problem but dont know how to fix it properly. I call them about once a month and they tell me the same thing they are working on it, sorry for the inconvience. Are they for real after I purchase a 86k car. Its been 9 months and nothing. Is this the way a client which buys a flagship car should be treated? Maybe its my frustration but it just concerns me.
JKarger is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 06:42 PM
  #864  
jmcraney
Moderator
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,733
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

Attention!!!!!

I had the wind noise problem - I fixed my car. bc07 had the wind noise problem and he fixed his car the same way I fixed mine - see his post #845. If you are not a DIYer you can get this done at a body-shop (Lexus probably will not do this for you yet but I am working on them)

You can try doing this as an intermediate step if you are afraid to mess with your car.

Go to Home Depot and get a roll of blue masking tape. Start your tape out on the chrome (forward) and lap it on to the glass (aft). Completely cover the triangle-trim. Use several strips of tape depending on the width and be sure to overlap on to the chrome all the way around. And use several plys, like 5 or 6, that way you will add some dampening in case there is flexure of the trim. Bandage that baby up like it has been a fight. Getting it off will be the same problem with 1 ply or many. Of course you have to keep in mind not to roll your window down while your have the tape on because that might cause problems. You probably know not to use the brown or tan masking tape because it will damage almost anything if it is left on even an hour if it is exposed to heating from the sun. You probably shouldn't leave the blue tape on very long either but it should be much easier to get off. Doing this at night or on a rainy day is even safer. And be sure to do both sides at the same time.

Don't forget to do both sides at the same time.

I think you will be amazed.
jmcraney is offline  
Old 04-30-08, 07:04 PM
  #865  
encore888
Lexus Champion
 
encore888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 8,694
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thank you for your contributions. As this thread has covered a lot of ground since 2007 until now, and as fellow members have pointed out is rather ungainly to sift through, this thread is now closed. A new thread is open here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=352398

The most recent posts from this month, regarding jmcraney's triangular fix, have been copied to that thread. Please continue discussion of the wind noise fix there. Thank you.
encore888 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: