LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 07:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Added multiple choice per OP's request. Note: 3 voters have voted so far, but the number of voters is reset.

Last edited by encore888; 04-27-08 at 07:40 PM. Reason: notice, OP requested poll edit
Old 04-27-08, 08:50 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Added multiple choice per OP's request. Note: 3 voters have voted so far, but the number of voters is reset.
Thanks again, Encore. The purpose of multiple choices is to allow people to answer - for example - that they have no wind noise per se, but do have the "swishing".

I realized after the fact that it may be confusing to deal with two issues with only one answer.

Old 04-28-08, 03:35 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

The question now is whether the swooshing sounds are normal or not. I was well aware of this wind noise issue when I trade in my 2004 LS430 on the LS460. So I listened to BOTH cars carefully and I don't believe the 460 has ANY MORE swooshing than the 430
Old 04-28-08, 08:00 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why on this poll you can pick more than one line. So far 11 people voted and 14 choices were made.

This poll is set up to skew the numbers. Why not yes or no?

I just don't get why people feel the need to answer a post that they are not experiencing problems with. Many people are experiencing the wind noise problem and yet for some bizarre reason people are responding saying their is no wind noise problem or it's only one or two cars that are effected. Makes me wonder if Lexus employees are responding.

Do you owners who are not experiencing the problem feel a real need to squash opinions of us who are experiencing it. Do you feel such a loyalty to the Lexus brand you feel it's your duty to help squash complaints. I've never seen anything like this on a car club board or motorcycle board.
Old 04-28-08, 10:24 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by garyr
Why on this poll you can pick more than one line. So far 11 people voted and 14 choices were made.

I just don't get why people feel the need to answer a post that they are not experiencing problems with. Many people are experiencing the wind noise problem and yet for some bizarre reason people are responding saying their is no wind noise problem or it's only one or two cars that are effected. Makes me wonder if Lexus employees are responding.

Do you owners who are not experiencing the problem feel a real need to squash opinions of us who are experiencing it. Do you feel such a loyalty to the Lexus brand you feel it's your duty to help squash complaints. I've never seen anything like this on a car club board or motorcycle board.
Gary, l honestly do not believe that anyone here is trying to squash opinions of folks that are experiencing wind noise. Hell, I am wondering myself if what I have is genuine wind noise or the so called "normal swishing sound" at times. I really believe that everyone here is trying to be helpful and trying to determine what the wind noise problem actually is. Unquestionably, some folks have a major wind noise problem. People like jmcraney and Mike TX are doing a tremendous service to all here.
Old 04-28-08, 11:20 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr

Thanks, Patsox, for helping explain.

To reiterate, no one's not trying to squash anything. I'm merely trying to figure out how many people actually have the problem, since if you search the thread, it's a relatively small number of people making most of the posts.

Where there is a problem, it's obviously a pain in the neck but as I've said in the main thread, the rest of us are scratching our heads wondering what the problem is.

So, rather than keep on beating it to death, I hope to get some kind of read on the % of owners who actually have a valid wind noise problem so we can get a handle on it.

The purpose of multiple answers is so people can make it clear (for instance) that they have no true wind noise problem, but do hear the swishing noises. Otherwise, they might feel they need to answer yes to wind noise just to cover the swishing issue. Hopefully, no one will answer that they do have wind noise and also that they don't have it (that would be pointless).

I probably should have made the last option to say "I have no wind noise but DO hear the swishing", but I had already posted the poll when that occurred to me.

Old 04-28-08, 01:02 PM
bc07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wind Noise

Jmcraney

I am a long time reader, first time poster. This is to thank you for all your research and for sharing your findings. I purchased one of the earliest LS 460models. It is in every way a great car with the exception of the wind noise problem. I have had both TSIB's done. The mirror fix did nothing while replacement of the front side windows with laminated glass did result in an improvement. It was still not equal to the wind noise level of my 2003 LS 400.

Your "fix" seemed the best explaination for the various levels of wind noise (or lack of it) experienced by many owners. I found that the upper corner of the plastic triangle peeled back quite easily. It was necessary to cut the double sided tape that held the triangle in place with an exacto knife but it came off quite easily. On examination the double sided tape had not sealed the guide holes or the "large" holes at the corners that you described. I sealed the corner holes with black silicone and beaded the perimeter as shown.

It worked! The car is now as silent as my earlier model. My wife and I both agree that there is a great improvement to the level of wind and cross wind noise at different levels of speed and at various velocities and angles of headwind. Thank you so much.
Old 04-28-08, 01:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Threads merged (Poll added to this thread)

The poll allows users to indicate the current status of their LS 460 with regards to wind noise issues, yes or no, and more normal occasional sounds.

Please note: this thread is welcome for all members, let's try to respect everyone's opinions.

And thanks to Jmcraney for posting about the triangular fix!
Old 04-29-08, 12:29 AM
topgun04
Driver

"Please note: this thread is welcome for all members, let's try to respect everyone's opinions."

I think it is bizzare to think that if someone don't have wind noise and express the opinion, somehow it squash the wind noise problem. So they should not speak up?? I am a prospective LS buyers (our 05 CLK 55 lease is up in 2 months. So far LS, E550, CLS550 and RX are the candidate for the next lease). Wind noise and handling are the two things that seem to be LS weak area. And if most people don't have wind noise (or have some kind of fix), I would be much more comfortable picking an LS if handling meet our needs. I would imagine Garyr has the wind problem and try to make it out as big an issue as he can. I felt for him (we had the first GS400 that is full of crappy problems inlcuding a set of new tires, alignment, 3 computer upgrade, a sudden electrical problem that shut down the car in the middle of freeway.. Somehow the dealer make the problem all tolerable. We kept the GS for 3 1/2 years and went on and leased more Lexus), but if it is not a pervasive problem then we should let that fact be known too..

Last edited by topgun04; 04-29-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 05:51 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

"topgun4" Please make sure you test drive 2008 LS before your concerns about handling get the better of you -- and drive it hard!

Although it is true that there is body roll and brake dive in the LS, those conditions don't seem to negatively affect handling or performance.

I got to push the limits of all three LS's last year at "Taste of Lexus." I mean I drove those cars hard -- and for every day driving each of them handled astoundlingly well. Even in what I consider "emergency maneuvers."

Personally I don't want the "road feel" of other cars. I like the serenity I get with my LS -- and I never feel unsafe or compromised in handling.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by jlawr; 04-29-08 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 10:53 AM
Stoks
Rookie

Originally Posted by jlawr
"topgun4" Please make sure you test drive 2008 LS before your concerns about handling get the better of you -- and drive it hard!

Although it is true that there is body roll and brake dive in the LS, those conditions don't seem to negatively affect handling or performance.

I got to push the limits of all three LS's last year at "Taste of Lexus." I mean I drove those cars hard -- and for every day driving each of them handled astoundlingly well. Even in what I consider "emergency maneuvers."

Personally I don't want the "road feel" of other cars. I like the serenity I get with my LS -- and I never feel unsafe or compromised in handling.

Just my opinion.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.

I've driven my LS plenty hard and I've never felt uncomfortable because of a feeling of lack of control or absence of "road feel". What the heck! Maybe I don't WANT to feel every pebble in the road.

This car does what it is intended to do very well...that is, provide a supremely comfortable environment for the driver and passengers.
Old 04-29-08, 11:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

true, the ls460 is very capable to handling. the road feel and roll might not be as desired, but the car is very good on handling. i pushed it before, it's amazing how i pulled away from others

regarding wind noise, i can't say say with solid numbers, but i highly doubt if most people experience it. more than likely only some people do. that's what i see at most dealerships
Old 04-29-08, 03:30 PM
topgun04
Driver

""topgun4" Please make sure you test drive 2008 LS before your concerns about handling get the better of you -- and drive it hard!"

I am looking forward to the test drive. We had 3 LS (91, 94 and 02) so I seriously doubt that I would be disappointed.. The only trouble is that the new car will be for my wife and she is get off the lease of a CLK 55 and she like to drive fast... I hope Lexus come up with better money factor and residual in the next couple month lol...
Old 04-29-08, 03:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun04
""topgun4" Please make sure you test drive 2008 LS before your concerns about handling get the better of you -- and drive it hard!"

I am looking forward to the test drive. We had 3 LS (91, 94 and 02) so I seriously doubt that I would be disappointed.. The only trouble is that the new car will be for my wife and she is get off the lease of a CLK 55 and she like to drive fast... I hope Lexus come up with better money factor and residual in the next couple month lol...
if she likes to drive fast, the ls460 won't disappoint her. the clk55 is still an NA engine, not the superchaged one, so the ls460 is still pretty close imho.
Old 04-30-08, 04:55 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Is this still the "Wind Noise" discussion? I posted a response yesterday that didn't make it on and the tone of the discussion seems to have changed to a different subject.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)