LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How many people enjoy the engine roar on hard accelerations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 03:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I experienced this downshift hesitation when my speed was 20-40 and I put the "Pedal to the Metal" trying to merge onto a highway or overpass a car.
That's the way it's been on all Lexus trannies. It's as if the software gets the 'pedal to the metal signal' and thinks "the driver can't REALLY want to go that fast, maybe they'll change their mind because I don't want to downshift 2 cogs and really make a lot of fuss and noise and mess up fuel economy!"

Often the tranny responds better with part throttle inputs instead of pedal to the metal. Another thing to do if you want better response is manually get it into a gear not so high. Lexus trannies will try to get to as high a gear as possible as quickly as possible to reduce noise and increase fuel economy at the expense of responsiveness.

Since they haven't addressed this issue in at least 8 years, I expect that they no interest in doing so.
I agree, well not at least with current constraints and priorities. A DSG transmission doesn't have this issue at all.
Old 06-24-07, 04:56 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In regards to "roar" come on, lets get real: This car has no roar. It's not supposed to. Roar is what you get form a cammed LS1 engine with GMMG exhaust and long tube headers. That's roar.

As of shifting hicups, yes it happens. The LS tranny is outstanding, it's the software that sucks.
Old 06-24-07, 06:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's the way it's been on all Lexus trannies.
Not mine... A rumbling Harley Davidson badged big engined Ford pickup truck with all the accessories and noise pulled into the third lane on my right this morning at a red light. There were parked cars in his lane about 300 feet ahead, and he was twitching and jerking to beat me to them as the cross light turned yellow. I thought, "You presumptuous snot"... I heard his engine roar as our light turned green; I didn't even bother turning the AC or VSA off. I floored it, and my LS came to life with no hesitation whatsoever; I was three car lengths ahead of him by the time we reached the parked cars, and still pulling away, but I could see he was still trying at which point I reduced my speed to the posted speed limit. Of course, he savored his loss by roaring by. Bet he won't take on an LS again.

Entering a highway ramp accelerating from 30-70 mph happens smoothly, and with noticeable aplomb, also with no hesitation. I'm waiting for it to happen, but I doubt it will.

On the other hand, there is a quirk in this trannie which I am monitoring and will keep you apprised of. From a dead stop going into a 90 degree turn starting off at high revs, and quickly releasing the throttle, the transmission locks up, and seems confused as though it can't figure out whether to shift down or shift up. So the gear set sticks hard until I increase the revs at which point it finds its gear. I'm sure this trannie's been tested to destruction, but something is causing it to stick. The condition is easy to replicate, but only happens infrequently in normal (?) driving. Lexus did not build this puppy, but I'm sure their partner (Aisin AW Co) who did, may not have anticipated every possible condition.
Old 06-24-07, 06:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
In regards to "roar" come on, lets get real:
OK, it's a loud purr...
Old 06-24-07, 06:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Not mine...
Your scenario from a dead stop is not where hesitation occurs. Nice win though.

Entering a highway ramp accelerating from 30-70 mph happens smoothly, and with noticeable aplomb, also with no hesitation.
That's not the scenario either. It when you're cruising at 30, 50, 70, whatever, so the tranny has already decided to go the highest gear possible without stalling (because that's how they're programmed), so rpms are VERY low, and you MASH the accelerator flat for whatever reason. Then it's like waking the engine out of hibernation.

On the other hand, there is a quirk in this trannie which I am monitoring and will keep you apprised of. From a dead stop going into a 90 degree turn starting off at high revs, and quickly releasing the throttle, the transmission locks up, and seems confused as though it can't figure out whether to shift down or shift up.
I imagine it's the VDIM/VSC/TC/ABCSOUP that's still trying to make sure you don't skid/spin even though you've taken your foot off the gas.

Lexus did not build this puppy, but I'm sure their partner (Aisin AW Co) who did, may not have anticipated every possible condition.
Well I expect they did, but there's very little information the car has to go on to predict what's next (it can't basically), so there's the 'punt' or do nothing options and wait for more data.
Old 06-24-07, 09:17 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it sounds more like indigestion.
Anyone that complains that it is too loud is a moron.