LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 09:38 PM
gshah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compatibility

Hello,
I have a 2013 Lexus LS 460 with a broken engine and I wanted to replace the engine with a preferably older engine ( so it's cheaper) but wanted to make sure the compatibility will be correct. Can anyone who knows about the engine compatibility give me some advice on what years i can use? The vehicle is rear-wheel drive. Is the engine block the same from 2007-2017?
Old 01-10-18, 01:48 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

First of all, wow, a 2013 with a blown engine? You'd probably be better off calling Lexus and seeing if they could help you out, I don't think I've read many posts of LS460 engine failure, never mind a newer one.

I'm pretty sure the heads are different in the older engines, but I think the block is basically the same. Could be wrong, don't take my word on it. But I know I've read that the heads were modified from the earlier models.

Although I've never had one single problem with my 07 engine, you might want to do some research, some people have complained about hesitation issues with the newer models, and some believe it's from valve guide wear. And there's been some stories of excessive oil consumption. Again I haven't experienced those issues, but with your car being a newer LS460?? I wouldn't want to worry about that stuff.
Old 01-10-18, 07:40 AM
gshah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
First of all, wow, a 2013 with a blown engine? You'd probably be better off calling Lexus and seeing if they could help you out, I don't think I've read many posts of LS460 engine failure, never mind a newer one.

I'm pretty sure the heads are different in the older engines, but I think the block is basically the same. Could be wrong, don't take my word on it. But I know I've read that the heads were modified from the earlier models.

Although I've never had one single problem with my 07 engine, you might want to do some research, some people have complained about hesitation issues with the newer models, and some believe it's from valve guide wear. And there's been some stories of excessive oil consumption. Again I haven't experienced those issues, but with your car being a newer LS460?? I wouldn't want to worry about that stuff.
Oooooh, this isn’t a normal car from the dealer haha. This is a salvage title flood vehice that basically has the engine rusted in place. We’ve tried to turn the engine manually but it just doesn’t work. So i’ve been considering buying a new engine all together.
Old 01-10-18, 09:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Are you sure the engine is truly seized? You're sure it's not just hydro-locked?

Fortunately, engines are relatively inexpensive and readily available on Ebay etc. Im not sure on MY differences between engines, but if it were me, I'd be inclined to stick with the same year just in case.
Old 01-10-18, 09:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Further to my previous post, it would appear that 2010-2016 model year are the same.
Old 01-10-18, 05:00 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Have you tried removing the plugs and pouring mystery oil into the cylinders and letting it sit overnight? Hell I'd drain it and fill the entire crankcase with mystery oil and let it sit for a while. I might even pull the valve covers off and spray PB Blaster where the valves go into the guides.

Remove the serpentine belt before you try to move the crank too...I've seen an engine get replaced because of a frozen alternator more than once.
Old 01-10-18, 05:11 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by gshah
Oooooh, this isn’t a normal car from the dealer haha. This is a salvage title flood vehice that basically has the engine rusted in place. We’ve tried to turn the engine manually but it just doesn’t work. So i’ve been considering buying a new engine all together.
I would love to know the deal you got and how I can get a deal like that. Please.