Suspension upgrade - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Suspension upgrade

Old 01-07-19, 06:02 PM
[email protected]
Rookie

Default Suspension upgrade

Before someone says it, I've been searching for hours and I'm confused, so I started a new thread.

I've got an '04 LS with leaky shocks so I'm looking to replace them but would like to improve the ride in terms of performance, I'm not looking for the right stance or a lower height, but I do understand to improve performance a drop in ride height is probably necessary.
I don't want to convert to air and I don't want to spend too much, about $1K complete will be my limit.

So, any advice for springs and struts to improve the handling without taking too much, or any at all of that beautiful LS ride I bought the car for in the first place?
I've got a new SL500 as a weekender and I love the compromise of that and really dislike getting back into the LS because it's so sloppy.

I want to be able to use the car, so no ultra low ride height issues that will make getting in and out of places or over things a nightmare.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
nadeaiu (01-11-19)
Old 01-07-19, 06:55 PM
bjo71
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, Id just install fresh kyb gr2s and call it a day. The LS is an old school luxobarge, not much out there.
Old 01-07-19, 07:18 PM
Peacebay
Driver

A lot of people here have done Tanabe NF210 springs, KYB GR2s, and an oem sport suspension rear sway bar.
Old 01-08-19, 08:01 PM
[email protected]
Rookie

Thanks heaps guys appreciate the replies, could anyone please point me to the oem rear sway upgrade?

I did see a few mentions of BC Racing coil overs, is that a setup that's good?
Old 01-08-19, 08:53 PM
Fish
Pole Position

I have a set of rsr coilovers for sale if youre interested.
Old 01-09-19, 12:58 AM
Bsavage
Driver School Candidate

BC ,KW or Fortune Auto Coilovers also with a higher spring rate just because the car is already heavy at almost 4000 lb

Last edited by Bsavage; 01-09-19 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 09:18 AM
Romanova
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks heaps guys appreciate the replies, could anyone please point me to the oem rear sway upgrade?

I did see a few mentions of BC Racing coil overs, is that a setup that's good?
Ugh, don't do the OEM Sport rear sway bar as it is only +1 mm over stock. Instead, go with the UR rear bar. I would do that along with fresh KYB shocks and call it a day.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-sway-bar.html
Old 01-09-19, 09:27 AM
gmoney94
Rookie

So skip the Tanabes? I'm considering this upgrade as well - but I was concerned that that the springs might throw something out of whack. Do springs ever go bad like shocks/struts, or do folks just replace them to go softer/firmer or adjust their ride height?
Old 01-09-19, 02:24 PM
[email protected]
Rookie

I'm sure springs get a little soft after millions of compression cycles, but I'm no engineer so can't say for sure, I do think that replacing them at, say, 100,000 miles and expecting a significant difference is probably a little much, I'm replacing them with a different height and rate to facilitate the ride I want.

I've enquired about a thicker sway bar and no one I've contacted makes them for the LS430, or any LS. They do LX, SC, GS etc.

Hey Fish, I really want new and I'm in Australia, so bit cumbersome to get heavy parts over here at a decent rate, but thanks for the offer!

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-09-19 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 12:13 AM
Aus430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm sure springs get a little soft after millions of compression cycles, but I'm no engineer so can't say for sure, I do think that replacing them at, say, 100,000 miles and expecting a significant difference is probably a little much, I'm replacing them with a different height and rate to facilitate the ride I want.

I've enquired about a thicker sway bar and no one I've contacted makes them for the LS430, or any LS. They do LX, SC, GS etc.

Hey Fish, I really want new and I'm in Australia, so bit cumbersome to get heavy parts over here at a decent rate, but thanks for the offer!
Hey Damien,

There is no difference between GR2's and Excel Gs according to KYB.

I think the part numbers are 341392 & 341393 - Google the part numbers to be 100% sure.

I found there was virtually no price difference to what I could get online delivered vs price from the local Repco store when I was looking late last year.

Cheers
Old 01-14-19, 07:37 PM
[email protected]
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aus430 View Post
Hey Damien,

There is no difference between GR2's and Excel Gs according to KYB.

I think the part numbers are 341392 & 341393 - Google the part numbers to be 100% sure.

I found there was virtually no price difference to what I could get online delivered vs price from the local Repco store when I was looking late last year.

Cheers

Hey thanks man

I've ordered a full set of BCR's and will add a thicker rear sway bar later if I feel the need. I'd like to do each mod separately to better understand how each modification is improving (or not) the ride comfort and handling. I'm assuming the BCR's will slightly decrease comfort but significantly increase performance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: