ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Suspension upgrade (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/908409-suspension-upgrade.html)

Damian@FI 01-07-19 05:02 PM

Suspension upgrade

Before someone says it, I've been searching for hours and I'm confused, so I started a new thread.

I've got an '04 LS with leaky shocks so I'm looking to replace them but would like to improve the ride in terms of performance, I'm not looking for the right stance or a lower height, but I do understand to improve performance a drop in ride height is probably necessary.
I don't want to convert to air and I don't want to spend too much, about $1K complete will be my limit.

So, any advice for springs and struts to improve the handling without taking too much, or any at all of that beautiful LS ride I bought the car for in the first place?
I've got a new SL500 as a weekender and I love the compromise of that and really dislike getting back into the LS because it's so sloppy.

I want to be able to use the car, so no ultra low ride height issues that will make getting in and out of places or over things a nightmare.

Thanks!

bjo71 01-07-19 05:55 PM

Honestly, I’d just install fresh kyb gr2’s and call it a day. The LS is an old school luxobarge, not much out there.

Peacebay 01-07-19 06:18 PM

A lot of people here have done Tanabe NF210 springs, KYB GR2s, and an oem sport suspension rear sway bar.

Damian@FI 01-08-19 07:01 PM

Thanks heaps guys appreciate the replies, could anyone please point me to the oem rear sway upgrade?

I did see a few mentions of BC Racing coil overs, is that a setup that's good?

Fish 01-08-19 07:53 PM

I have a set of rsr coilovers for sale if you’re interested.

Bsavage 01-08-19 11:58 PM

BC ,KW or Fortune Auto Coilovers also with a higher spring rate just because the car is already heavy at almost 4000 lb

Romanova 01-09-19 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Damian@FI (Post 10404162)
Thanks heaps guys appreciate the replies, could anyone please point me to the oem rear sway upgrade?

I did see a few mentions of BC Racing coil overs, is that a setup that's good?

Ugh, don't do the OEM Sport rear sway bar as it is only +1 mm over stock. Instead, go with the UR rear bar. I would do that along with fresh KYB shocks and call it a day.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-sway-bar.html

gmoney94 01-09-19 08:27 AM

So skip the Tanabes? I'm considering this upgrade as well - but I was concerned that that the springs might throw something out of whack. Do springs ever go bad like shocks/struts, or do folks just replace them to go softer/firmer or adjust their ride height?

Damian@FI 01-09-19 01:24 PM

I'm sure springs get a little soft after millions of compression cycles, but I'm no engineer so can't say for sure, I do think that replacing them at, say, 100,000 miles and expecting a significant difference is probably a little much, I'm replacing them with a different height and rate to facilitate the ride I want.

I've enquired about a thicker sway bar and no one I've contacted makes them for the LS430, or any LS. They do LX, SC, GS etc.

Hey Fish, I really want new and I'm in Australia, so bit cumbersome to get heavy parts over here at a decent rate, but thanks for the offer!

Aus430 01-11-19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Damian@FI (Post 10404825)
I'm sure springs get a little soft after millions of compression cycles, but I'm no engineer so can't say for sure, I do think that replacing them at, say, 100,000 miles and expecting a significant difference is probably a little much, I'm replacing them with a different height and rate to facilitate the ride I want.

I've enquired about a thicker sway bar and no one I've contacted makes them for the LS430, or any LS. They do LX, SC, GS etc.

Hey Fish, I really want new and I'm in Australia, so bit cumbersome to get heavy parts over here at a decent rate, but thanks for the offer!

Hey Damien,

There is no difference between GR2's and Excel Gs according to KYB.

I think the part numbers are 341392 & 341393 - Google the part numbers to be 100% sure.

I found there was virtually no price difference to what I could get online delivered vs price from the local Repco store when I was looking late last year.

Cheers

Damian@FI 01-14-19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Aus430 (Post 10407269)
Hey Damien,

There is no difference between GR2's and Excel Gs according to KYB.

I think the part numbers are 341392 & 341393 - Google the part numbers to be 100% sure.

I found there was virtually no price difference to what I could get online delivered vs price from the local Repco store when I was looking late last year.

Cheers

Hey thanks man :)

I've ordered a full set of BCR's and will add a thicker rear sway bar later if I feel the need. I'd like to do each mod separately to better understand how each modification is improving (or not) the ride comfort and handling. I'm assuming the BCR's will slightly decrease comfort but significantly increase performance.