LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

dash cam setup

Old 09-17-18, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default dash cam setup

that's "good enough" for me....I rarely have anyone sitting in the front pass. seat, so I tucked the cable under the visor, through the handle, and then tucked a piece under the pass door trim, so that it can drop down to the rear, and come back up front beside the seat. I now have 2 extra dash cams since my mom does not want the one I bought (feels she doesn't need it), and wife hesitant too (her car 12V is always on, so needs hard wire solution, haven't gotten to it yet). I might mount one in the rear, then plug the cable into the rear 12V--could have the front go here too, so key activates both.

Unfortunately with the offset rain sensor, there is just too much going on, and now my E-ZPass is mounted on the wrong side of the mirror. Oh well.....

Issue is the GPS unit twists from 9 to 12 o'clock. This means there is a minimum distance from the rain sensor, and also from the top edge. Those expensive solutions like BlackVue are sweet--makes sense to be slender, and thin, and have a connection from the side. Whatever lol my middle name is not moneybags, this will do for $89

Old 09-18-18, 06:35 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

nice. i never noticed that thing on the side of the rear view mirror housing. but i reached up and mine has one. what is that?
Old 09-18-18, 07:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It's a rain sensor, and if you look even more closely from the proper angle, it's got a wire running into it. I remember seeing it a decade ago and saying that's not good fit/finish (German cars have always enclosed any wires like that, like in a clamshell). Someone on the general forum stated no Lexus LS has ever had an exposed wire running anywhere near the rearview mirror. So I thought, hmmm...I probably imagined it. Then one day I walked up to my car and saw it!

p.s. now I truly realize the benefit of having a cam the shape of a cylinder, and the connections going in from the side. Those can really get close to the top edge, and not be conspicuous like mine...
Old 09-19-18, 02:04 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Wow, I didn't know that's a rain sensor. I thought mine was going up bc on auto it would sometimes swipe when not really needed. When I was reading about them people were mentioning some sort gel pad with the sensor. I just mounted my dash camera on that side.

Last edited by ebxgsxr; 09-20-18 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 04:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Well I had my E-ZPass to the right of the sensor, where I prefer it would be (and where instructions say to put it). But if I put it to the right of the cam, it's way off center and in the pass view. I suppose the idea is that these items should not be in the driver or pass view if possible. Today, I will test if the RFID tag works at the car wash, they like your E-ZPass to be on the opposite side as well. It's in the upper left corner of the glass. Tomorrow when I take the other car, I'm thinking about using a different cam and leaving the LS' cam in permanently (does a suction cup eventually lose suction and fall off lol). Only difference is the other cam does not have GPS which in reality doesn't matter. I don't want to take the cable back out and back and forth, it's neatly run just not permanent....
Old 09-20-18, 05:44 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Well I had my E-ZPass to the right of the sensor, where I prefer it would be (and where instructions say to put it). But if I put it to the right of the cam, it's way off center and in the pass view. I suppose the idea is that these items should not be in the driver or pass view if possible. Today, I will test if the RFID tag works at the car wash, they like your E-ZPass to be on the opposite side as well. It's in the upper left corner of the glass. Tomorrow when I take the other car, I'm thinking about using a different cam and leaving the LS' cam in permanently (does a suction cup eventually lose suction and fall off lol). Only difference is the other cam does not have GPS which in reality doesn't matter. I don't want to take the cable back out and back and forth, it's neatly run just not permanent....
Just a quick thought. I’ve had my EZ Pass mounted on the sunroof glass without issue for many years. Hated it on my windshield, so I tried the sunroof glass. No issues. I have since moved to Texas, and our tag is much smaller so it hides well behind the rear view mirror.
Old 09-20-18, 07:27 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

i had mine hardwired in. my mount attaches with double backed tape. i have a mount in my truck also, so i can swap it back and forth.

Old 09-21-18, 05:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I really do want hardwired, but for now, I actually leave the wire running around the back seat (tucked into the side door trim so it runs above the pass window), and do not take it back and forth. I have another wire so I use that in the other 2 cars by moving it around. I did buy a fuse tap kit--but plan to use this in my wife's GM, because her 12V is always on, so she would have to unplug and plug, which is a nuisance.

There was no issue with the car wash (RFID tag in upper left corner, and E-ZPass left of rearview). But I do hate the clutter now around the LS' rearview! That narrow BlackVue would be perfect...

The part I cannot yet envision, is how the wire gets from the fuse box up the A pillar...I'm sure it's apparent once I try to do it...
Old 09-21-18, 05:27 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Another electronic toy for what purpose?
Old 09-21-18, 06:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Another electronic toy for what purpose?
Exact same reason that my buddy's entire fleet has them recording both the road and when the drivers commit an infraction, and uploading to their cloud based system. Basically eliminates he said/she said, in the event of an accident or altercation.
Old 09-21-18, 05:27 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a dash cam also, mine is about half the size and is hidden behind the mirror. With the crazy drivers in the Dallas area, I know I will have proof in an accident. I used the cig fuse for power.