LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Engine Overheated

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 12:24 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Jdmenginesdirect on eBay was selling used engines for $900 with free shipping. I haven't bought one yet as I'm waiting for them to get a six speed transmission in stock so I can buy that and an engine for $1400 with free shipping. My '01 needs the engine and I'm pretty sure my '05 needs the transmission.
Just an FYI, the service manual says you must pull the engine and trans out as a unit so if you are getting shop quotes keep that in mind.
I also saw the JDM ad on eBay. What I am confused about is where the hell are they getting the Engines from with only 45K-65K miles on it. From Japan the website says!!... so are cars in Japan all dying at this mileage.
For LS-430 2005 do I just match the "3UZ-FE" to find the correct one?
How much confidence do you have in them that Engine actually only have 45K-65K miles and not 165K?
Did you find any other source?
Would you still change the timing belt and the water pump on it before putting it in?
Also did you price out the labor cost or are you doing it yourself?

Thanks

Last edited by LexInFL; 09-10-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 02:43 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

As far as the mileage claims go, I really doubt they are correct. Importers have been selling "low mile" takeout JDM engines for as long as I can remember. Their claims are based on a rumor that all cars had to have new engines installed at 30k miles to comply with emissions standards in Japan. That is not, and was never, true. Now, Japan is a small, densely populated country with efficient mass transit so I do believe that cars accumulate fewer miles over there.
That aside, you have to look at the LS430 (Toyota Celsior in Japan) differently than every other car in Japan. These cars are very large and expensive there. Most all of them sold there are used as executive transportation and chauffeur driven. This is why the UL models have all the amenities for the back seat and the models have extra seat controls accessible to the driver. Are they driven fewer miles? Absolutely. But they are also sitting idling for hours on end with the AC running while the driver waits for the executive to finish dinner, karaoke, etc. These engines may be low mile but they are certainly not low hour.
I priced out labor for the engine swap while I was living in Denver. A highly recommended Toyota/Lexus shop quoted me $2400 to do the swap their way (Regasket the entire engine, timing belt, and replace the transmission pump seal). They said around $1800 labor for a straight swap.
Now that I'm back in Phoenix I haven't priced it out but I assume it will be cheaper. There is a Lexus specific junk yard in town that will sell me a 80k takeout engine for $1200 if I give them my old engine. The wrecked car is onsite so I can verify the mileage.
As for compatibility, the '01-'06 engines are almost identical. The differences are the '01-'03 cars have different wiring for the knock sensors, throttle body, and the alternator than the '04-'06 versions. These parts are easily swappable with the engines out so either version will work. Most vendors don't know the difference so they lump them all together.
As for weather or not I'm doing the swap myself, I haven't decided. It's still well over 100 degrees daily here in Phoenix and I only have my driveway to work on. I have too many cars at my house and some of them need to go so I don't know if I'll fix the '01 or just sell it as is. I also have an '05 Sport, a '11 Mini, a '14 CX-5, a '00 GMC HD, and a '91 Camaro. For three people. Most likely I'll reengine the '01 for the 16 year old and at least sell the Mazda. If I do the engine swap myself I will document with lots of pics in case anyone wants to tackle it in the future.
Old 09-10-18, 03:49 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

As far as the mileage claims go, I really doubt they are correct. Importers have been selling "low mile" takeout JDM engines for as long as I can remember. Their claims are based on a rumor that all cars had to have new engines installed at 30k miles to comply with emissions standards in Japan. That is not, and was never, true. Now, Japan is a small, densely populated country with efficient mass transit so I do believe that cars accumulate fewer miles over there.
That aside, you have to look at the LS430 (Toyota Celsior in Japan) differently than every other car in Japan. These cars are very large and expensive there. Most all of them sold there are used as executive transportation and chauffeur driven. This is why the UL models have all the amenities for the back seat and the models have extra seat controls accessible to the driver. Are they driven fewer miles? Absolutely. But they are also sitting idling for hours on end with the AC running while the driver waits for the executive to finish dinner, karaoke, etc. These engines may be low mile but they are certainly not low hour.
I priced out labor for the engine swap while I was living in Denver. A highly recommended Toyota/Lexus shop quoted me $2400 to do the swap their way (Regasket the entire engine, timing belt, and replace the transmission pump seal). They said around $1800 labor for a straight swap.
Now that I'm back in Phoenix I haven't priced it out but I assume it will be cheaper. There is a Lexus specific junk yard in town that will sell me a 80k takeout engine for $1200 if I give them my old engine. The wrecked car is onsite so I can verify the mileage.
As for compatibility, the '01-'06 engines are almost identical. The differences are the '01-'03 cars have different wiring for the knock sensors, throttle body, and the alternator than the '04-'06 versions. These parts are easily swappable with the engines out so either version will work. Most vendors don't know the difference so they lump them all together.
As for weather or not I'm doing the swap myself, I haven't decided. It's still well over 100 degrees daily here in Phoenix and I only have my driveway to work on. I have too many cars at my house and some of them need to go so I don't know if I'll fix the '01 or just sell it as is. I also have an '05 Sport, a '11 Mini, a '14 CX-5, a '00 GMC HD, and a '91 Camaro. For three people. Most likely I'll reengine the '01 for the 16 year old and at least sell the Mazda. If I do the engine swap myself I will document with lots of pics in case anyone wants to tackle it in the future.
Thanks for all this valuable info 911LE.
I will also document my actions so it can help someone else in the future.

Last edited by LexInFL; 09-10-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Some sort of related food for thought....what does a Japanese expert suggest? For example, my trusted one that did my TB/WP, LCA bushings, rear output shaft seal, etc. Cousin's CR-V had whining noise, took it to them. In front of us and with us, thoroughly examined with road tests and vehicle drive wheels turning on lift. Conclusion? Transmission. Vehicle had 197k. The owner of the shop said his recommendation is to do nothing. The way it is, it could last 5 yrs., it could fail tomorrow. But he thought it will go for a while, so why spend the money? Stated if you want us to replace the tranny with used, it will be at least $2k. And we would only install one with 80k or less, preferably 60k, and that won't be easy to find on a 2006. He's the shop owner who stands to make money if work is done, and he is saying not to do anything. It's been 14 mos. of problem free driving (well starter was replaced by cousin and intake came out lol), with the tranny.

So again does an indie feel it's worth an engine swap, or not? They are the pros and if trusted, can give informed recommendations..
Old 09-11-18, 06:56 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Having lived in Japan, I can tell you it's not a rumor. It is true that cars at a certain age need an expensive inspection and many Japanese dump their cars prior to that age. Plus, they don't commute in their cars, and they tend to take very good care of them in any case. Very common to find ultra low mileage pristine examples of many models. I wouldn't hesitate to get a JDM engine from a reputable supplier.
Old 09-11-18, 08:29 AM
Yonny
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not spend 3000$ on fixing the car I would sell it for parts and if you have a place to store it, I would start taking it apart. You would get to know the car a lot better than ever before and make a really good decision on which LS430 get next, because I would get another one right away.
Old 09-11-18, 07:24 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Yonny
I would not spend 3000$ on fixing the car I would sell it for parts and if you have a place to store it, I would start taking it apart. You would get to know the car a lot better than ever before and make a really good decision on which LS430 get next, because I would get another one right away.

Why would you not spend $3000 fixing a $8000 car?
Old 09-11-18, 10:51 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by toddmorr
Having lived in Japan, I can tell you it's not a rumor. It is true that cars at a certain age need an expensive inspection and many Japanese dump their cars prior to that age. Plus, they don't commute in their cars, and they tend to take very good care of them in any case. Very common to find ultra low mileage pristine examples of many models. I wouldn't hesitate to get a JDM engine from a reputable supplier.
Thank you this was very helpful.
There few sellers on eBay with close to 100% Positive feedback.
I need 04-06 Engine (mine is 2005) to avoid any extra work but like 911LE said sometimes these seller just say 01-06. Example "JDM 01 02 03 04 05 06 TOYOTA 3UZ-FE ENGINE 4.3L V8 LS430 GS430 SC430 3UZ MOTOR"
I may have to call them.
Old 09-12-18, 05:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Up to the individual, probably because the $3k is no guarantee that it would be just like before...my concern would also be emissions. Does a Japanese motor hooked up to a Calif ECU and exhaust, pass emissions? They don't even test anymore, they simply go by the computer to show readiness and no faults. I don't think I would do it--I get it, our cars are worth way more than "Carfax" shows, to us. This is always the case if a vehicle is taken care of well. On my phone Carfax shows 2006 Lexus LS 430 $6,540, today's mileage 111,061 (I have 2500 less). I plan on driving it into the ground but would not spend $3k on a repair....my .02
Old 09-12-18, 05:26 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Sorry to be brutally blunt... If I were to go out shopping for a used 2005 LS430 today, I would based at least 90% of my buying decision on "reliability", given the car's 13 years of age. Judging by the fluids (motor oil and coolant, in this case), I would conclude that basic maintenance for this car has been severely neglected. I would further speculate that other mechanical systems and moving parts had been treated similarly, and suffered the same abuse.

LexInFL: My gut tells me that the $3,000 fix, in this case, would not be the end of a series of other failures to come. May I suggest to have a thorough inspection of your car to assess its overall health before you spent any money on it.
Old 09-12-18, 06:18 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Sorry to be brutally blunt... If I were to go out shopping for a used 2005 LS430 today, I would based at least 90% of my buying decision on "reliability", given the car's 13 years of age. Judging by the fluids (motor oil and coolant, in this case), I would conclude that basic maintenance for this car has been severely neglected. I would further speculate that other mechanical systems and moving parts had been treated similarly, and suffered the same abuse.

LexInFL: My gut tells me that the $3,000 fix, in this case, would not be the end of a series of other failures to come. May I suggest to have a thorough inspection of your car to assess its overall health before you spent any money on it.
Ahh ok I use that same mindset when looking at a possible used car to purchase makes sense now. Since you worded it like that I retract my statement and agree 100%. Who is to say he goes and replaces the motor and then the tranny blows up or rear end, so another vote for get a new car.

Also I would rather you gave it to me straight without dancing around with words if you couldn't tell by now I am pretty cut and dry kind a person haha.
Old 09-12-18, 01:54 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Also I would rather you gave it to me straight without dancing around with words if you couldn't tell by now I am pretty cut and dry kind a person haha.
I hear you ... Just trying to avoid being too opinionated (and step on your toes).
Old 09-12-18, 02:52 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Not worth paying a shop 3k imo, which is why I suggested if an auto tech class could do it.
Old 09-12-18, 02:54 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
I hear you ... Just trying to avoid being too opinionated (and step on your toes).
Good point. People perceive things differently. We should remember that people's PERCEPTIONS are their reality. When they think you are challenging their truths, they react negatively. We should all try to be a little more laid back when reading what people have typed. They're not trying to type a manuscript for publication!
Old 09-13-18, 10:21 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I just read the service manual procedure on engine removal. Apparently it's designed to come out the bottom of the car with the transmission and the front cradle assembly still attached. You then proceed to remove the transmission and cradle while on the bench. This method seems relatively easy but I would assume a lift would be required to get the body high enough for removal. Not really a job for on the driveway.

Quick Reply: Engine Overheated