LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installed Equipment code for Sport model?

Old 07-05-18, 08:50 AM
mainiac34
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Equipment code for Sport model?

Does anyone know the code for the sport model? I recently purchased a 2005 from a private source but it was also listed by a U/C dealer as a Sports model. A VIN check did not specify Sports model. It did come equipped from the factory with 18" wheels. Is there any other way to ID the sports model besides checking out the suspension? The car has a black grill. Is this indicative of a Sports model or do all 05s have black grills?
Old 07-05-18, 08:55 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sports model has little badges on the front quarter panels that says “sport suspension”. They have a larger sway bar in the rear. Thats it. I could be wrong but the struts are the same as regular. Someone correct me.
Old 07-05-18, 08:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

You could also contact Lexus and ask them to email you the build sheet for your car. That would indicate once and for all what it was, what was installed at the port, etc.
Old 07-05-18, 10:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

No black OEM grills that I've heard of.
Old 07-05-18, 12:25 PM
bradland

Received 647 Likes on 529 Posts

Rear sway as mentioned above is 1mm thicker. Struts and springs have different part numbers as well. Call a dealer and give them the VIN.
Old 07-05-18, 01:41 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Struts are different, springs are different, UCA are different (bushings), and rear sway bar is different. Easiest way is to measure the rear sway bar, if it's 14mm (IIRC), then it is the sport version and I would then assume the rest of the components are sport.
Old 07-07-18, 01:12 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Just for the sake of confirmation, the sport suspension came with slightly stiffer springs and bushings, thicker rear stabilizer/sway/anti-roll bar, and differently valved struts (increased rebound). Yes, the sport did come standard with the wider 245/45/18 tires on 18” rims, but those were an option on all 2004+ models without sport suspension. As Rush said, the sport models came with very discreet badging just behind the front tires that actually say “Euro Tuned Sport Suspension” and that’s going to be the easiest way to tell if it really is. I’ve never heard of a sport model that has had those badges removed. If you look at my signature, you can see where the badges are on my car - just above a strip of molding between the front tires and the front doors, and this is on both sides.

And as Jay said, a black grill was 100% definitely not a factory or even dealer installed option, at least as far as the original Lexus brochure has spelled out, as well as my 10+ years of being obsessed with and reading about these cars.

*edit: Lexus did not code options in the VIN, so without calling the dealer and having them look it up internally, you won’t know 100% for sure if the car doesn’t have the badges and you suspect it might be just about the only one that has had the badges removed.

Last edited by Mbodall; 07-07-18 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-07-18, 03:30 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't imagine why anyone would take the badges off.
Old 07-07-18, 04:45 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I can't imagine why anyone would take the badges off.
Me either... then again, some people do really like that ‘debadged’ look, so maybe if the car doesn’t have any badges on the rear/trunk area I might look into it... but if the car has all the rest of the badges but not the sport suspension badges, I’m 99.999999% sure it’s not sport
Old 07-08-18, 08:10 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Here is the easiest and surest way to tell. Register the vehicle on Lexus website. Select "Manage Vehicle," then "Vehicle Specification," then "Port or Factory Installed Equipment." You will then learn exactly how your vehicle was optioned when new.
Old 07-08-18, 09:09 PM
bradland

Apparently I'm driving a Unicorn...

Vehicle Specifications from Lexus.com

Port- Or Factory-Installed Equipment

PT Modern Luxury Package Includes
Factory
SK Smart Key
Factory
SP Sport Package 1 Includes
Factory

Z1 Preferred Accessory Package Trunk Mat, Cargo Net and Wheel Locks
Port
Old 07-09-18, 08:15 AM
TriC
Racer

Why do you say yours is a unicorn, bradland? Your option list appears to be fairly typical for a sport suspension LS 430.

Interestingly, when I click on your supplied link my own car comes up!
Old 07-09-18, 11:02 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by TriC
Why do you say yours is a unicorn, bradland? Your option list appears to be fairly typical for a sport suspension LS 430.

Interestingly, when I click on your supplied link my own car comes up!
Tongue in cheek mostly...
Apparently a Sport Suspension equipped car with no fender badges is extremely rare. I've mentioned it a few times in the past year and one member even went so far as telling me both my fenders must have been replaced! Both my fenders still have black VIN tags btw. Honestly I really don't care if the badges are present or not. I'm just happy to know which suspension parts to buy when the time comes...
Old 07-09-18, 11:18 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TriC
Why do you say yours is a unicorn, bradland?
Because his "unicorn" does not have the sport suspension badges behind the front wheels, but it is a sport model...

edit... didn't scroll down far enough to see that Bradland already replied...
Old 07-09-18, 02:17 PM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Tongue in cheek mostly...
Apparently a Sport Suspension equipped car with no fender badges is extremely rare. I've mentioned it a few times in the past year and one member even went so far as telling me both my fenders must have been replaced! Both my fenders still have black VIN tags btw. Honestly I really don't care if the badges are present or not. I'm just happy to know which suspension parts to buy when the time comes...
Thanks, your comment now makes sense! I wonder, though, whether those badges are bolted on or affixed with adhesive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Equipment code for Sport model?