LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Found a rather perplexing 2005 LS430.. Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 12:37 PM
swilli89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Found a rather perplexing 2005 LS430.. Advice needed

Hey all.. I'm finally about to get out from a 2011 328i that's been nothing but problems. My most favorite car of all time was a 240k mi 2002 LS430 that I gifted to a family member in a need a couple of years ago. So naturally I am looking to get back into the AWESOME LS430.

This time around I've been wanting to get the refreshed 04+ LS430 and I have found a very interesting but perplexing one.

First thing is all the VIN numbers on the body, inside the engine bay, on all the panels matches what's on the title and what's on the Carfax. HOWEVER.. the under the windshield front dash VIN isn't viewable. I can kinda see a Toyota sticker but its shifted or moved somehow and I can't see the VIN. What could cause this?

Second other weird thing.. Buyer supplied me with a Carfax that showed a Timing belt change at a local, fairly reputable shop. I pulled my own Carfax and lo and behold.. its not there. So.. I call the shop and ask them and yep.. they have a record of changing the timing belt! What in the hell.. Even more confusing.. the spot where you would expect a timing belt replacement stick on the radiator shroud has some furious scratch marks in the rough shape as a sticker. Almost like it was put there but then removed. But again, the shop who I have no reason to distrust, is saying they 100% did a new timing belt just one year ago. I've attached both the seller supplied Carfax showing a timing belt and the one I pulled straight from Carfax showing no timing belt.

I've extensively driven the car and beyond some brake shudder that I can probably fix with new rotors, and an obvious alignment issue the car seems very solid. Very slight wobble at 70+mph that I think is unbalanced wheels. There is a bit of noise like an extra whine or fast clicking that I am hearing.. sounds like a squeaky tensioner or pulley. Anyone have any experience with that? Sounds like its coming from the right side of the engine bay.

Overall car is clean, some minor common issues like the center armrest being loose and the driver side mirror motor not working, A/C seats not really effective etc none of which bothers me.
Old 03-21-18, 01:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I wouldn't go by carfax. On my BMW, none of the services in its entire life are on it, yet I have paper receipts. It would be preposterous for anyone to tell me I made up the receipts On my LS430, none of the 2 Lexus services are on it, and none of the indie either.
(
Get this--on my 1998 Nissan? Every repair is on it since 2001. Bizarre!

p.s. with BMW, the dealer can pull their internal service record, and it does show everything, I have a copy of mine up to 2010
Old 03-21-18, 01:58 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

There are lots of things that don't show up on Carfax reports although it is strange that 2 reports on the same car would vary as you described (presuming yours is dated later). Clearly, a receipt settles the question.

That the windshield VIN is virtually unreadable is not unusual even when it is in its normal place. It should not have moved as they are riveted in place at the factory. Are you sure it's moved and not merely hard to read?

The noise you've described could be just about anything.
Old 03-21-18, 02:08 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The best service records are kept by Lexus. My Lexus service records are 31 pages long because I have had all service done by my Lexus dealer except for tires and batteries, etc. You can also update the Lexus Service Records with items you have done yourself, such as tires, batteries, filters, wiper blades, carpet mats, etc.
Old 03-21-18, 02:27 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
There are lots of things that don't show up on Carfax reports although it is strange that 2 reports on the same car would vary as you described (presuming yours is dated later). Clearly, a receipt settles the question.

That the windshield VIN is virtually unreadable is not unusual even when it is in its normal place. It should not have moved as they are riveted in place at the factory. Are you sure it's moved and not merely hard to read?

The noise you've described could be just about anything.
Oh yeah on a poor windshield replacement, the window to show the VIN often will not line up properly....it's a quick and dirty clue that car people use to know that even with a factory logo, the glass was not installed well...
Old 03-21-18, 04:05 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm new to this forum but i've been bitten by the ls bug and so i think i'll be buying one soon as well. As far as the timing belt sticker: MAYBE they put the sticker on the old rad, changed the rad and tried to transfer the sticker to the new rad.
Old 03-21-18, 04:42 PM
swilli89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
I'm new to this forum but i've been bitten by the ls bug and so i think i'll be buying one soon as well. As far as the timing belt sticker: MAYBE they put the sticker on the old rad, changed the rad and tried to transfer the sticker to the new rad.
Very good point. I spoke to the shop owner in person today and they did indeed do the timing belt..

HOWEVER.. they said customer declined all the other options you would do along with the timing belt like the water pump and tensioner etc.. Odd to just have done the belt.
Old 03-21-18, 05:32 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That means cheap. Shame they didn’t do it all when they were in there. Slight risk on water pump, hardware and seals going forward. Just need to be aware might have a problem before timing belt is actually due.
Old 03-21-18, 06:11 PM
Satchmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I would pass on this one. That two different carfax thing is just too fishy for me. And the "engine remove to complete repair" what the hell?
Unless you need a set of wheels ASAP I would keep looking and be patient.
Old 03-21-18, 08:06 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pass. You know that if you buy it, you'll never be able to sell it if you needed to, right?
Old 03-21-18, 10:58 PM
swilli89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imdking
Pass. You know that if you buy it, you'll never be able to sell it if you needed to, right?
Why not? It's got the Vin plastered all over it.

Should there be a Vin on the engine itself?
Old 03-22-18, 03:39 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Old 03-22-18, 05:54 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

No VIN on the engine... only on the dash on the windshield and a label on the doors, hood and trunk lid that should all match. Missing the labels on any door means possible replacement with non OEM part and indicates a likely wreck. Also look for overspray on the vin labels as they might have left the part and just repaired it but allowed overspray on the label during the paint process.
Old 03-22-18, 10:37 AM
swilli89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
No VIN on the engine... only on the dash on the windshield and a label on the doors, hood and trunk lid that should all match. Missing the labels on any door means possible replacement with non OEM part and indicates a likely wreck. Also look for overspray on the vin labels as they might have left the part and just repaired it but allowed overspray on the label during the paint process.
Thanks for yours and everyone else's helpful comments.

I found authentic VIN tickets on both door panetls, inside both front fenders, and also a metal stamped (etched?) right above the engine, inside the engine bay. So I think it's all good from that standpoint.

As this is a 90% clean 2005 LS430 with 110K miles and the guy agreed to sell for $7,500 I think I am going to pull the trigger. I figure maybe $2,000 bank I may throw at it to get it all good on the suspension/alignment issues and probably redo the timing belt/accessories and I should be good to go for a while