LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Master Key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 05:21 AM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Master Key?

I drove my new 06 LS430 back home to Salt Lake from Portland yesterday. What fun. What a great car. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the Key. This car has Keyless entry. I only got one key fob with the car, and the car won't see the key so I can't open the car with the push button on the handle, or start the car without the key in the ignition.

I found a video about pushing the button under the dash, but that didn't do the trick. I have seen a couple of post about buying a new fob and having it programmed but I am not sure how to go about it since I am not familiar with the vendors.

What is the best way to go about getting a new for (I would like an extra one) that will work with the keyless entry?
Old 02-06-18, 05:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Can you lock/unlock the doors and the trunk by pushing the buttons on the fob? If not, I would replace the 2032 battery inside the fob. But be careful, I got 2 master fobs with my car, and 1/2 broke when I changed the batteries. This means my key will not stay locked/extended. But I use this one since I don't want the good one to break as well.

If you can lock/unlock the doors with the fob, and the handles do not work, I'd check for a non-functioning door actutator (this was my scenario). My .02...good luck
Old 02-06-18, 06:47 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

seems that its not programmed correctly, search and you'll find it here how to do it, I was searching about fobs and came across a thread on how to program it
Old 02-06-18, 07:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd change the battery. Easy enough to do for less than $5 and it might fix the problem. What have you got to lose?
Old 02-06-18, 08:07 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

As others have said, it could well be that the battery needs replacing. I just went through the same thing. Does your fob have a button to open the trunk? If so, it is a master key. If not, it is a valet key.
Old 02-06-18, 09:11 AM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriC
As others have said, it could well be that the battery needs replacing. I just went through the same thing. Does your fob have a button to open the trunk? If so, it is a master key. If not, it is a valet key.
Thank you... It does not have a button to open the trunk, so I must have a valet key. I just called the local Lexus dealer, and a lock smith. The dealer has it in stock, and the lock smith has to special order it. So I guess I will pay the extra 100 bucks to get it now..
Old 02-06-18, 12:49 PM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

So I went to the dealer, and they had the Master Key, but they said the right way to do this with the smart key option was to reprogram the ECU and keys while removing all the old keys from the system. That cost an extra hundred and fifty bucks, but I am ok with that. If that resets everything and gets me working, it is worth it.
Old 02-06-18, 03:26 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson430
So I went to the dealer, and they had the Master Key, but they said the right way to do this with the smart key option was to reprogram the ECU and keys while removing all the old keys from the system. That cost an extra hundred and fifty bucks, but I am ok with that. If that resets everything and gets me working, it is worth it.
That is not accurate, unless all the key slots are full. I added a master key to my car using Techstream. I did not have to erase anything when doing it as there were extra slots for more keys available. I can understand if they wanted to erased any old keys since you may not have the original master and they did not want to leave it enabled in the system.
Old 02-07-18, 10:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Legend
That is not accurate, unless all the key slots are full. I added a master key to my car using Techstream. I did not have to erase anything when doing it as there were extra slots for more keys available. I can understand if they wanted to erased any old keys since you may not have the original master and they did not want to leave it enabled in the system.
OP said dealer said "the right way." So I guess they suggest removing all traces of what was, and starting with new, rather than simply adding. I am missing a valet, am I really concerned with a previous owner coming and getting the car? No, hasn't happened in 1 1/3 yrs.

I suppose, it's like buying a house, very few people do not change the locks (rekey that is). Little do they realize that on the old locks there are like only 1024 possible combinations, not hard to open surreptitiously, so whether or not there are old copies floating around may not matter. After I lost our house keys for the 2nd time, I said F it I'm not paying a locksmith so I DIY'd. The locks were Schlage and parts went flying and my patience was wearing thin (also HD and Lowes do not sell a rekeying kit for old locks, nor do local locksmiths lol). I got it done in the end but was surprised how difficult. The beauty was it cost under $10 lol
Old 02-07-18, 03:13 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
OP said dealer said "the right way." So I guess they suggest removing all traces of what was, and starting with new, rather than simply adding. I am missing a valet, am I really concerned with a previous owner coming and getting the car? No, hasn't happened in 1 1/3 yrs.
Makes sense. I saw the comment about the right way and just read it as in order to program the new key they had to erase the rest. But in respect to safety I completely see why they would do that for the current owner of the car.
Old 02-07-18, 06:10 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson430
This car has Keyless entry. I only got one key fob with the car, and the car won't see the key so I can't open the car with the push button on the handle
Read your post and immediately saw your expected result, that isn't the correct expected result.

You said you "can't open the car with the push button on the handle", but the little black button on all the door handles are to LOCK the doors, not unlock. With the SmartAccess, if everything is good (battery in keyfob, system is on via button under dash by your right knee, etc, etc), with the key in your pocket, etc, when you walk up to the vehicle and place your hand inside the doorhandle to grab it, it unlocks the door(s). Again, the black button on the door handles are to LOCK the doors (when you have the SmartKey) in your pocket or hand, etc. Hope this helps!

PS---when the LS was new to me, I too thought the black button UNlocked the doors. This forum has provided a darn good education to me.
PPS---key has trunk unlock button = MASTER, key doesn't have trunk unlock button = VALET

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 02-07-18 at 06:12 PM. Reason: valet vs master
Old 02-08-18, 04:52 AM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LS430inDE.;10106562]Read your post and immediately saw your expected result, that isn't the correct expected result.

You said you "can't open the car with the push button on the handle", but the little black button on all the door handles are to LOCK the doors, not unlock. With the SmartAccess, if everything is good (battery in keyfob, system is on via button under dash by your right knee, etc, etc), with the key in your pocket, etc, when you walk up to the vehicle and place your hand inside the doorhandle to grab it, it unlocks the door(s). Again, the black button on the door handles are to LOCK the doors (when you have the SmartKey) in your pocket or hand, etc. Hope this helps!

LS430inDE - Thank you for the explanation - Our Nissan both locks and unlocks with the button, so I assumed the Lexus would also - My bad. However I am glad I did go to the dealer. They had trouble getting the new master key programmed. It took them twice as long as they thought but got it done and the key less entry and start works great now. You are right about one thing and that is this is one of the better forums that I have ever discovered. I would like to thank everyone for all their suggestions and help..I am totally over the moon with the "new to me" 2006 430.
Old 02-08-18, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, the button locks, touching the handle unlocks, and from experience, this function stopped working when my driver door actuator was faulty.

I had a Nissan Murano rental last month and the button served both functions. I think this is a cost cutting measure, just as having a black button is. Lexus went to the trouble of having those tiny expensive body colored door caps that can fall off, yet they place black rubber squares in the handles, that don't match lol (I know I know it's late 2000 design)

I like the BMW way (at least my 335), no buttons at all, just touch, and this is 2006/2007 technology. If a car co. wanted to get really crazy, look at that new Range Rover Velar! It even has an activity device where say you're going swimming, you can leave your fob in the car and take the activity device which is waterproof, and what cool handles!
Old 08-23-23, 08:05 AM
epicsurge
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 06 LS430, one master key and one valet key. The comfort access works, all the buttons on the key fob work, the only thing that doesn't work is the keyless ignition. The green key light is flashing, and when I press the ignition (without the key) the key light turns green, the keyfob flashes red as well, but it will not let me turn the ignition. Could this be a immobilizer problem?