LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

new trunk struts - Figs Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 05:43 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default new trunk struts - Figs Engineering

Recently, the trunk struts on my 2005 LS430 lost their mojo. Based on info gleaned from this forum, I decided to buy some replacement struts from Figs Engineering. Order was placed Tues Oct 2, at 4:39 PM. Package arrived today, and I just finished installing them. Fit and feel is great, and the trunk has its mojo back.

Time Required:
Start time: 4:18 PM
End Time: 4:43 PM
Elapsed time: 0:25

Note: Start time was the moment the box was opened. End time was when the project was finished (the struts were installed, the tools were back in the tool box, all packaging and old parts were in the recycling bin, hands were washed, hair was combed, and a refreshing adult beverage was in hand). Project also involved cleaning 12+ years of crud that had accumulated in and around the fittings at each end of the struts.

Tools Required:
small screw driver (to remove clips on old struts)
knife/scissors/sharp teeth (to open box and heat sealed poly bag)

Optional Tools:
Q-tips (for cleaning)
soft rag (for cleaning)
turpentine (for cleaning)
sunscreen
refreshing adult beverage

As always, your mileage may vary.

trunk lid strut - installed

Last edited by designdude; 10-07-17 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spacing and layout were messed up
The following users liked this post:
Jgregersen (10-10-17)
Old 10-06-17, 06:47 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Thank you for the write-up and the purchase. Much appreciated.
Old 10-06-17, 06:47 PM
biggieB15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed mine too, they work great.
Old 10-06-17, 08:29 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by designdude
Recently, the trunk struts on my 2005 LS430 lost their mojo. Based on info gleaned from this forum, I decided to buy some replacement struts from Figs Engineering. Order was placed Tues Oct 2, at 4:39 PM. Package arrived today, and I just finished installing them. Fit and feel is great, and the trunk has its mojo back.

Time Required:
Start time: 4:18 PM
End Time: 4:43 PM
Elapsed time: 0:25

Note: Start time was the moment the box was opened. End time was when the project was finished (the struts were installed, the tools were back in the tool box, all packaging and old parts were in the recycling bin, hands were washed, hair was combed, and a refreshing adult beverage was in hand). Project also involved cleaning 12+ years of crud that had accumulated in and around the fittings at each end of the struts.

Tools Required:
small screw driver (to remove clips on old struts)
knife/scissors/sharp teeth (to open box and heat sealed poly bag)

Optional Tools:
Q-tips (for cleaning)
soft rag (for cleaning)
turpentine (for cleaning)
sunscreen
refreshing adult beverage

As always, your mileage may vary.

hood strut - installed
^^^^^ you should edit 'hood' to say trunk, although 99% of us know what you're describing, after I took a doulbe-take, lol
Old 10-07-17, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Now that I've had Monroes for almost a year, oddly, the right side had grime on the ball stud (I believe these have zero warranty out the door)?

That's why for my wife's SUV, I went with Stabilus. These are rock solid after a year in my BMW, it's like the hood lifts with force. As a matter of fact, they are OEM, and they cost < $20 each. When I lifted the hood of a '17 760Li, what do you think the struts said? Stabilus. I'm trying these next time on the LS....
Old 10-09-17, 11:16 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Might just orders these tomorrow... mine are almost on their way out... excuses excuses i just like figs stuff lol
Old 10-10-17, 05:41 PM
Jgregersen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Favorited this in case mine goes out eventually
Old 10-11-17, 06:04 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a chance to ask about your trunk lid experience!
The heavy trunk lid has easily been worst the feature of my 04 LS430.
With the OEM struts, and later with no-name struts off ebay, the lid has always required a heavy lift to raise; so much so my wife avoids using the trunk.
Are all LS430 trunks this way?
Do quality aftermarket struts like FIGS etc reduce the effort required?
Interested in your experience here, thanks
Coker
Old 10-16-17, 11:01 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nc356
The heavy trunk lid has easily been worst the feature of my 04 LS430.
With the OEM struts, and later with no-name struts off ebay, the lid has always required a heavy lift to raise; so much so my wife avoids using the trunk.
Are all LS430 trunks this way?
Coker
I thought my trunk was heavy because of bad trunk struts. I guess they all are heavy.
Old 10-16-17, 01:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I had the Strong Arm struts on my SC300 and they lasted seven years. I will probably get them for the LS. How much are the FIGS Engineering struts?
Old 10-16-17, 01:17 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a pair of strongarm 6415 that I got in 2014, and I don't like them. I don't know if they are defective but they take so much force just trying to open the trunk. Do these open easily without alot of force required? Its almost like the struts I have are too long or the wrong size.
Old 10-16-17, 01:52 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I had the Strong Arm struts on my SC300 and they lasted seven years. I will probably get them for the LS. How much are the FIGS Engineering struts?
$69.95

http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/G3-LS-CAT/LS430TPK
Old 10-16-17, 04:32 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nc356
Coker
The FIGS struts ($87.95 shipped) definitely improved my experience.

Trunk lid pops up about 1/2" when released. Just enough. Then, easy to lift to about 20-30 degrees open, at which point the lid gently rises to full open. On close, you pull the black handle with not all that much force, until the lid is about 20 degrees open, at which point a finger touch and it closes securely. With practice, I suppose I will learn how much force is needed from the fully open position to guide it completely closed.

The motion is also much smoother and slower than the OEM struts that were worn out. It is also a little slower than in the 2003 LS430 I just sold. (which had the OEM struts, which worked fine).
The following users liked this post:
FIGS (10-16-17)
Old 10-16-17, 10:20 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by designdude
The FIGS struts ($87.95 shipped) definitely improved my experience.

Trunk lid pops up about 1/2" when released. Just enough. Then, easy to lift to about 20-30 degrees open, at which point the lid gently rises to full open. On close, you pull the black handle with not all that much force, until the lid is about 20 degrees open, at which point a finger touch and it closes securely. With practice, I suppose I will learn how much force is needed from the fully open position to guide it completely closed.

The motion is also much smoother and slower than the OEM struts that were worn out. It is also a little slower than in the 2003 LS430 I just sold. (which had the OEM struts, which worked fine).
Thank you for the feedback. I guess that is one thing that is overlooked is that we custom spec the force and damping on these to make them more effective than OEM, so they are not an OEM replacement which will just mimic the factory strut. We try our best to improve things when we can.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-20-17, 11:00 AM
beels1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 for the FIGS.

Earlier this month, I installed the Strong Arm E6415, and, well, they aren't so strong. Like e60bmw said, the Strong Arms still require a lot of force to open the trunk. Also, the lid barely pops up at all when you trigger the remote release - you can't really tell it is open. Example: My wife said "pop the trunk", but I had already hit the release, then she started to lift the lid, and it slammed down and re-locked - annoying. Really still too heavy, though they are better than a completely failed lift because the lid will stay up once you get it open.

Today, I just installed the FIGS and they are much better. Lid pops up a little, probably about 1/4 inch, but you can tell it is open, and the lid has much more lift assist to it and is easier to raise. Really glad I switched to the FIGS.

Quick Reply: new trunk struts - Figs Engineering