LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Power steering return hose replacement

Old 07-24-17, 03:04 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering return hose replacement

I recently purchased a 2001 UL with 166k+ miles. It's leaking power steering fluid which I didn't realize until I removed the splash guard to change the oil. After taking a closer at the hoses coming out of the reservoir, I noticed what looks like a big glob of JB Weld on the return hose which is where the leak is coming from. I searched for the hose which seems to be OEM only (Part # 44406-50220) and costs $250+ which I would prefer to hold off on for now given the amount of money I have spent on the rest of the car this month.

The hose that is attached to the reservoir looks like it could be removed from the rest of the hose assembly and a generic hose could be used but that is judging from the schematic. So my question is does anyone know if that section of hose could be replaced or will it require me to purchase the whole thing?

TIA
Old 07-24-17, 09:21 PM
js058515
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHEE
I recently purchased a 2001 UL with 166k+ miles. It's leaking power steering fluid which I didn't realize until I removed the splash guard to change the oil. After taking a closer at the hoses coming out of the reservoir, I noticed what looks like a big glob of JB Weld on the return hose which is where the leak is coming from. I searched for the hose which seems to be OEM only (Part # 44406-50220) and costs $250+ which I would prefer to hold off on for now given the amount of money I have spent on the rest of the car this month.

The hose that is attached to the reservoir looks like it could be removed from the rest of the hose assembly and a generic hose could be used but that is judging from the schematic. So my question is does anyone know if that section of hose could be replaced or will it require me to purchase the whole thing?

TIA
It's not one of these hoses?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...sure+hose,7320
Old 07-25-17, 03:40 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHEE
There are 2 hoses connected to the reservoir. The one that goes to the power steering pump (#9 in the picture below) can be replaced with an ordinary rubber hose.

Old 07-25-17, 07:44 AM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

No. 8 on the diagram ?
This is a common problem as the last leg, so to speak, of the return line hardens over time losing flexibility. Especially after 166xxx miles. My car has the same problem but it's not bad enough yet to cause panic. I've considered the exact repair you are curious about. Will it work ? MAYBE but just remember any hose you buy locally will be inch size (5/16" or 3/8" etc) and the corresponding metal tube it attaches to is metric. Probably 10mm but as luck would have it 3/8" is only slightly smaller than 10mm so the 3/8 ID hose will fit nice and snug over the metal tube. The old hose will be have to be cut off the metal tube leaving an annoying amount of rubber to clean off the end. Just be sure to carefully clean all the old hose off and try not to gouge the outer surface of the metal tube. Be sure to buy the correct hose for atf fluid temp pressure etc and not vacuum hose. Also be prepared for the other hose, from the reservoir to the pump, to prob disintegrate if unattached from the reservoir. Have a replacement on hand when you start the job. Worst case scenario you have spent a couple dollars on a short piece of hose. Good luck !!!
The following users liked this post:
FILTHEE (07-25-17)
Old 07-25-17, 09:27 AM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by js058515
Unfortunately not.
Old 07-25-17, 09:43 AM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
No. 8 on the diagram ?
This is a common problem as the last leg, so to speak, of the return line hardens over time losing flexibility. Especially after 166xxx miles. My car has the same problem but it's not bad enough yet to cause panic. I've considered the exact repair you are curious about. Will it work ? MAYBE but just remember any hose you buy locally will be inch size (5/16" or 3/8" etc) and the corresponding metal tube it attaches to is metric. Probably 10mm but as luck would have it 3/8" is only slightly smaller than 10mm so the 3/8 ID hose will fit nice and snug over the metal tube. The old hose will be have to be cut off the metal tube leaving an annoying amount of rubber to clean off the end. Just be sure to carefully clean all the old hose off and try not to gouge the outer surface of the metal tube. Be sure to buy the correct hose for atf fluid temp pressure etc and not vacuum hose. Also be prepared for the other hose, from the reservoir to the pump, to prob disintegrate if unattached from the reservoir. Have a replacement on hand when you start the job. Worst case scenario you have spent a couple dollars on a short piece of hose. Good luck !!!
Correct, it's #8. And from what I gather from another thread, the ID of that hose is 10mm as you stated, so if I'm unable to find it online, then 3/8" it is . I ordered the #9 hose by mistake but will be using it regardless since it's right there anyway.

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-25-17, 09:57 AM
bradland

Please let us know how this turns out. Be prepared as the hose is not going to separate from the metal tube easily. It's not meant to be removed EVER and is therefore fairly permanent.
Be glad you already have No. 9 as you'll more than likely need it!
Old 07-25-17, 11:08 AM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Please let us know how this turns out. Be prepared as the hose is not going to separate from the metal tube easily. It's not meant to be removed EVER and is therefore fairly permanent.
Be glad you already have No. 9 as you'll more than likely need it!
I sure will. In the little time I've owned the car, I have found that not much is easy on this car. I'm sure removing the rubber from the metal tube will be as fun as removing the foam surround on the ML sub. Actually, I know it's going to be much worse. But much like converting the air suspension to steel springs, financially it's worth the headache. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-17, 07:25 PM
bradland

It took me a while to find the pic but this is the hose from reservoir to pump on my LS400. I was plugging the ACV and had to remove the pump to do so when this happened. The hose ripped apart like a dry ice cream cone ! The car had approx 175,000 miles when I did the work...
Old 07-25-17, 08:47 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

It took me a while to find the pic but this is the hose from reservoir to pump on my LS400. I was plugging the ACV and had to remove the pump to do so when this happened. The hose ripped apart like a dry ice cream cone ! The car had approx 175,000 miles when I did the work...
Now i'm really glad I bought the other hose. The Arizona heat kills anything made of rubber or plastic.
Old 07-26-17, 08:27 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Hey FILTHEE, did you happen to buy your car in Phoenix? About a month ago?
Old 07-26-17, 09:01 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
Hey FILTHEE, did you happen to buy your car in Phoenix? About a month ago?
Yes I did.
Old 08-05-17, 02:21 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the hose last night and was surprised to find that the hose was just held held on with spring clamps. The hardest part was getting the hose off because it became hard and brittle like plastic, but still very easy. But there was no adhesive or anything to scrape off the metal tube like I was expecting.
Old 08-06-17, 08:38 PM
bradland

Interesting and a pleasant surprise...
Glad to hear it went well and thanks for following up!