LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone actually kept all that plastic in engine bay?

Old 07-18-17, 10:25 PM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone actually kept all that plastic in engine bay?

I'm tired of looking at all that plastic covering the engine bay. The clips holding it are crap, I can't see squat, and pulling the plastic covers out and in all the time is a damn chore. Anyone just said screw it and tossed them all out? I'm about to go there the next time it gets in my way again.
Old 07-19-17, 12:16 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I hardly pop the hood on my 430 to warrant any drastic cosmetic changes. Plus I think it's primary purpose is to keep spurious engine accessory noises at bay.
Old 07-19-17, 12:21 AM
js058515
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rocket, I think you may be in the minority on the engine bay plastic removal. I have learned to enjoy the clean look of the engine bay at the expense of a couple extra minutes to remove the a few plastic pieces. I just don't think it looks as good without the plastic along with what Mobius1 mentioned about the sound dampening.
Old 07-19-17, 02:49 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I am not mistaken the main reason for all the covers are (in order):
-Sound dedning.
-Heat reduction on the components.
-Reducing water splashing on the elictric & electronic components.
-Lokes nicer by hiding all the components away.

Will it cose any issues to the components underneath if removed, I don't think it will, maybe on the long run yes.
I am happy of keeping thim in place, and new clips are cheap to get.
Old 07-19-17, 04:33 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm proud to say that all the sections/clips/fasteners are in place and working properly on my 2001. The 2005 is missing a few fasteners near the battery area, but all the covers are in place.
I prefer the look of the covers. I've owned my 2001 for almost 3 years now and have only removed the covers one time to access the throttle body and MAF for cleaning.
Old 07-19-17, 04:54 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Lexus plastic rivets to hold down the covers are bank$. Ebay are like 2.38 for 30 of them including shipping
Old 07-19-17, 06:11 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I personally don't think that Lexus put all the covers in the engine bay just because they thought they were pretty. I'm sure they serve a purpose such as controlling temperatures, etc. I keep my engine bay clean with very little effort. Befittting of this luxury car.
Old 07-19-17, 07:37 AM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I personally don't think that Lexus put all the covers in the engine bay just because they thought they were pretty. I'm sure they serve a purpose such as controlling temperatures, etc. I keep my engine bay clean with very little effort. Befittting of this luxury car.
You'd be surprised. Those covers generally are to deter lazy people from working on their own car, assuming you're baller enough to pay someone else to do it. No joke. You'd think it's to make the bay look pretty, but I guarantee you - ask any grease monkey, they'll give you the same answer.

Those cheap covers have no "sound deadening." Material that muffles out sound is soft and is very flexible. Memory foam, GTMATs, the fire retardant hood material that lines the bottom of your hood, even thick layers of cotton can absorb sound. The plastic cover by itself does very little.

I guess I am the minority group here...I'm just having a fit from taking off those damn clips off all the time, since my LS need work. Plus it's very dirty under those covers. I'd rather clean out the engine bay and watch everything work in bare view...I'm that guy with the clear PC case window just to watch it all work.
Old 07-19-17, 08:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I took most of them off on my 05 LS about four years ago. I've been asked if my engine is an LS1 at car meets due to how the engine looks without a cover.

my 02 still has the covers but I don't do a whole lot with that car. It's stock minus the LED bulbs and black front grille.
Old 07-19-17, 10:33 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

The car is over engineered. Covers are probably functional and cosmetic. No covers? To each his (or her) own. I personally like the look. Also neither LS I've owned has ever needed any engine work (other than spark plugs). Time to pull the covers isn't an issue.
Old 07-19-17, 12:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I am in the minority I guess, early on I removed the goofy looking plastic engine covers off my LS430 and SC430. I think the covers are cosmetic items that if anything actually increase the amount of retained heat - heat that negatively affects all components but particularly rubber hoses and insulation on wiring .
Old 07-19-17, 05:03 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned my 03 since it was brand new and have pulled the covers exactly .... once. When I did my timing belt service. I am missing one clip that broke when I pulled them. I like the look of the covers.
Old 07-19-17, 09:07 PM
js058515
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I take my comment back about you being in the minority Rocket. From the comments it looks to be pretty close to 50/50 poll so far, and those who prefer them off have some pretty good reasoning.
Old 07-19-17, 10:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by js058515
I take my comment back about you being in the minority Rocket. From the comments it looks to be pretty close to 50/50 poll so far, and those who prefer them off have some pretty good reasoning.
I disagree. Years ago a had a very good friend that was on the staff of the GM Proving Grounds in Mesa, AZ. On of the topics that caused them problems was excessive heat under the hood. The cars were different (engine size, shape, components located in different places with constant changes as models and yearly changes occurred. GM would often purchase competitors cars to evaluate. One weekend he had a big BMW sedan and it had instrumentation positioned under the hood to determine the localized temperatures. He was impressed that BMW had located the ECU in part of the A/C auction in the dash area to keep it cool!

Just saying that I accept the fact that the Lexus engineers probably knew what they were doing when designing the engine covers and they may know more about that than we give them credit for. I don't think anything can be taken as obvious from the eyes of laymen trying to make decisions without actual data. Sorry guys.
Old 07-20-17, 02:25 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default re: Plactic Engine Covers

I have every engine plastic piece including original clips that I've replaced exactly as they have come from the factory. Love originality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone actually kept all that plastic in engine bay?