LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Car hesitates when cornering

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 09:22 AM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car hesitates when cornering

I am on my 5th ls 430 [yes it is true] and they all did the same thing. When I am at a complete stop and then accelerate quickly while cornering the car hesitates badly making it difficult to pull out in fast traffic .all other time when I am going straight it flies. Have always cleaned out Throttle Body and MAF sensor never made a difference. What's up.

2003 UL
Silver with black Int.
2-2001 ML
2-2003 UL
1-2004 ML
Old 05-15-17, 02:46 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be the aggressive "safety" nannies. I've noticed that when the tires slip at launch while steering, even the slightest amount (doesn't even beep or flash warning lights), the traction/VSC cuts power for a solid second, then gradually lets back on. Definitely not safe when you're trying to get up to traffic speed.

Assuming this is what's happening with your LS, there's not much that can be done, aside from getting really grippy tires, or driving with the safeties off.
Old 05-15-17, 03:09 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by doyo
Might be the aggressive "safety" nannies. I've noticed that when the tires slip at launch while steering, even the slightest amount (doesn't even beep or flash warning lights), the traction/VSC cuts power for a solid second, then gradually lets back on. Definitely not safe when you're trying to get up to traffic speed.

Assuming this is what's happening with your LS, there's not much that can be done, aside from getting really grippy tires, or driving with the safeties off.
+1

One of the few complaints that I have about my car is exactly this. IMO, you should be able to completely disable any of those "features", ideally by pressing the TRAC OFF button, or worst case, going into Techstream to do it.
Old 05-15-17, 03:27 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
+1

One of the few complaints that I have about my car is exactly this. IMO, you should be able to completely disable any of those "features", ideally by pressing the TRAC OFF button, or worst case, going into Techstream to do it.
S'far as I know, the 01-03 switch does, indeed, turn the systems off completely. The 04+ has a partial disable. That said, depending on your tires and road conditions, revving the LS around with no assists may still be a bad idea if you've no training with understeer/oversteer.
Old 05-16-17, 05:04 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lexman52
I am on my 5th ls 430 [yes it is true] and they all did the same thing. When I am at a complete stop and then accelerate quickly while cornering the car hesitates badly making it difficult to pull out in fast traffic .all other time when I am going straight it flies. Have always cleaned out Throttle Body and MAF sensor never made a difference. What's up.

2003 UL
Silver with black Int.
2-2001 ML
2-2003 UL
1-2004 ML
So I read this 3x to ensure I wasn't imagining things. You've had 5 different LS's and they ALL "hesitate badly" while you're accelerating quickly & cornering? ALL 5 LS's DID THAT? LOL! So, you're either driving like a maniac and like the others said, the stability control is keeping you in check, or you're consistently driving with a 1/32's full (empty) gas tank and starving the fuel as you mimic a a Formula1 car. I'd bet you're driving like a maniac and the car's control is better than yours and your flying! Try taking a refresher in drivers ed, or attend an AAA defensive driving course! (Not sure why I'm even replying to this post.)
Old 05-16-17, 06:03 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

LS430...... I nether drive like a maniac or keep an empty gas tank. .Please do not answer questions with such foolish answers. Thank You I do not understand why you answered ether

Last edited by lexman52; 05-16-17 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 06:11 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Doyo I will try shutting it off just to see if it makes a difference. If that 1 second rule is true that would make sense. Slow pick up after hesitation.
Old 05-17-17, 08:12 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The LS400's develop the same issue and it's almost always the throttle body being dirty.
Old 05-17-17, 08:38 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Interesting thread. Have a Sport. I can push it into corners and accelerate out hard. Relatively soft tires.
Never a problem w/ temp slow down. Wonder if this "feature" wasn't included because it's a Sport.
Old 05-17-17, 08:48 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

2003 UL
Silver with black Int.
2-2001 ML
2-2003 UL
1-2004 ML
You're braver than I am! Had an 01 Base w/ standard suspension. I can't imagine trying to corner hard while accelerating. Stock suspension is incredibly comfortable but I always slowed down before cornering. Do you currently have all the LS's listed? Different colors for different trips or days of the week? Just kidding of course We all like LS's in here.
Old 05-17-17, 09:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
You're braver than I am! Had an 01 Base w/ standard suspension. I can't imagine trying to corner hard while accelerating. Stock suspension is incredibly comfortable but I always slowed down before cornering. Do you currently have all the LS's listed? Different colors for different trips or days of the week? Just kidding of course We all like LS's in here.
I pulled out fast yesterday and was quite surprised (glanced down and the tach was at 4000--prolly a new first)....guess that's the 5.9 0-60 lurking in the 3UZ.....but true cornering is rather limited....backing off will return some grip to the fronts....I once told someone I have a different maxima for each day of the week, and he believed me....
Old 05-17-17, 12:31 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I am not corning while I am moving.
Old 05-17-17, 12:41 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

I need to explain this better. I am not corning while I am moving. I have a street that I stop at. Traffic that I need to get into is going about 40MPH non stop..There for I need to squeeze in to it as fast as I can. When I do that's when it hesitates. You cant imagine how many times I almost got rear ended.
Old 05-17-17, 01:50 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe throwing a bottle of Seafoam engine treatment into your fuel may help clean injectors and what-not.
Old 05-17-17, 04:01 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I need to explain this better. I am not corning while I am moving.
Oh really? Maybe you DO need to explain it better! How is someone supposed to help when you are describing totally different scenarios?

The TITLE your call for help is, ""Car hesitates when cornering"

In your post you say
...and then accelerate quickly while cornering
Yet in post #12 you describe just the opposite?..
I am not corning while I am moving.
In post #13 you say,
I need to explain this better. I am not corning while I am moving.
Finally, you also describe driving very fast
when I am going straight it flies.
Where I'm going with all this, and slowly and in control I should add, is---my answer was not foolish. It was completely accurate for what you originally described. In hindsight, the only foolishness was my response to your fragmented descriptions for assistance. I stand by my opinion saying you should reconsider your driving style, ensure your fuel tank isn't at 1/32nd.

Good luck buddy.

Quick Reply: Car hesitates when cornering