LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 LS430 tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 09:42 PM
mytilinios
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 05 LS430 tranny fluid change

hey guys just purchased a beautiful 1 owner 2005 lexus ls430 and I absolutely LOVE the car.. anyways it has 100,500 miles on it and I dont think the tranny fluid has ever been changed.. ive been given SO MANY mixed answers on this damn topic I just don't understand how a fluid can be "forever" I mean that just sounds ridiculous. I brought it to Lexus and inquired about it and the lady at the counter told me "I have heard of people having issues after they changed it especially if its never been changed before , its kinda like opening pandoras box". Which left me feeling on edge.. I plan on keeping the car for a long time and if Lexus refuses to do a simple drain and fill ( I do NOT want a flush) then perhaps my local Toyota Dealer will do it for me.. many cheers guys these cars are gorgeous !
Old 04-07-17, 05:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was in your shoes not that long ago, and read everything I could, and was still feeling, if it ain't broke, don't fix it....

But when I had my car at the indie, he suggested a drain and fill. I asked him if that could ruin my tranny, and he said, "NOT A CHANCE," at your mileage. The car had around 84k at the time.

Flash forward, they did one drain and fill, and 2k later, nothing has changed. The tech himself said I might have a hard time trying to DIY this at home (2006), so if I feel like it, try to bring the car back two more times, as he can only get 3 qts out each time.

What seems to be the general consensus is a) never flush b) only drain and fill if fluid is pink, or dirty (not burnt) c) if burnt, leave alone

Of course, the above is just what I determined as a greenhorn last winter....just don't change it if it's burnt would be my advice, otherwise, do 3 drain and fills....
Old 04-07-17, 05:54 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I suggest you do 3 drain and fills. This will partially replace roughly 9 quarts of the existing ATF. This process will restore the additive packs in the fluid that wear out as fluid ages. I did this on mine at about 80k miles and the first drain fluid coming out was pretty dark. I did it myself, waiting about a week between drains - timing was just a convience for me getting some available time. It is a PITA because it has to be done 100% under the car, you have to measure fluid drained and replaced carefully, but it is not hard at all. By the time I did the third drain and fill, I had the process down and it took less than 30 minutes taking my time. By third drain and fill the ATF draining was much cleaner looking. I plan on doing 2-3 drain and fills every 50k miles going forward depending on fluid condition of first drain.
The following users liked this post:
Johnhav430 (04-07-17)
Old 04-07-17, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I suggest you do 3 drain and fills. This will partially replace roughly 9 quarts of the existing ATF. This process will restore the additive packs in the fluid that wear out as fluid ages. I did this on mine at about 80k miles and the first drain fluid coming out was pretty dark. I did it myself, waiting about a week between drains - timing was just a convience for me getting some available time. It is a PITA because it has to be done 100% under the car, you have to measure fluid drained and replaced carefully, but it is not hard at all. By the time I did the third drain and fill, I had the process down and it took less than 30 minutes taking my time. By third drain and fill the ATF draining was much cleaner looking. I plan on doing 2-3 drain and fills every 50k miles going forward depending on fluid condition of first drain.
Awesome...still on the fence about DIY, I find it remarkable how low everything is....I did the oil last weekend, although I had my jack stands at the lowest setting, and was eyeing the rear diff fluid job, but thinking darn I would not be able to get under the tranny like this....
Old 04-07-17, 07:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't it interesting, #1 is serious bang for buck...each subsequent is a little better than 1/2 (55.2%) of the previous result....maybe my indie is using conventional wisdom, or actually doesn't know when he says to do 3 if possible...after 3, there is still 17% of the original, but that may be the sweet spot. Imagine how little improvement there is with say #6. If we were talking about an oil change, we may like the concentration of the old oil to be like a #7 drain and fill, i.e. 1.6% old, 98.4% new....but 7 drain and fills would have to be even cost and time prohibitive for a billionaire...
Old 04-07-17, 07:28 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

From previous experience on this very subject ......Let sleeping dogs lie.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (04-07-17)
Old 04-07-17, 08:20 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Awesome...still on the fence about DIY, I find it remarkable how low everything is....I did the oil last weekend, although I had my jack stands at the lowest setting, and was eyeing the rear diff fluid job, but thinking darn I would not be able to get under the tranny like this....
Yeah you have to get this car up high off the ground to get comfortable working space though I'm sure most here manage just fine.
Old 04-07-17, 11:39 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mytilinios
hey guys just purchased a beautiful 1 owner 2005 lexus ls430 and I absolutely LOVE the car.. anyways it has 100,500 miles on it and I dont think the tranny fluid has ever been changed.. ive been given SO MANY mixed answers on this damn topic I just don't understand how a fluid can be "forever" I mean that just sounds ridiculous. I brought it to Lexus and inquired about it and the lady at the counter told me "I have heard of people having issues after they changed it especially if its never been changed before , its kinda like opening pandoras box". Which left me feeling on edge.. I plan on keeping the car for a long time and if Lexus refuses to do a simple drain and fill ( I do NOT want a flush) then perhaps my local Toyota Dealer will do it for me.. many cheers guys these cars are gorgeous !
Congrats on your new LS. No idea why a Lex dealer would't agree. Did you talk to a service writer or mechanic? I bought my 04 w/ 102. Did D/F #1 immediately. Slightly better (indie overfilled) Drove 1k then did D/F #2 (dealer, got it right, cost 200). Car shifts seamlessly. Good preventative maintenance. Worth doing.
Old 05-07-17, 03:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Now that I have done 3 drain/fills (did not DIY, paid an indie about $190 total), I would say I am most certainly on the camp who believes nothing lasts forever. Thinking back, I was clearly on the if it ain't broke, don't fix it side, but no more.

I saw what the fluid looked like after one drain/fill--at 89k, BLACK. This would be with ~44% new fluid. The fact that Toyota has a chart, to me implies the drain/fill procedure is legit.

The indie was very courteous, he did drain/fill #2, then drove the car, and did #3, in the same visit, without charging any more except another 2 qts. of WS (they charge for 3 in a job). I asked him if I should come back for #3, he said no, I did that today--that's integrity. Again, he stated it can be DIY at home, but it's important for the temp to be correct as the fluid expands tremendously when warmed, and also, it's critical for the vehicle to be level, which means either on 4 jack stands, or on the ground with a long tube. Was it worth it to have paid almost $200 for 3 drain/fills? I think so, the forum says Lexus gets $200 to $300 each. 3X would be a tough pill to swallow ($600-$900 for fluid, when a timing belt is $700-$800 at an indie?)...

Since I've gone 4k since the first drain/fill, I think this procedure is fine (when initiated at a lower mileage like 80k) and should help the tranny to last longer. My .02....
Old 05-07-17, 04:44 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Now that I have done 3 drain/fills (did not DIY, paid an indie about $190 total), I would say I am most certainly on the camp who believes nothing lasts forever. Thinking back, I was clearly on the if it ain't broke, don't fix it side, but no more.

I saw what the fluid looked like after one drain/fill--at 89k, BLACK. This would be with ~44% new fluid. The fact that Toyota has a chart, to me implies the drain/fill procedure is legit.

The indie was very courteous, he did drain/fill #2, then drove the car, and did #3, in the same visit, without charging any more except another 2 qts. of WS (they charge for 3 in a job). I asked him if I should come back for #3, he said no, I did that today--that's integrity. Again, he stated it can be DIY at home, but it's important for the temp to be correct as the fluid expands tremendously when warmed, and also, it's critical for the vehicle to be level, which means either on 4 jack stands, or on the ground with a long tube. Was it worth it to have paid almost $200 for 3 drain/fills? I think so, the forum says Lexus gets $200 to $300 each. 3X would be a tough pill to swallow ($600-$900 for fluid, when a timing belt is $700-$800 at an indie?)...

Since I've gone 4k since the first drain/fill, I think this procedure is fine (when initiated at a lower mileage like 80k) and should help the tranny to last longer. My .02....
$200 for three drain and fills? I'd say you got quite a bargain, I know people that gladly pay $200 for one. You should feel pretty happy you found someone that charged that little and actually took some time to explain things to you (because that can be rare too).
Old 05-07-17, 06:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
$200 for three drain and fills? I'd say you got quite a bargain, I know people that gladly pay $200 for one. You should feel pretty happy you found someone that charged that little and actually took some time to explain things to you (because that can be rare too).
Yeah I was wondering why I saw my car back out and drive away, the tech took it upon himself to knock drain/fills #2 and #3 out of the way. He also set aside the fluid and poured it for me so I could see the color. I mentioned that maybe the next job would be motor mounts and tranny mount, he showed them to me on the lift, and said they don't appear to need replacement, and I just said well due to age...he really felt that the car needed nothing, recommended installing the shims on the front brakes that the selling dealer did not install, and about the only possible thing I could need in the future are shocks at some point....

For me, the troubling thing about $200 each is that 2.5 out of 5.6 is replaced....better than I thought because for whatever reason I heard 9 qt. capacity, which is wrong....but the indie gets $86, so he saved me I would say $50-$60 in labor by doing two at once (and a return trip for #3)...when you think about it, it is NOT the same labor to put the car back on the lift and do another drain/fill.....yep good indie imho, likely better than a dealer...