LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Got Some Of My To-Do List Done Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 01:52 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Got Some Of My To-Do List Done Today

I finally had half way decent weather and decided to knock out some of the items on my 01' that needed doing.

1) I swapped out the rear LCA bushings
2) Drained/filled the first 3 QT's of Toyota type T-IV
3) Changed the Transmission/Rear Engine mount
4) Removed the drilled rotors and installed new Centric rotors

The LCA bushings were pretty easy to do. The car seems to drive just as straight as it did before, so I don't think an alignment is necessary.
It "feels" a little better, but not as drastic as I perhaps expected. I know others have said the same thing, but one never knows until it's done on our own car...

The brakes are 100% better. I know the drilled rotors look the part, but honestly, they aren't needed on a car like this. I just never got used to the feel you get from the drilled rotors.

I don't notice a huge difference with the rear engine mount either, and it didn't look to be in terrible shape, but with 150K on the odometer now, it was time.

I noticed the mfg. date on the front struts was January of 2006, so apparently thay were replaced in the last 10 years. Not by me and there's no record of them being swapped out in any of the maintenance records I have. Interesting.

And now, for a few pictures;

New and old LCA bushes. Right side was only slightly worse

1st three quarts of fluid. At 150,000 miles it was ready!

Rear mount. Old one is on the bottom, fyi... It really doesn't look that bad. It did seem soft when I squeezed each side.

Jan. 2006 date on the strut. Interesting, but not sure why they would be changed?

New Centric rotor installed. Caliper repainted with logo decal installed.

Next on the list are the front stabilizer bushings and rear rotors. I'm hoping these Yokohama's will last until next winter, so I can put off buying new tires for another year, but somehow I don't think I'll make it...
Old 03-30-17, 02:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for sharing info and pics. ATF did look ready for some new fluid. Nice work. Have you changed your read diff fluid?...pretty easy job and if it hasn't been done before it may need it.
Old 03-30-17, 02:53 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Thanks for sharing info and pics. ATF did look ready for some new fluid. Nice work. Have you changed your read diff fluid?...pretty easy job and if it hasn't been done before it may need it.
Yeah, rear diff fluid was changed about 40,000 miles ago, so it's probably due soon.
Old 03-31-17, 06:14 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Your removed tranny mount looked like it was still in one piece. If that's the case then you may not notice much improvement. When it comes out in pieces then you know you're ride is definitely going to be better with the new mount.
Old 03-31-17, 06:31 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Legender
Your removed tranny mount looked like it was still in one piece. If that's the case then you may not notice much improvement. When it comes out in pieces then you know you're ride is definitely going to be better with the new mount.
Yeah, I would concur. I don't feel much difference in the ride, however, the annoying jiggle I've always felt with this car when I back up seems to be gone. And with the mileage that I'm at (hit 150K on the way to work this morning) I figure I'm about half way through the car's life, so the trans mount is no longer a concern. The car feels slightly tighter with the new rear LCA bushings and I still have new stabilizer bushings that I need to install, which should help as well.
Old 03-31-17, 07:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

awesome pics! I don't think I need them, but I'd like to do the motor mounts and tranny mount in the coming year. Also, 2 more drain/fills.....what do you use to pump the tranny fluid, one of those Harbor Freight orange pumps? I was thinking of using that for the rear diff--I bought a pump but it turns out it's for a gallon, not a quart....

p.s. lovin' the caliper, looks stock plus the addition of the logo is nice....
Old 03-31-17, 08:13 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
what do you use to pump the tranny fluid, one of those Harbor Freight orange pumps? I was thinking of using that for the rear diff--I bought a pump but it turns out it's for a gallon, not a quart........
I just did a 3 quart drain and fill. Open the drain, let it run for about 15 minutes and eventually you get just under 3 QTs out of the pan. I'll do it again next week, after 1000 miles or so.

I do have a small gear lube pump that I bought at HF, so I'll use that when I do the rear diff in a month or so.
Old 04-01-17, 08:06 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
.....what do you use to pump the tranny fluid, one of those Harbor Freight orange pumps?
Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I just did a 3 quart drain and fill. Open the drain, let it run for about 15 minutes and eventually you get just under 3 QTs out of the pan. I'll do it again next week, after 1000 miles or so.

I do have a small gear lube pump that I bought at HF, so I'll use that when I do the rear diff in a month or so.
I think John was asking how you got the fluid back into the tranny but since you were working on your 01 I'm assuming that you just poured it into the dipstick tube???
Old 04-02-17, 04:26 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I think John was asking how you got the fluid back into the tranny but since you were working on your 01 I'm assuming that you just poured it into the dipstick tube???
Yes, 2001 has the dipper-stick, so I just poured the fluid through a clean funnel and directly into the transmission. Easy-Peasy. If I ever get to a point where I have to replace the fluid on my 2005, I'll have to invest in a decent pump. I'm hoping I never have to..

I wonder if there's a way to add a dipstick to an A761E? Hmm....
Old 04-02-17, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Yes, 2001 has the dipper-stick, so I just poured the fluid through a clean funnel and directly into the transmission. Easy-Peasy. If I ever get to a point where I have to replace the fluid on my 2005, I'll have to invest in a decent pump. I'm hoping I never have to..

I wonder if there's a way to add a dipstick to an A761E? Hmm....
Gotcha...the tech who did mine at the indie said it's a bit difficult to DIY at home (on my '06)....and I believed him, meaning, he wasn't trying to discourage me from DIY and only having them do it....they get $80 I think and he said to try to come back 2 more times....oh yeah I remember him saying you have to pump and then the check plug has fluid coming out so you know it's full, as opposed to keep filling until it comes out the fill....

I did note yesterday when doing my oil and tires, there really is very little clearance...I started to use jack stands for safety, but I still prefer to leave the stands on the lowest setting, which doesn't help much....