LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission fluid replacement?

Old 12-24-15, 02:31 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Transmission fluid replacement?

I just finished checking the transmission level.

I followed that attachment "ATF Adjustment" and jacked up both ends of the car so that it would be level and I could have access under the car. The overflow plug took a hex bit (I think 5 mm) and the the fill plug took a 24 mm wrench. To access the fill plug you have to remove two 10 mm bolts and remove an access cover.

So with the car level, I removed the overflow plug and measure about 1.1 qts that drained from the overflow opening. The temperature of the fluid was about 110 F. I used an infrared thermometer on the pan and measured about 120 F.

According to the Automatic transmission adjustment procedure there will be the proper amount of fluid when the car is level and just a trickle of fluid comes out of the overflow opening. So if this is true my transmission pan was overfilled by about a quart.

I lowered the back end of the car down and only got about 0.2 qts more.

So what I'm wondering is with the current procedure that most are performing with the drain and fill are you actually overfilling the transmission?

What is interesting is that on P.462 of the Lexus Owners manual it states:
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Fluid capacity
Drain and refill 2.4 L (2.5 qt., 2.1 lmp.qt.)
Fluid type Toyota Genuine ATF WS*

So is there another drain plug on the pan that allows you to completely empty the transmission pan?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ATF Adjustment.pdf (77.5 KB, 304 views)
Old 12-24-15, 03:25 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

If someone has a picture of the inside of the transmission pan please post it here. I'm still trying to understand the overflow plug.
Old 12-24-15, 04:07 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a 12 or 14mm? drain plug on the bottom of the trans pan near the back. The overflow is a hex, like you said. If you got a quart of fluid out of the overflow then it sounds like it was overfilled. The engine was off when you checked the overflow?

I only get ~1.8 qts out when I remove the drain plug. I think, depending on how long the car has been sitting, you might get more.
Old 12-24-15, 04:52 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
There is a 12 or 14mm? drain plug on the bottom of the trans pan near the back. The overflow is a hex, like you said. If you got a quart of fluid out of the overflow then it sounds like it was overfilled. The engine was off when you checked the overflow?

I only get ~1.8 qts out when I remove the drain plug. I think, depending on how long the car has been sitting, you might get more.
The engine was off when I checked the overflow but the transmission fluid was in the proper temperature range according to the procedure.

The reason I posted this is because my impression was that people were removing the overflow plug with the front end on stands or ramps and then just replaced whatever came out. If this is the case then those people are overfilling their transmission.

I think next week I'm going to remove the drain plug and then fill it back up with the proper amount.

Right now I added a quart of transmission fluid and my fluid level is probably overfilled.
Old 12-24-15, 04:56 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
If someone has a picture of the inside of the transmission pan please post it here. I'm still trying to understand the overflow plug.
This Youtube video does a pretty good job showing how the overfill drain tube work...

Old 12-24-15, 05:02 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Yes, I've seen that video. It's a good one. But it does say it is for 2007 and newer vehicles.
I just wanted to make sure the LS430 worked the same way.
Old 12-24-15, 05:55 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Yes, I've seen that video.
Well in that case, let me tell you about the best 3-ton aluminum floor jack, bar none!

Just kidding - Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-15, 06:04 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Could you tell us about the best engineered 2-ton jack stands instead, rkw?
Old 12-24-15, 07:26 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

One other thing I did was to gently stick a small piece of wire through the overflow hole to see if there really was a tube. I couldn't really tell but I did feel something that wouldn't let me push the wire through. It might have been a screen over the tube/hole?
Anywho, if someone has dropped their pan in the past I would like to hear what you observed in the pan itself.
Old 12-25-15, 11:52 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

The engine was off when I checked the overflow but the transmission fluid was in the proper temperature range according to the procedure.
Shouldn't engine be idling when you checked overflow at proper temperature? (Pus moving shift lever trough the sequences as per the PDF)
Old 12-25-15, 12:16 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Shouldn't engine be idling when you checked overflow at proper temperature? (Pus moving shift lever trough the sequences as per the PDF)
I didn't do that but will do so when I check it in a few days.

My point is still the same. How many people are verifying the transmission level before draining?

Having read through the multitude of posts on the big thread about transmission fluid change I wasn't clear what people were doing consistently.

Personally I think the moderators need to delete every transmission thread and post one thread that correctly points out (with pictures) what plug should be removed and when. I will take pictures next week. I think someone could easily *(#*% up their transmission with the current fuzzy information.
Old 12-25-15, 12:40 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't do that but will do so when I check it in a few days.

My point is still the same. How many people are verifying the transmission level before draining?

Having read through the multitude of posts on the big thread about transmission fluid change I wasn't clear what people were doing consistently.

Personally I think the moderators need to delete every transmission thread and post one thread that correctly points out (with pictures) what plug should be removed and when. I will take pictures next week. I think someone could easily *(#*% up their transmission with the current fuzzy information.
I think deleting every transmission thread is a bit of an overreaction.
You need to check the trans level (via the overflow port) with the car level, engine running, fluid temps between 115 and 130.

I've done all my changes on a lift, so car was level. Still a pain though because you need to have the car low enough to get in an out but high enough to get underneath.
Old 12-25-15, 03:52 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Sorry, I may be an old timer, but I'm a firm believer not to "touch" trans fluid ever for the newer cars unless there is a problem. Leave sleeping dogs lie. Transmissions don't like to be disturbed.. try it and good luck!