LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LCA bushings done!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 01:48 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LCA bushings done!!!

Finally got a chance to get my LCA bushings done today. Took it to my mechanic friend's shop and $150 later, done. Oh boy!! what a difference. As you can imagine, i had most of the symptoms associated with bad bushings. Noises, uneven tire wear, shaky steering, and vibration during cruising and braking. Lets just say just about every symptom has been addressed. Also prior to installation, my alignment was off but for some strange reason replacing these bushings corrected a lot of the misalignment. Ride is tighter, decreased NVH, less rolling in corners and, although it may be my imagination, it seems faster. lol. The guy who performed the work(not my friend) started by removing the whole control arm not knowing that the bushings slide right off the arm . I informed him of this at the same time he realized it when the arm was on the table. Anyways, lesson learned and the arm was return back to form. Did a check of my lower ball joints and all is well with them as is other components in that area. Next up is all three motor mounts and probably the sway bushings. Nevertheless, i'm very surprised how much these two bushings contributed to a number of aliments my ride had. Glad its done and now onto the next.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 09-18-15 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-18-15, 09:13 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I need to do this job, I noticed some shakey steering and looked under my car to find a large puddle of oil right underneath the bushing.

My only concern doing it myself is I don't have a hydraulic press, but there are ways around that.

I think this one of those repairs that EVERY LS430 needs to have done at least once by now.
Old 09-18-15, 10:53 AM
Anthony81
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely on my list of things to do. I also have the shaky braking and clunks when hitting a bump or leaving the driveway too quickly. Just got new tires and an alignment. Old tires were unevenly worn, and my car still pulls a little to the right.
Old 09-18-15, 05:22 PM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to get this done as well. Did you get OEM parts or what? Would you happen to have the part number? Any info is appreciated thanks!
The following users liked this post:
javad4825 (06-11-23)
Old 09-19-15, 07:28 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im sure mine need to be replaced, not sure if i want these or the genB ones
Old 09-19-15, 01:11 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PersianOne
I need to get this done as well. Did you get OEM parts or what? Would you happen to have the part number? Any info is appreciated thanks!
Yes i did use OEM parts. I wanna keep it as oem as possible to retain that classic LS430 ride. I order them along with the mounts from Sewell last year and finally had a chance to put them on but here are some on eBay you may wanna check out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-TOYOTA-OEM-01-06-LS430-Lower-Control-Arm-Front-Bushings-4865550012-/221809377740?fits=Model%3ALS430&hash=item33a4de81cc&vxp=mtr
Old 09-20-15, 07:22 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The LCA bushes do help a lot when they are bad. OEM is the way I went as well.

I have also replaced my front LBJ's and my inner and outer tie rod ends. The tie rod ends made a healthy improvement in the whole feel of the steering. I recommend it if your mileage is like mine. 136k. It surprised me how much it improved the overall feel.

I went with Beck Arnley LBJ's and tie rod ends due to the parts being 1/3 the cost of oem. I have no regrets. Quality parts made in Taiwan.
Old 09-20-15, 02:55 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The LCA bushes do help a lot when they are bad. OEM is the way I went as well.

I have also replaced my front LBJ's and my inner and outer tie rod ends. The tie rod ends made a healthy improvement in the whole feel of the steering. I recommend it if your mileage is like mine. 136k. It surprised me how much it improved the overall feel.

I went with Beck Arnley LBJ's and tie rod ends due to the parts being 1/3 the cost of oem. I have no regrets. Quality parts made in Taiwan.
Although the tech said the LBJ and tie rod ends looked fine I might just replace them anyways due to the mileage. The LCA bushing did sure up my ride and some how corrected the alignment some I do still have some slight steering jitters.
Old 10-01-15, 10:07 AM
Ron10346
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had both LCA bushings replaced yesterday (05 LS430 – 91,000 miles), total cost plus an alignment for $375.00. I was experiencing no unusual symptoms aside from the fact I saw oil on the garage floor and found it dripping from the driver’s side bushing. It leaked a bit after parking the car but stopped and didn’t leak again. Regardless, I had the repair done with a week of first seeing the leak by a friend who works for a Lexus dealer... not our local dealer.

The local Lexus dealer near me in Santa Rosa, California, quoted $1187.00 without the alignment. Having done a lot of reading and research before I called the dealer for a quote, I asked why so much and was told… erroneously… that the entire lower control arm needed to be replaced. I have lost all faith in the competence of this dealership due to this and past experiences, a few of which are described in prior postings.

We typically keep our cars for 10 years and will be shopping to replace our Lexus soon however, although we really enjoy Lexus and the brand, the local dealership is a significant disappointment and will likely discourage our purchase of another.
Old 10-01-15, 12:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

My LCA bushings have had hairline cracks on them since I purchased the car 5 years ago. Car steers straight, no vibrations, tires wear evenly, and no noises other than the brake pads shifting when moving forward and backward. No oil staining either. If any noises develop or other symptoms, I'll address them. $375 sounds really cheap.
Old 10-01-15, 01:08 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I just had mine done also.

I was planning on doing them myself and maybe a little DIY write up, but I didn't have access to a shop press to press it out and press the new one in . They look like a pretty straightforward job though if you have the right tools, not much more difficult than swapping out say sway bar bushings. I thought I could maybe use my ball joint press (basically a large, heavy duty C-clamp) but it simply wasn't large enough.

I had an independent shop I've used before do it for $140 for doing the whole job, I provided the bushings. They were Lexus brand, around $62 per bushing. So the entire job was around $260.

I had it done because I had an oil puddle on the floor underneath it where it had clearly leaked out and I also noticed some popping noises just going down the road. The bushings themselves externally looked pretty good though. Maybe some hairline cracks, but nothing appeared torn or rotted.

The new bushings made a slight difference, the car feels a little more "glued" to the road and some steering vibration has been lessoned. Also, there was some feedback that didn't feel right when I was making a sharp turn for a parking maneuver that feels a bit smoother. And the popping noise seems to be gone.

My car had 160k miles on it, not sure if they had ever been replaced before.

I'm not sure it's something I would run out and replace unless you were really having issues. The before and after is definitely subtle. It's probably something I would hold off on and wait until you're ready to rebuild you're entire front end. But then again, some might be in much worse shape than others.

Last edited by BradTank; 10-01-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 02:55 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Found a Harbor Freight Super Coupon good for a 20 ton press for $149.99. I'm a tool magnet, so a cheap excuse to buy a tool, was all I needed. I had bought the OEM bushings a few weeks ago. Very straight forward. Very glad I did them. Eliminated the the thump up and down driveways, and makes the front end feel tighter. A few pics of my old ones and the new press. I used the fittings from a Ball Joint press to remove and install the new bushings. My LS has 135K miles on it presently.

Randy B
Attached Thumbnails LCA bushings done!!!-left-side.jpg   LCA bushings done!!!-right-side.jpg   LCA bushings done!!!-press.jpg  

Last edited by Randy B; 12-28-15 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-29-15, 01:52 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My lower control arm front bushings were cracked as well as the rear. I was charged $90 to replace the rear bushings by pressing out the old and pressing in the new with myself installing. My total cost was $158 for the rear bushing replacement had I not replaced the arm by doing the work myself.
My Ls430 has always been a southern car and has 135K on it. If my front lower control arm bushings were cracked I don't see how they wouldn't be on other vehicles as well. My lower arms were OEM to the car and had never been replaced.
If my fronts hadn't been cracked, I would have gladly paid a shop $100 to replace the rear over and above what it cost me to do it by myself. I just hope these shops were familiar enough to know that the LS430 has certain procedures that MUST be followed in installing the rear bushings.
I couldn't find a single shop willing to take my parts and install them for me. They all required that I only use their parts as ordered by them.
Old 12-29-15, 07:12 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by grunner58
I couldn't find a single shop willing to take my parts and install them for me. They all required that I only use their parts as ordered by them.
I find the same thing here. It seems that most shops don't want the liability of installing something they didn't order.
Old 12-29-15, 08:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Order the OEM part and pay labor only through a Toyota dealership. Should not be an issue with OEM parts.

Quick Reply: LCA bushings done!!!