LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ziebart Rust Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 06:11 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ziebart Rust Proofing

I would like to get all your thoughts on rust proofing the LS430 inside and out. I know they drill holes in the doors and stuff to get oil inside. Could this cause any electrical/mechanical problems? Should I take the door panels off instead to let them have more access? I live in Indiana and this winter was brutal, salt and snow everywhere and didn't see any threads on others doing this service. Does Lexus galvanize the body or have factory rust proofing at all? Thanks everyone!
Old 03-12-14, 06:19 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

you dont need to do that anymore.ziebart did more harm then good.cars are electric dipped and do not rust like the old days.
Old 03-12-14, 06:42 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ Correct. Our steel is not even galvanized (the anti rust coating is applied to the outside of the metal). Our steel is galvannealed (the anti rust coating is actually baked into the metal.) Like my boss always says "The only Lexus you will see with rust has had insufficient bodywork done to it, or has been the victim of SEVERE neglect it's entire life." It will probably do more harm than good. BTW What are they going to charge you to do that rustproofing?
Old 03-12-14, 07:11 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't gone in for an actual quote but a couple years ago it was about $400 for a four door sedan. If you guys are saying that these Lexus' don't rust then I won't worry about it.
Old 03-12-14, 07:50 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Save the $400. Use that to do your next service on the car.
Old 03-12-14, 08:06 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I put 200k on my last LS never saw any rusted panels, fascia etc. Watch your rims, pull out the center caps and wax em up outside and inside..
Old 03-12-14, 12:04 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nooooooooo!
Old 02-10-15, 10:52 AM
chicagojac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oh there is RUST!

I have no idea why posts are suggesting rust is not a problem. I have a 2006 LS430 that is spotless except for rust above the trim on both front doors. I take great care of this car, hand waxed at least 3 times per year,always washed and only 60,000 miles. There is road salt in Chicago of course but that has not been a valid excuse since the 1980's. There are lots of much older cars without rust including my 2000 Ford Focus. I am the only owner of this my third LS. Love the car but this is an obvious defect because I see the exact same spot rusting on at least half the LS cars I spot in parking lots.

Any way don't blame yourself for, as it was suggested," taking poor care of your car". In this case it's not you it's the car!

BTW I did not know Ziebart was still around!
Old 02-10-15, 11:36 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, my LS isnt rusting.. However, my mothers ES is rusting above the wheel wells on the fenders in the rear.. There was no body damage to cause it, just road salt is all i can think of.. Need a way to fix it.. Appears that body repair is in order

Last edited by KawiLex; 02-10-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 11:53 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Indiana where salt is abundant in the winter months. In the fall and spring, I climb under my LS with a can of Fluid Film and spray areas that might be starting to rust. I also remove the little plastic trim around the rear wheel well and clean it and spray with Fluid Film. I also have a 32" spraying wand that will get inside door panels and fenders. I use it to spray into rockers, fenders, etc.

I have found that the LS is pretty well protected from major rusting. I am just trying to prevent the little ugly spot areas of rust. I have found that the Fluid Film product goes on well and protects, although it will wash off in time. But it is non petroleum based and is easy to work with. I am not endorsing it, just mentioning that I use it and really like it and you can easily DIY -> http://www.kellsportproducts.com/fluidfilmkits.html
Old 02-10-15, 12:19 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagojac
I have no idea why posts are suggesting rust is not a problem. I have a 2006 LS430 that is spotless except for rust above the trim on both front doors. I take great care of this car, hand waxed at least 3 times per year,always washed and only 60,000 miles. There is road salt in Chicago of course but that has not been a valid excuse since the 1980's. There are lots of much older cars without rust including my 2000 Ford Focus. I am the only owner of this my third LS. Love the car but this is an obvious defect because I see the exact same spot rusting on at least half the LS cars I spot in parking lots.

Any way don't blame yourself for, as it was suggested," taking poor care of your car". In this case it's not you it's the car!

BTW I did not know Ziebart was still around!
I think the answer on rust depends upon where the car lives ... Here in the midwest, I've seen many LS's with rust around the trim of the front doors (as Chicagojac points out), at the wheel opening molding trim at the rear wheels, as well as trim around trunk under the license plate lights. I've confirmed same with dealer that these are vulnerable spots.
Old 02-10-15, 09:48 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank god we don't get snow then..
Old 02-11-15, 06:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
as well as trim around trunk under the license plate lights. I've confirmed same with dealer that these are vulnerable spots.
Yup, that's the only spot I've noticed on my LS. Just below the trim on the lip of the deck lid, there's a small bubble. I'll sand it this spring and use some touch up paint, as it's not a very noticeable area. My 2000 RX300 has no rust that I've noticed, except for a couple small chips in the wheel arch that have rust in them.

My 2002 GMC Sonoma has a gaping rust hole on the passenger's side cab corner, and the tail gate is rusting away as well... Quite the difference from the Lexus....
Old 02-11-15, 07:24 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You need to keep them clean in the winter and make sure you use touchup paint on all chips and scratches...
Old 10-03-15, 12:37 PM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

I'm gonna play it safe and get the Ziebart. The wife drives over a mountain road that is salt and chatted allot in the winter. That chat beats the **** out of the car. We have 2 2K Camrys and hers has a good bit of rust towards the rear from the plugs coming off the bottom of the rocker panels. The hardware under her car is in bad shape. Lost a brake line about 2 weeks ago. They don't make them anymore either. I will say had I caught the plugs missing, it would have made a huge difference. The hardware under it, just caught hell. It has 365K on it and 15 yo, but had the rust not gotten to it, I bet the car would last 500k with no problems. Plan on keep this RX350 for that or longer.

Quick Reply: Ziebart Rust Proofing