Rain Sensor does not always work

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 11:07 AM
Ather
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Sensor does not always work

Hi All,
I searched previous posts and found a few related posts but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. The rain sensor on my 06 LS430 seems to only work when I press it against the glass with my finger. I am the second owner of the car and the windshield looks OEM (not sure). I noticed that it seems to wabble a bit when a try to move and there is a slight gap when I push it forward with my finger. Is there a way to tighten it or close that gap without having to get another sensor?

Thanks very much,
Ather
Old 12-08-12, 04:39 PM
philboyj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you already tried adjusting the sensitivity / speed of the rain sensor.

Personally I don't like the rain sensor - especially when my wipers are in poor condition / dirt on the windshield. The first wipe reduces visibility and if I am in the middle of a lane change or other similar maneuver, it is quite distracting and takes your attention off for a few moments - especially with the reduced visibility.
Old 12-08-12, 07:38 PM
HDMike
Driver School Candidate

Something I discovered with mine, was that the windshield was not OEM, although it looked it. When it was replaced ther was no pad installed. This may be a part of your problem. After having the pad replaced I discovered that the sensor may be out to lunch, so that is the next thing. Unfortunately, here in AZ it doesn't rain much, so testing it can be fun.
Old 12-08-12, 08:37 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ather
Hi All,
I searched previous posts and found a few related posts but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. The rain sensor on my 06 LS430 seems to only work when I press it against the glass with my finger. I am the second owner of the car and the windshield looks OEM (not sure). I noticed that it seems to wabble a bit when a try to move and there is a slight gap when I push it forward with my finger. Is there a way to tighten it or close that gap without having to get another sensor?

Thanks very much,
Ather
Same with mine, windshield has been replaced also.
I will be replacing my windshield (again) very soon (cracked on lower passenger side) I will ask installer about sensor issue.
Old 12-09-12, 06:34 AM
Kweigel
Rookie

1. I'm amazed it works at all without the gel pad, it is key.
2. If you replace your windshield, make sure you do not get an XYG windshield (Xingyang Province, China). Your rain sensor will not work with it, trust me, I know. PPG, or PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) works fine. Has to do with the refractive index of the glass, and the working of the sensor. Both look fine, but the Chinese glass will not work
Old 12-10-12, 09:51 AM
Ather
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.
I took the rains sensor apart on the weekend and noticed that there some extra space between the housing and the actual sensor itself thus creating the wabble and breaking the connection between the sensor and the glass. I decided to put something there and fill the space with some kind of rubber so the sensor will be snug and always press against the glass. Now I don't have to push it against the glass with my finger to make it work. I was not able to test it much but a quick test worked okay. Let's see what happens next time it rains. I will try to spray some water on the car to see if works.

Cheers,
Ather
Old 12-14-12, 07:59 AM
HDMike
Driver School Candidate

Thanks forhe update on the type of glass and the refraction on them, something I was not aware of.
Old 04-16-14, 06:40 PM
TonalGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kweigel
1. I'm amazed it works at all without the gel pad, it is key.
2. If you replace your windshield, make sure you do not get an XYG windshield (Xingyang Province, China). Your rain sensor will not work with it, trust me, I know. PPG, or PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) works fine. Has to do with the refractive index of the glass, and the working of the sensor. Both look fine, but the Chinese glass will not work
Thanks Kweigel, nail on the head, just looked on my windshield and to my dismay it is a XYG made in China unit , ill change it and see .