04 ls4

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 05:48 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ls4

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a used LS4 and wanted to check in with you guys and see if you could give me any tips/suggestions.

I found a decent 04 locally with low miles and the right price. Can anyone tell me the differences in the 02, 04 and 06 models?

thanks for the help!
Old 04-10-11, 05:54 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so a search on the topic and you'll find easily 20 interesting posts on the topic. The major '04-'06 changes over the '01-'03 were slight changes on the front and rear fascia with rear taillights going to LED lights. Transmission went from 5 to 6-speed, dropping 0-60 from like 6.3 to 5.9 sec. Nav. included the rear backup camera (and bluetooth, which I'm not sure if '01-'03 had). Those are really the items that sold me.

Happy shopping and reading online.
Old 04-10-11, 09:33 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Thank you for the response. I have been doing research on here and reading threads as well.

So basically I will want at least an 04.

Are there any known issues with this model?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-11, 09:41 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There were some TSBs that you may want to read up on (transmission software, gas filler premature clicking). Most cars have had these addressed already, many don't even exhibit the problem. The trans in my 04 is very smooth and the gas filler thing only happened once so far in 7+mo of ownership (I got around it by gently squeezing the gas nozzle). Make sure you go on the Lexus service site and see that the car has had a service every 5k mi. Other than that, it's like buying any other car (make sure no accidents, no odd paint work, etc). Good luck, hope to see you on the LS side soon!
Old 04-10-11, 09:57 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This will probably come as a shock to you... But here is my thought...

I had a few LSs in my life and I have to say the third generation are full of issues!! Some might say otherwise but I know of a few friends that had 04-05 model LSs and they all had the same issues!!

Look at a 2000 model if you want a Lexus... Anything after that is a pile of garbage!!

The fourth gen are even worse... Just my opinion.. I only had about 3 LSs to come to this conclusion!!

You might ask then why do I have a venza.. If lexuses are bad... Only reason.. Lease is cheap and free maintenance!!

Last edited by JDMUSCLE; 04-10-11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-10-11, 10:12 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out the recent blog on this forum"how many miles on your LS" and you will see a long list of high mileage owners raving about reliability. Consumer reports, JD Powers and others lists this car as one of the most reliable cars ever, without even consideration to its european competitors luxury class wihich are much more problematic. Some say airbags, some say mirror motors, or steering wheel electronics but this car is frick'in bulletproof in my 132k miles of ownership. My thoughts are you start buying even the most solid expensive luxury car in the years 2000 and below and that then you start to see repairs simply with age.

BTW I am getting 24 mpg's in all around driving and I do no really baby my 0 Want the least problems get the Premium without all the gadgets but even the ML, Cl and Ultra are very solid. Get an inspection at Lexus fro 125 bucks.
Old 04-10-11, 10:14 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Baby my 04 I meant
Old 04-10-11, 11:01 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

The Lexus I am looking at is from a Lexus dealer.

You guys don't have to sell me on the LEX. Lexus is the 2nd car I have ever owned and I will never own another.

I started with a 97 ES3 back in 2000, then went to the 06 GS. I have 07 RX and now I am looking to get a LS (always wanted one).

I know with the GS there is a interior noise issue. Not really a big deal but if you look over on the GS forums there is always a discussion going on about it. I was asking more about issues like this other than reliability of the car .

I'll read up on the "how many miles" thread.

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-11, 11:30 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

The only thing is the infamous window creak. Read up on it here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4989984-post1.html

There are several other threads as well. I am going to try (yet again) to fix it today...wish me luck lol. It's something that you won't notice much on the first drive (b/c the car is probably a lot quieter than what you're used to). After a while, when you get used to the silence, you'll start to notice it. Happens to me mainly on low speed broken/bumpy pavement.
Old 04-10-11, 12:32 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, 2004 LS is a LSIII (three), not some unknown 'LS4'.
also, 03->04 MY changes included: AFS (active headlights), VGRS (active steering angle adjust), radar/laser cruise control, besides already mentioned body changes, new tranny (which is not the best toyota tranny...).

In a nutshell, LSIII 04 will be the most reliable vehicle if you compare it to simillar classed/aged vehicles from bmw, merc (not even speaking about usa cars - they are disposable). Yes, there may be some repairs needed along the way, but if you keep yourself from going to stealers and their part depts, you will be able to maintain it rather cheap...
Old 04-10-11, 01:10 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
The only thing is the infamous window creak....I am going to try (yet again) to fix it today...
I am pleased to announce that my issue is finally FIXED! Not wanting to wait a week for the Sonus to get here (I used all of the first bottle...in the wrong area), I looked around and found some petrolium jelly from Meijers laying around (vasoline pretty much). I applied this to the upper part of the door itself (not the window seals, but the part that contacts the metal body. The rattles were completely gone! I fell in love with the LS all over again. Now the only noise I hear over bumps are the tires hitting the road (not much I can do but wait till the stock Dunlops wear out). This is probably the cheapest method out there, not to mention the most accessible. In theory, it will just lubricate without damaging the actual material. Will let you know how it works in the long run.

In terms of reliability, many do say that it's gone down from the LS400. I don't doubt them. However, I have had ZERO mechanical or electrical issues with mine, and that included a harsh MI winter. My car is always parked in a structure at school, but the ambient temps are almost as low as it would be outdoors (unlike the nice heated garage). It always fires up smoothly and runs like a champ. One thing to make sure of when searching is that the car didn't have abnormal amounts of trips to the dealer, only a routine stop every 5k mi.

Last edited by CarGuy89; 04-10-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 02:02 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In terms of buying a used used LS430 there are two varieties - 01-03 and the refreshed version 04-06. Both versions are great cars - there are several threads you can search that will give you specific changes between years. If you are looking at an 03 you might as well search all 01-03 as they are almost identical. Same is true for 04-06, they are almost identical.

I have had my 06 LS 430 18 months now - only repair issue was the driver's side door mirror motor went bad - replaced under warranty. No other issues, car is perfect - no noise, leaks, rattles, vibration, nothing - runs like its brand new. If I totaled mine in an accident, I would buy another one immediately, would not even consider another car at this point....OK maybe an SC430 as I really don't need a 4 seater anymore.
Old 04-12-11, 06:55 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE

I had a few LSs in my life and I have to say the third generation are full of issues!! Some might say otherwise but I know of a few friends that had 04-05 model LSs and they all had the same issues!!

Look at a 2000 model if you want a Lexus... Anything after that is a pile of garbage!!

The fourth gen are even worse... Just my opinion.. I only had about 3 LSs to come to this conclusion!!

You might ask then why do I have a venza.. If lexuses are bad... Only reason.. Lease is cheap and free maintenance!!
My 2003 LS430 has 200K miles and is still rock solid. The LS430 is a great daily driver, I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-12-11, 08:38 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

My 04 was bought with 65K miles and now has 90 and not so much as a rattle, squeak, buzz or anything. Of course I maintain mine at Lexus but you can't go wrong. I think all of the posts in this forum are a good confirmation of that. Very wise choice to go with an 04-06. Timeless beauty like the 2nd generation E Class without the headaches!!
Old 04-13-11, 08:15 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE

Wow - Pretty broad subjective brushstroke without an explanation

Quick Reply: 04 ls4