LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windshield Chip Repair? or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 04:40 PM
MavGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Chip Repair? or Replace?

I am new Lexus 05' LS owner, and on the way home tonight a stone chipped my windshield on the driver's side. I searched the threads and discovered how expensive these windshields are.

My question is would you just have the chip filled or have it replaced with an OEM windshield? I have never had a windshield repaired before. I mainly concerned with quality of a repair and if I will would have problems with it later. Is the repair hard to see? Do the repairs break down later? Is best to bite the bullet and have it replaced under my comprehensive insurance? If I have it replaced it looks like a $2k claim I had heard somewhere your insurance rates usually do not go up for these types of claims. If I have it replace I want to make sure it's OEM with rain repellent coating etc. One of my biggest concerns is making sure that I do not end up with any wind noise etc. The car is a 2005, but it is black on black and like new. It's the best car I have ever driven. Kinda of discouraging . . .
Old 03-17-11, 05:11 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! I have had many windshields repaired and heartily endorse getting it done before the crack spreads. The only chips that don't repair well are the shell-shaped ones. They will remain visible after repair. For most star chips, you will likely be the only one who notices it after the repair - and only if you go looking for it.

Given the special nature of the LS430 windshield and sensitive attachment of the automatic wiper sensor, I would get it filled unless it has cracked more than the diameter of a quarter. Use a reputable glass service (not the fly-by-night folks who set up at Wal-Mart) and have it done indoors or by a mobile service on a warm day.
Old 03-17-11, 05:29 PM
MavGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. The chip is not star shaped, there does not appear to be any lines/cracks per se' shooting out from the center of it. It's shaped like a smooth bullet style chip if that makes sense. It's about the size the end of my pinky finger.
Old 03-17-11, 05:46 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Have it repaired, I have had it done at a good glass shop (didn't want to make an insurance claim). They charged $20 and while the star crack was on the drivers side in the line of sight, after a week I didn't notice the repair. Worst case is you have it repaired and don't like the results. Then you make an insurance claim and certainty cost you $20.
Old 03-18-11, 08:03 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

If the chip does not have any "legs", I would go for the repair. Although it won't disappear after the repair it won't be that noticeable either if not directly in front of your view. Be careful that you have a reputable company so that if they cause further damage they will be able to replace the windshield for you. Good luck.
Old 03-18-11, 08:21 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a similar issue a few years back on my LS. I called the insurance company and was told i had a separate, smaller deductible on my windshield. They did, however, ask where the chip was. After telling them it was on my driver side, they said i'd have to replace the windshield, as they will not cover a ding repair near the line of sight for the driver. Of source, ding repair was free by my insurer, and the glass replacement was a couple hundred. So, i payed for a ding repair out of my own pocket. It was less than $50.

Also, i've been told that every conversation you have with your insurance company is documented, so your details can come back to bite you. When i switched companies, they brought up the glass issue and asked me if there was a payout. Scary!
Old 03-18-11, 08:29 AM
jac430
Driver

With my previous car I also had a chipped damage with even the beginning of formation of a star.
I had it repaired by a guy who had set up shop for the day at a large car park near the office.
I admit that he did not look super reliable to me, but nevertheless the repair has been done expertly.
It took a few days to get rid of his cigar smell
At the time I did not have an insurance that would cover the costs, so I had to pay for it myself. It was not expensive.

I have driven the car over 10 years since the repair (till I bought the LS430 recently) and never had any problems with the windshield. I even forgot to mention it to the buyer of my car. After minute inspection he discovered the place of the repair himself, but it did not bother him either. If you payed no special attention to it, you certainly would not notice it.

The windshield of my LS430 is a different story though.
Just before I had arranged with the (private) seller a test drive, he had a stone chipping the windshield at the passenger side.
He had it repaired, but the result was below par. The glass looked flattened also. During normal driving, again, you would not notice it though.
His insurance covered a full replacement, and he had that done before I bought the car.
The windshield replacement was not done by Lexus, but by a windshield-repair company. (Otherwise he had to pay a part of it himself.) They ordered (and used) an original Lexus windshield and associated strips from Lexus.
If the car had been mine already, I would have negotiated with Lexus to do it for the same price as the repair company, so that I would not have to pay a part. I think I would have succeeded with that. But unfortunately it was not my call....

In this country your insurance premium does not go up for these repairs (If you have the right insurance, otherwise you have to pay everything yourself).
Don't hesitate to ask your own insurance company on beforehand.

Hope this helps a bit to be able to come to a decision.

Jac
Old 03-18-11, 02:21 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i have geico and they will fix a chip for free.check you insurance company.
Old 03-18-11, 06:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Anytime you call your insurance company, even if the claim is denied, it is considered a claim. For the small stuff such as chips, just have it repaired and leave the insurance company out of it. You can be sure they always get back what they give you plus more!
Old 03-18-11, 09:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

It depends on insurance company and varies form policy to policy. When I had Geico, they will fix glass chips for free under comprehensive coverage with no deductible, and it will not count against you or raise costs. Other policies may vary.
Old 03-19-11, 06:42 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

^^^^^what he said^^^^^^ive been with geico sence 1980 and had many chips repaired with out penalty of death.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 03-19-11 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 06:55 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My State Farm policy covers glass replacement with zero deductible under comprehensive coverage. However, there is no longer coverage for glass repair.
Old 03-19-11, 09:00 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Front windshield repairs/replacement in general are covered under comprehensive with zero deductible. At least that is the case here in Florida.
Old 03-21-11, 04:24 PM
MavGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the advice.
Old 09-14-11, 05:13 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

i would take a guess and say you have something to do with this company?^^^^

Quick Reply: Windshield Chip Repair? or Replace?