LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver side mirror - adjustment switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 05:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Driver side mirror - adjustment switch

Just started this weekend - first time for some thing not working on my 06 LS. My driver side mirror only adjusts side to side but not up or down using the interior mirror adjustment switch. The passenger side still adjusts up and down and side to side fine. My guess per reading the forum is the mirror adjustment switch is ganked. Since the car is CPO my first inclination is to have Lexus repair/replace. I know there is a diy fix on the forum for the switch and I am temped to just do the diy and not take it in. Is there any advantage to getting Lexus to replace the switch instead of doing the diy switch cleaning fix? Thoughts?

btw - this is a great example of how valuable the forum is - I'm driving home Saturday night and I went to adjust the driver mirror and noticed it would not adjust up and down, and almost immediately thought ahh-ha...that's very likely the faulty mirror switch problem that I read about on the forum.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-12-10 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 08:53 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Is there any advantage to getting Lexus to replace the switch instead of doing the diy switch cleaning fix? Thoughts?
The only POTENTIAL problem you might run into is if you try to fix it yourself and it doesn't work, the dealer might say someone has tampered with it which COULD (not saying it would) negate the CPO contract. Don't think this would happen but ya just never know.

If you still have plenty of time/mileage left on your CPO, why not just wait for your next Lexus service visit, unless you're in the habit of adjusting your mirror on a regular basis? Then again, from reading your posts, like many in here (including yours truly) you're out of sorts when everythings not 100% right on your LS.

Btw, thanks for all your past contributions.
Old 10-12-10, 10:32 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Just started this weekend - first time for some thing not working on my 06 LS. My driver side mirror only adjusts side to side but not up or down using the interior mirror adjustment switch. The passenger side still adjusts up and down and side to side fine. My guess per reading the forum is the mirror adjustment switch is ganked. Since the car is CPO my first inclination is to have Lexus repair/replace. I know there is a diy fix on the forum for the switch and I am temped to just do the diy and not take it in. Is there any advantage to getting Lexus to replace the switch instead of doing the diy switch cleaning fix? Thoughts?

btw - this is a great example of how valuable the forum is - I'm driving home Saturday night and I went to adjust the driver mirror and noticed it would not adjust up and down, and almost immediately thought ahh-ha...that's very likely the faulty mirror switch problem that I read about on the forum.
I wouldn't even think about trying to fix it since you have CPO warranty. For instance, the dealer might even replace the mirror assembly. When I had a problem with one of my mirrors on CPO, the dealer just changed both mirrors.

As for me, I'd have the car to the dealer immediately. I can't stand any little thing being wrong on my car.
Old 10-12-10, 12:02 PM
Jabberwock

Thanks guys - made an appointment to take it in tomorrow.
Old 10-12-10, 04:07 PM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys - made an appointment to take it in tomorrow.
But... that switch is so easy to take out and the assembly so simple. Attempting to DIY will not leave any traces.

I'm your typical DIY challenged and managed to get that one right. Next to no risk to screw up.
Old 10-13-10, 01:59 PM
Jabberwock

My Lexus service advisor just called me and let me know the mirror switch tested fine but apparently the problem is in the mirror and that I need a new driver's side mirror assembly. I guess the 3 year CPO warranty is actually gonna come in handy. With a Premium option car I never thought I'd actually use it.
Old 10-14-10, 08:50 AM
Yaff
Driver

My Lexus service advisor just called me and let me know the mirror switch tested fine but apparently the problem is in the mirror and that I need a new driver's side mirror assembly.
Funny you say that. My Lexus service advisor told me the very same. Except mine was no longer covered. The cost of the repair was a good reason for me to try cleaning the switch myself.

About a year later, the mirror still work like a charm.

Go figure. Oh... And I replaced the service advisor at no extra charge ;-)
Old 10-14-10, 09:02 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why touch anything when ya have the CPO,,

Derry
Old 10-14-10, 09:24 AM
Yaff
Driver

Originally Posted by CG lover
why touch anything when ya have the CPO,,
Derry
That's Jabberwock's approach and it is a valid point. Dealer makes money and the customer is happy.

But why fixing something that isn't broken?
You don't have to answer, it's a retorical question.
Old 10-14-10, 12:46 PM
Jabberwock

I am not going to object to getting a brand new drivers side mirror. There is certainly a chance the dealer is wrong and its a bad switch. They certainly have been known to make mistakes. personally I wish they would swap both mirrors out as these seem to be parts that fail over time and are very expensive to replace out of warranty.
Old 10-14-10, 06:31 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I am not going to object to getting a brand new drivers side mirror. There is certainly a chance the dealer is wrong and its a bad switch. They certainly have been known to make mistakes. personally I wish they would swap both mirrors out as these seem to be parts that fail over time and are very expensive to replace out of warranty.
How can you go wrong with a new mirror assembly for free? You just zero-timed the mirror. Can't do better than that, IMO.
Old 10-14-10, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

I did learn something in this exercise with the mirror and the nature of the CPO warranty. My service manager told me the standard Lexus CPO warranty is actually purchased from and underwritten by a third party warranty company (not Toyota, not Lexus). So the specific Lexus dealer selling you a "CPO" car actually buys a 3 year warranty in your name from this third party warranty company (apparently the same company is used by all Lexus dealers in the US).

So when I come in with my broken mirror, the dealer first files a claim for the repair cost with the 3rd party warranty company and if they agree that it is covered, then and only then does the dealer make the "covered" repair. For some reason I assumed Toyota would just self insure on these Lexus warranties as it seems to me that they would be able to derive added profit from both ends of the probability curve on the extended warranties and break even on the rest - but I guess not.
Old 10-15-10, 01:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I did learn something in this exercise with the mirror and the nature of the CPO warranty. My service manager told me the standard Lexus CPO warranty is actually purchased from and underwritten by a third party warranty company (not Toyota, not Lexus). So the specific Lexus dealer selling you a "CPO" car actually buys a 3 year warranty in your name from this third party warranty company (apparently the same company is used by all Lexus dealers in the US).

So when I come in with my broken mirror, the dealer first files a claim for the repair cost with the 3rd party warranty company and if they agree that it is covered, then and only then does the dealer make the "covered" repair. For some reason I assumed Toyota would just self insure on these Lexus warranties as it seems to me that they would be able to derive added profit from both ends of the probability curve on the extended warranties and break even on the rest - but I guess not.
Very good info. I did not know that. Now thats a bit more info i have if and when i trade up to the 460. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-15-10, 03:45 PM
Jabberwock

Picked it up today with the shiny new driver's side mirror attached. Bill was 696 dollars covered at 100% by CPO warranty. Mirrors come factory repainted - part numbers have an embedded factory paint code.

I had the oil changed with Mobil 1 while it was in at Lexus since it had been almost 5 months. Had a loaner IS250 while the LS was getting worked on - sure felt good to get back in the LS 430 : )